Page 609 of 632 FirstFirst ... 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 ... LastLast
Results 15,201 to 15,225 of 15792
  1. #15201
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    4,242
    The manmade is from the sewage treatment plant so maybe it was yellow to begin with.

  2. #15202
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    14,633
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    The manmade is from the sewage treatment plant so maybe it was yellow to begin with.
    Reminds me of the Poconos man made I grew up skiing. Basically just super hard frozen piss water. Sharp edges are your friend!

  3. #15203
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    384
    Anyone want to take bets on Bridger opening day? First to guess the correct opening day, I'll buy you a beer at the griz. Scheduled to open Friday and I give that about a 1% chance of happening...

  4. #15204
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    17,462
    The BB Patrol Director called me today to check on references for a guy from MLB/BS he has hired. I asked him what he was doing? "Watching it snowmake" was the reply.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  5. #15205
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    The manmade is from the sewage treatment plant so maybe it was yellow to begin with.
    They havenít built the system yet. They have the permit, but theyíre still working on engineering spec approval.

  6. #15206
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,184
    Whitefish opening day just got bumped back. First time (in as long as anyone can remember) that happened. These damn inconvenient truths can frig off.

  7. #15207
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montucky
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    They haven’t built the system yet. They have the permit, but they’re still working on engineering spec approval.
    yup, current snowmaking at Big Sky is using Lake Levinsky, (according to a stoked skier snowmaker dude I was chatting with on the trolley)

    I thought that it was YC that was going to use the shitty greywater..? ColoRado does...

  8. #15208
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Belgrade, MT
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Anyone want to take bets on Bridger opening day? First to guess the correct opening day, I'll buy you a beer at the griz. Scheduled to open Friday and I give that about a 1% chance of happening...
    Iíll call Christmas Eve.

  9. #15209
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Was UT, AK, now MT
    Posts
    11,799
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I have bogged down most wheeled or tracked mountain machines known to man in the super faceted early season Montucky snow.

    But, I reckon a combo of tracked four wheeler, (or even a burly 3x3) for early season and then sled for late season is a winner.
    Same, have a long, multi-year history of epics in Hyalite Canyon LONG before it was plowed trying to get past the dam to shorten the approach for ice routes. Breaking chains, walking out, skiing down the entire canyon, etc......That canyon was always interesting in the early 90's.

  10. #15210
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    5,460
    TH, what came of the tracked Samurai? I remember reading about that and seeing your pics and was always impressed, seemed fun.

  11. #15211
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Gallatin County
    Posts
    1,239
    Almost looks like October with the 2 inches of snow that fell last night at 6800 feet. Heading out to tackle the Pocono style slope conditions. Yellow snow always reminds me of Frank Zappa.

    Dreamed I was an eskimo
    Frozen wind began to blow
    Under my boots and around my toes
    The frost that bit the ground below

    It was a hundred degrees below zero...
    And my mama cried
    And my mama cried
    Nanook, a-no-no
    Nanook, a-no-no
    Don't be a naughty eskimo

    Save your money, don't go to the show
    Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
    Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
    Well I turned around and I said ho, ho
    And the northern lights commenced to glow

    And she said, with a tear in her eye
    Watch out where the huskies go,
    And don't you eat that yellow snow
    Watch out where the huskies go,
    And don't you eat that yellow snow

  12. #15212
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Was UT, AK, now MT
    Posts
    11,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    TH, what came of the tracked Samurai? I remember reading about that and seeing your pics and was always impressed, seemed fun.
    Found a new home 8 yrs ago when we moved to Alaska. Fun, quirky.

  13. #15213
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    14,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Almost looks like October with the 2 inches of snow that fell last night at 6800 feet. Heading out to tackle the Pocono style slope conditions. Yellow snow always reminds me of Frank Zappa.

