Page 626 of 884 FirstFirst ... 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 ... LastLast
Results 15,626 to 15,650 of 22098
    Stellar day

Two more from yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Two more from yesterday

A-Zs looking faaat!

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Nice man, I was doing the same. It actually exceeded my expectations today.
    I thought about going over there..........where you did, but was having fun with kid figuring out the rest of GD. Fun ski hill, great tree skiing potential.

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Whoever chose the military ski gear has good taste.

GD must be feeling good with that new military contract with the 10th mountain division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Long military history in Helena, the unit recognized as the forerunners of the green berets was at Fort Harrison.

Total badasses in WW2, they were nicknamed “the Devil’s Brigade”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_..._Service_Force

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I rode up with one of those military guys yesterday, turns out they are from Colorado and came up here to do ski training.

"Can't you do ski training in Colorado?"

"Yeah, that's what we were wondering."

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I always thought they were originally stationed at Camp Hale in CO (thus the CO 10th Mtn Div license plates......which I used to have and lead law enforcement in states outside of CO to think the driver of the vehicle was active military......)

They are officially based at Fort Drum now I thought?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I always thought they were originally stationed at Camp Hale in CO (thus the CO 10th Mtn Div license plates......which I used to have and lead law enforcement in states outside of CO to think the driver of the vehicle was active military......)

Camp Hale was decom'd at the end of WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Camp Hale was decom'd at the end of WW2.
    Yeah, it's just some ruins now, which is why I am confused as to why the guy Yeahman rode the chair with said they came from Colorado.

The military guys had nice setups….

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    The military guys had nice setups….
    Did they look like these skis?

https://www.serketusa.com/skis/

Yeah, it's just some ruins now, which is why I am confused as to why the guy Yeahman rode the chair with said they came from Colorado.
    He said they were based near Colorado Springs. Looks like there are several bases in that area.

2012 Montana Conditions, Stoke and Whatev Thread

Did they look like these skis?

https://www.serketusa.com/skis/
    No they had custom camo dps skis with Dynafit rotations. They also use to train at Breck but it was costing them too much and they have free housing in Helena. I heard they are using the whole mountain while it’s closed and then they fly over to copper creek to do backcountry training. 600+ soldiers will be up training over the next few weeks and the ones up last weekend were the certified instructors.

Word is one of those skis is already lost in the big open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some confusion. While 10th Mountain is apparently training at GD now, Harry wasn’t talking about the 10th Mountain; he mentioned the First Special Services. They were in Helena and included Canadian forces. That’s why Willy’s Canadian whisky is called Devil’s Brigade.

Not a bad film if you are into WWII flicks. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062886/

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1943453...&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Big Snivel was pretty good today and fairly uncrowded. The Darkside was like the old days and Headwaters lift was running. By Wednesday it will be somewhat firm. Put in an order for more snow please.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Bridger shut down camping in the parking lot? I haven’t skied there since my MSU days a million years ago. Was hoping to dirtbag in parking lot with kid….other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    He said they were based near Colorado Springs. Looks like there are several bases in that area.
    When I skied at Monarch in early March of 2020, half the skiers were from a base near Colorado Springs. I cannot remember the unit, but I believe one of the soldiers mentioned a "special forces" unit. They were riding the lifts and practicing skiing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bridger shut down camping in the parking lot? I haven’t skied there since my MSU days a million years ago. Was hoping to dirtbag in parking lot with kid….other suggestions?
    Last I checked, they allowed it but asked that you call first to arrange the spot, kinda in the DL. But that info is a couple years old.

Heard this as well. Battle Ridge is just up 86 so could just set up camp there.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    When I skied at Monarch in early March of 2020, half the skiers were from a base near Colorado Springs. I cannot remember the unit, but I believe one of the soldiers mentioned a "special forces" unit. They were riding the lifts and practicing skiing.

That would be the 10th Special Forces Group at Fort Carson.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    That would be the 10th Special Forces Group at Fort Carson.

That was it!

I'm looking at possibly doing a ski/see part of the country trip in March with one of my kids or the whole family. My son (13) skis anything I do and more. While we love soft cruisers we also like steps, trees and most anything not requiring air to enter. My daughter (13) and wife are green and mild blue skiers who do not want anything exciting.

Before Covid, my son and I hit Wolf Creek and Monarch in Southern CO and had a blast skiing smaller off the beaten path ski areas.

I'm tossing around the idea of stringing together a few of the smaller Montana ski areas and had never heard of Great Divide. If anyone could give me a short overview of the area, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    They were riding the lifts and practicing skiing.
    They're just like us!
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

I stayed up there a couple weeks ago. No one around. If you pull in later and bed down I'd say no prob. Camp for days w shit everywhere, prob not. You know the drill.

There is one small sign, which I failed to notice I don't think anyone cares. It's Montana.

Thx for Bridger beta. That place caused me to flunk out of MSU…..twice, want to make sure my kid experiences that place early in life, in true dirtbag fashion, very soon.