Page 528 of 891 FirstFirst ... 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 ... LastLast
Results 13,176 to 13,200 of 22257
    Damn Ted, wild video. Glad you’re all good

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar_Shralp406 View Post
    Got one lap in Hellroaring. It's probably not everyone's idea of a good time, but I was all smiles...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ3023sl...=17iqgrzc10gds

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Dang. I'd say you've mastered the concept of "variable" conditions. Solid!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Got one lap in Hellroaring. It's probably not everyone's idea of a good time, but I was all smiles...

What time was that?

Again, I rolled up there mid day today and the hike was closed.

Pretty interesting and shows how much the snowpack can change in such a short distance. Easy to see how the group was like, "Sweet, no results in this pit, lets ski!" Scary.

Sweet vid man!!

Beat up my skis on Marx, Lenin and Liberty this afternoon. Tram line was short. Skiing was meh, chundery bumps. But a beautiful day up there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    What time was that?

Again, I rolled up there mid day today and the hike was closed.
    11ish. I rolled up to the hill around 10:30 and heard they'd opened it, so I booked it on over.

I chatted with a patrolled about it today and they said at least Hellroaring will be closed until we get more snow. Something about the pinch being douched out...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11ish. I rolled up to the hill around 10:30 and heard they'd opened it, so I booked it on over.

I chatted with a patrolled about it today and they said at least Hellroaring will be closed until we get more snow. Something about the pinch being douched out...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice. Well skied!

Must have been closer to 12:30ish when I got to the top of challenger. Settled for more BRT thrashing.

Nice. Well skied!

Must have been closer to 12:30ish when I got to the top of challenger. Settled for more BRT thrashing.
    Thanks man. BRT was real nice before those Volkswagens parked in it. Look for me in the lift line and ask to tickle my nickel or whatever the TGR "code" is. It'd be cool to meet some of the folks on here.

Thanks man. BRT was real nice before those Volkswagens parked in it. Look for me in the lift line and ask to tickle my nickel or whatever the TGR "code" is. It'd be cool to meet some of the folks on here.

Same. Followed you on IG too. Look for big bird yellow Freeride Systems shell with black Ogio vest.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Great chalk skiing at Bridger this weekend. The wind definitely smoothed a few slopes out and my little one now likes to ski bell to bell which is pretty cool. But no more sneaking out for a few hours until the family shows up. Coverage is way better. Slushman's liftline was skiing great Sunday morning. You don't even need a pow day to get a faceshot when your 4'2"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	357315
    Name:  IMG_1111.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  120.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1100.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:	IMG_1103.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	357319

Yeah that looks horrible

But you crushed it. Well done.

Pretty interesting and shows how much the snowpack can change in such a short distance. Easy to see how the group was like, "Sweet, no results in this pit, lets ski!" Scary.
    Totally agree. There are things this group did I wouldn't be comfortable with, but I get why it happened. The pit said they were good to go, and (as far as I can tell) I don't think they had any obvious visual cues the snowpack was going to be 50% thinner as they moved up in elevation.

Took the opportunity yesterday to do some meadow-skipping around Lolo Pass. She and I were itching to get another taste of winter, what with the high-and-dry valley life.

Name:	IMG_9722.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	357352

The sunny skies and deeper snowpack made for an excellent field day for brushing up on the Avvy skills. A damn fine beer on the ridge was a plus after digging pits.

Name:	IMG_9747.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	357354

The lighting turned excellent as the afternoon wore on. Made for a nice finish at the car.

Name:	IMG_9771.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	357353

^^dig the hoar'd out beer! Nordic skiing has been *off the Richter in the Hwy 12 zone. You can do 3mile or 30mile routes right now with perfect conditions *I don't know if I can actually use that term to describe SiSSyStikkin and feel good about myself but I'm older now so it's ok.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Totally agree. There are things this group did I wouldn't be comfortable with, but I get why it happened. The pit said they were good to go, and (as far as I can tell) I don't think they had any obvious visual cues the snowpack was going to be 50% thinner as they moved up in elevation.
    A single snow pit is not a Green Light for anything, especially in complex terrain. I was talking with a friend who knows the group, he said they are educated and have the knowledge to make good decisions. IMO they did not do so.

Lucky no one fucking died.

Edit to add: https://www.mtavalanche.com/sites/de...ent_210108.pdf

Worth the read for all the red flags present, I want to be clear that I am not slagging on this group, they did a pretty good job of the rescue.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 01-11-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    This is the most apt summary I've seen of slide incidents and near-misses this season so far.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Snowpit is one tool in the nasty, stinking, razor sharp toothed box of the avalanche wench. Still doesn't make sense to go up terrain like that when there's a easy alternative, then u can skinit one at a time. Theres no room to hide on that face. If its booting up a chute, sure, nowhere to hide and the group is exposed. I'm sure lots of us have been lucky, and I'm no maker of sound, consistent decisions. I hope that 5 of them can go back and ski that thing in a couple months and have a much better time.

Inbounds bb is thin, but in. Maybe they'll give us d route by valentines day.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Fall Line Will Set You Free

I hope that 5 of them can go back and ski that thing in a couple months and have a much better time.
    Werd.

Some photos I took during my day today, just south of Lone Mountain.

Name:	DSC02595.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	357407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02596.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	357408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02594.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	357406

Snow is super weak and reactive at and just below treeline, deer walking across this slope cause it to fail but not steep enough to slide. Amazing surface hoar all over the place, last 4-5 nights have been cold, calm and enough RH to grow a bumper crop.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Access road was fully buried during control on Friday.Attachment 357410Attachment 357411

Road cuts sliding to the ground all around the Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    A single snow pit is not a Green Light for anything, especially in complex terrain. I was talking with a friend who knows the group, he said they are educated and have the knowledge to make good decisions. IMO they did not do so.

Totally agree. My comment wasn't at all endorsing their countless major errors. It's just that after watching the GNFAC video I at least understood what drove them to continue uphill, and how this crew did not expect/plan for a massive change in snow depth. But I'm just now reading the full report so my opinion may change once I get through it.

^^^ Yep, reading the report it turns out they dug 2 pits, just not in a representative location. Glad it turned out pretty ok although one of the guys will be pretty sore for a while.

https://www.mtavalanche.com/sites/de...ent_210108.pdf

Huh. Reading the report it sounds like they did actually plan for a change in snow depth when they decided to go uphill.

The lure of the objective seemed strong in this case.

too big of group- think.

That picture of the fin was sobering.