    Dreamed I was an eskimo
    Frozen wind began to blow
    Under my boots and around my toes
    The frost that bit the ground below

    It was a hundred degrees below zero...
    And my mama cried
    And my mama cried
    Nanook, a-no-no
    Nanook, a-no-no
    Don't be a naughty eskimo

    Save your money, don't go to the show
    Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
    Well I turned around and I said oh, oh oh
    Well I turned around and I said ho, ho
    And the northern lights commenced to glow

    And she said, with a tear in her eye
    Watch out where the huskies go,
    And don't you eat that yellow snow
    Watch out where the huskies go,
    And don't you eat that yellow snow
    Apostrophe is one of the most important albums of all time.


  14. #15214
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Same, have a long, multi-year history of epics in Hyalite Canyon LONG before it was plowed trying to get past the dam to shorten the approach for ice routes. Breaking chains, walking out, skiing down the entire canyon, etc......That canyon was always interesting in the early 90's.
    Seriously. Encountering someone else going the opposite way once you were past the dam kept it interesting. Trying to back up in deep snow with a shitty old toyota was not fun. Fingers were always crossed.

  15. #15215
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    14,633
    Bridger opening pushed to the 17th at the earliest.

  16. #15216
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    BZN
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Bridger opening pushed to the 17th at the earliest.
    Yikes. No surprise, though.

    Does anyone know the latest they've ever opened?
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

  17. #15217
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Montucky
    Posts
    1,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Same, have a long, multi-year history of epics in Hyalite Canyon LONG before it was plowed trying to get past the dam to shorten the approach for ice routes. Breaking chains, walking out, skiing down the entire canyon, etc......That canyon was always interesting in the early 90's.
    I bet you have some good stories. I have been around waaay shorter than when the Hyalite road wasnít plowed Ö I just got lots of shit stuck in a very recent window of time, ha!

  18. #15218
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    BoZone
    Posts
    554
    January 26, 1981 takes the all time cake. Since I've been here (1994), looks like December 26, 2002. Other notable late starts were 12/19/87, 12/22/95, 12/22/97, 12/22/06.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

  19. #15219
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Gallatin County
    Posts
    1,239
    Well there was some fresh snow and sunshine at Big Sky today with truly excellent Pocono conditions with 3-6 inches of fresh snow over a hard base. The "husky yellow" colored man made base on Tippy's and Mr K made it easy to stay in the clumps of new snow. The Bowl was good for about an hour before things were tracked out and the faithful started to hike up Cron's for some fresher turns. Not sure it was worth the $89 for those using a lift ticket for two trails and the Bowl, but Dec 27th the day ticket price rises to $228.

  20. #15220
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,458
    Good info Bobbybill. I don't think they had much it any snowmaking in the early days. I wonder what the latest opening is with the snowmaking they have now and how much it has helped them get open in more recent years?

  21. #15221
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    17,462
    Big Scree claiming 14 trails open.Name:  Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 15-15-30 Trail Status.png
Views: 335
Size:  14.5 KB

    seriously?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

  22. #15222
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    66
    Haha. The bowl's gotta count for more than 1 - although 10 might be pushing it.

    Exit chute is double diamond for sure....if you let your kid follow Nest down it on the wrong side into the scree field

  23. #15223
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Well there was some fresh snow and sunshine at Big Sky today with truly excellent Pocono conditions with 3-6 inches of fresh snow over a hard base. The "husky yellow" colored man made base on Tippy's and Mr K made it easy to stay in the clumps of new snow. The Bowl was good for about an hour before things were tracked out and the faithful started to hike up Cron's for some fresher turns. Not sure it was worth the $89 for those using a lift ticket for two trails and the Bowl, but Dec 27th the day ticket price rises to $228.
    Holy fuck, is that what it's up to now? I'll be out there that week using my sister resort freebie passes. My kid's all want to hit the tram but it sounds like a couple more feet are in order? Still trying to wrap my head around the $89 tram charge..

  24. #15224
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    14,633
    I could see stuff off the peak being the first to open. Up high actually doesn't look all that thin. The cooler would go. Really depends on the Yeti Traverse having any snow and a way to actually get from the summit to Liberty, etc. It's down low that is a nightmare. The gladed ares on Andesite have literally 2" of snow right now.

  25. #15225
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,164
    Whitefish just announced they are opening the backside tomorrow. It was unclear to me if that means downloading at the end of your day. It usually does.

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •