Page 745 of 884 FirstFirst ... 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 ... LastLast
Results 18,601 to 18,625 of 22099
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Such is the way of Lone Mountain. Prior to this storm if you got onto to any of the big slide paths and poked with a ski pole you could tell how hollow the snow pack was. I can appreciate the cautious approach after a major loading event.

Patrol told me they had made the decision early in the morning that tram would not open. I just wish Big Sky would've updated the lift status earlier. At 9:30 am it was still showing on hold due to conditions.

Not that big of a deal but would've saved me a trip.

Gnar - I can't believe we haven't shared a chair yet.

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

this came up in my FB feed in an old geezer ski group

Montana Snowbowl

yumping longboards I guess

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675172076.896743.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	911.2 KB 
ID:	445373

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675172725.052562.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	729.8 KB 
ID:	445374
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

By Jack Reaney STAFF WRITER

John Kircher, a longtime member of the Big Sky community and former Big Sky Resort general manager, died on the afternoon of Jan. 28. He was 64.

Kircher’s death came less than a year after he was diagnosed with colon cancer. By early December 2022, he was also diagnosed with peritoneal carcinomatosis, a rare form of abdominal cancer. According to a post on CaringBridge written by John’s wife Kim, “he was surrounded by family and friends [on Saturday]… I gathered a list of loved ones and we held a vigil for him.” A celebration of life will be held on Feb. 11 in Big Sky, which John helped plan during his final days.
    RIP John. You were a wingnut at times but in a good way.

https://www.explorebigsky.com/a-ski-...es-at-64/47590
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    This gets me so fired up.

Fuck dude this is amazing! I went home limping, knee barkin, this isnt making it feel better, but holy shit good on all you for making it happen!
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    RIP John. You were a wingnut at times but in a good way.

https://www.explorebigsky.com/a-ski-...es-at-64/47590
    Wow, that's too bad. Just a couple years after selling Crystal Mountain to Alterra, too. His wife was a patroller at Crystal for years.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Patrol told me they had made the decision early in the morning that tram would not open. I just wish Big Sky would've updated the lift status earlier. At 9:30 am it was still showing on hold due to conditions.

Not that big of a deal but would've saved me a trip.

Gnar - I can't believe we haven't shared a chair yet.
    It'd be fun to spin some laps! Holler at me if you see my yellow jacket!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What a fucking week. Just heard today that Matt Tynan was killed in a bus crash in Mexico. Long time BS local and former Dirt Bag King. RIP.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Damn that sucks to hear Bunion.

Heard patrol did slushies "power hour" today at like 1:15 PM. Buddies son found some mega deep. Tomorrow should be good.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Split it with ya?
    Gravity. It's the law.

I’m visiting whitefish this weekend with the family. 2yr old isn’t quite there yet to ride so we’ll be taking turns babysitting/riding. Do they use RFID and we can swap it out between us easily? I’m assuming that shuttle is free, but how frequently do they run? Any betas around town/non skiing activities? Also how many dispensaries are there? Do I need to bring enough to not run out or can I expect to taste something local? And lastly, if any mags want to show me around the mountain, I don’t know if/when I have time but it would be cool to get a general tour of the area.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

14 million for 48 acres. That is insane.

The idiots parking at the end of the rows at BB are really starting to push it.

If I had a buck buster on the front of my truck the temptation to make some more room would be unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    The idiots parking at the end of the rows at BB are really starting to push it.

If I had a buck buster on the front of my truck the temptation to make some more room would be unbearable.
    Pull em out with your tow strap and/or take out all their valve cores.

Unscrewing valve cores takes too much time

Name:  D228-8.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  57.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    I’m visiting whitefish this weekend with the family. 2yr old isn’t quite there yet to ride so we’ll be taking turns babysitting/riding. Do they use RFID and we can swap it out between us easily? I’m assuming that shuttle is free, but how frequently do they run? Any betas around town/non skiing activities? Also how many dispensaries are there? Do I need to bring enough to not run out or can I expect to taste something local? And lastly, if any mags want to show me around the mountain, I don’t know if/when I have time but it would be cool to get a general tour of the area.

No RFID at Whitefish - it's still paper tickets that they scan. So just put the paper ticket on a key ring or something so it's removable.

Snow bus from town to the resort is free. Schedule is here: https://www.bigmtncommercial.org/snow-bus-schedule

Plenty of dispensaries, most of which are on the outskirts of town. I think you'll probably be fine.

Other things to do in town: nordic skiing, if you're into that sort of thing. You can rent gear at the golf course. Backslope in Columbia Falls is probably the best brewery at the moment. Jeremiah Johnson brewery in Whitefish is mediocre, but there's a lot of space so it's relatively easy with kids.

I'm out of town this weekend, so unfortunately can't show you around. But we just picked up a decent amount of snow for a much needed reset, so conditions should be decent. Bring you low light lenses.

I would have suggested visiting Glacier National Park as a possibility, but looks like the Going to the Sun Road is closed at Apgar this winter, so basically you could go and see Lake McDonald from the west side, but that's about it. I wouldn't say that's worth the trip from Whitefish.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I would have suggested visiting Glacier National Park as a possibility, but looks like the Going to the Sun Road is closed at Apgar this winter, so basically you could go and see Lake McDonald from the west side, but that's about it. I wouldn't say that's worth the trip from Whitefish.
    Unless you are ready and willing to make the trek, most of Glacier is locked up in snow and ice throughout the winter.

If the weather is decent though, they definitely could swing up with West Glacier and take in the views from the end of Lake McDonald. Can be a very cool wintry feeling up there, and the family could have some fun with the side trip on a non-skiing day.

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

I don’t see this being viable or acceptable by the USFS. They weigh user traffic and impacts in the area, and doubt there would be permits issued outside the 48 acres… and let’s be honest, that’s just a bit of the lower elevation hillside.

Thanks guys! This is info I was looking for. My gf’s first real “ski vacation”. I took her to banff years ago when she was learning but she never been to the destination ski resort…. And I got 5 and 2 years old with me so I got my hands full. I plan on leaving Spokane Friday afternoon and get to kalispell to spend the night and get to whitefish Saturday morning, and leave there after riding Sunday. I’m excited for the first family vacation with my baby girl.

Whitefish was an epic clusterfuck today.

Chair 2 was announced as down for the day, and then the new 6pack chair 4 stops running at about 9:40 and requires a full evac. They learned their lesson when they had to evac chair 1 in December, so they closed off most of the terrain to divert staff (first Hellroaring and the NW-side of the backside, then the rest of the backside, and eventually the T-bar area as well).

The bit of skiing I got in was great though. They had the T-bar spinning at open (doesn't usually run on weekdays) which led to a couple runs of untracked snow and then a delightful run down the backside...only to discover that it was already closed and we just didn't see any signage since we came from the T-bar. Chair 5 was still spinning and still had some nice pockets on offer.

I had to go home and get back to work, but it sounds like they got everyone safely lowered off Chair 4 (pretty quickly too!) and reopened the rest of the terrain--I bet hellroaring is real nice right now.
    Last edited by singlesline; 02-01-2023 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Thanks guys! This is info I was looking for. My gf’s first real “ski vacation”. I took her to banff years ago when she was learning but she never been to the destination ski resort…. And I got 5 and 2 years old with me so I got my hands full. I plan on leaving Spokane Friday afternoon and get to kalispell to spend the night and get to whitefish Saturday morning, and leave there after riding Sunday. I’m excited for the first family vacation with my baby girl.
    Sounds like you've probably got your hands full, but I might be around--got a bunch of balls in the air right now, but I usually ski Saturday and Sunday.

Anyone with an inside scoop on why Schlasman's still isn't open? This is the longest post-storm closure I've ever witnessed (I know they opened for an hour yesterday). Until I hear otherwise I'm blaming the new GM. The limited terrain during and after the storm was pretty unusual, but a week to re-open 9 is ridiculous, glad I have to work this week.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Anyone with an inside scoop on why Schlasman's still isn't open? This is the longest post-storm closure I've ever witnessed (I know they opened for an hour yesterday). Until I hear otherwise I'm blaming the new GM. The limited terrain during and after the storm was pretty unusual, but a week to re-open 9 is ridiculous, glad I have to work this week.
    Quote from fam who skied the brief opening:

"Could use some spatulas yesterday at Bridger. The wind nuked the new into stiff slabby merengue that was still knee deep on slushman's. Skied one run there and retreated back to bridger lift!"

Patrol bombed the S boundary and got the football field to slide. Just sounds funky and I bet patrol just doesn't trust the pack yet. No real scoop but that's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Whitefish was an epic clusterfuck today.

Chair 2 was announced as down for the day, and then the new 6pack chair 4 stops running at about 9:40 and requires a full evac. They learned their lesson when they had to evac chair 1 in December, so they closed off most of the terrain to divert staff (first Hellroaring and the NW-side of the backside, then the rest of the backside, and eventually the T-bar area as well).

The bit of skiing I got in was great though. They had the T-bar spinning at open (doesn't usually run on weekdays) which led to a couple runs of untracked snow and then a delightful run down the backside...only to discover that it was already closed and we just didn't see any signage since we came from the T-bar. Chair 5 was still spinning and still had some nice pockets on offer.

I had to go home and get back to work, but it sounds like they got everyone safely lowered off Chair 4 (pretty quickly too!) and reopened the rest of the terrain--I bet hellroaring is real nice right now.
    Kind of a bummer that WMR spent all that money on a chair that doesn't work when it's cold or snowy. (Kidding. Sort of).

Glad the mountain is getting a reset though. It needed it.