Angry Review: 2011-2012 LINE Influence 115, 186cm

I haven't heard a whole lot about this ski, and it hasn't seemed to draw much attention around here - mostly, I just remember Blurred raving about his Prophet 115s (same ski, different name).

But I get why Blurred was impressed. It's not really a stiff ski, but it is damp. It rails. It can charge. It isn't poppy, but it is quick. It isn't surfy / slarvy, but it is good in pow. So it's definitely not a 'throw anybody on it and they'll love it' type of ski, but certain people definitely will.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...ence-115-186cm

Even if you don't care about this ski, you might want to check out the photo from Taos on the first page. (TGR image uploader = ) There's a picture from last Friday, on Two Bucks, on the Influence 115s. The conditions didn't suck....
    Last edited by JFE24; 03-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Thoughts on this ski as an everyday, all-conditions Tahoe ski?

It would be replacing my 06/07 Prophet 100s (186cm), which have served me (6' 190#) well. What I like about the 100s is their short side-cut and pretty good pop out of turns. I like their playfulness and grip on groomers while being perfectly decent at speed. (Whereas, my old 192cm Movement Goliaths were great at speed but too much work to turn in tighter radii.) I wouldn't mind if the 100s were a little beefier, a little longer, had some tip rocker, and were a little wider: thus the Influence 115.

I like everything I've read about the 11/12 Influence 115s. Obviously, they'll be better in deep days (although I have some Praxis Powders for the deepest days) but it sounds like I wouldn't be giving up too much in other conditions by replacing my 100s with this ski. Of course, the Influence 105s are probably closer to my 100s, but it seems like the 115s would have most of the benefits of the 105s while also being great powder skis.

The thing that concerns me is the description of the ski's dampness. Is it more like K2 skis (which I tend to dislike for their dampness > pop) or more like the old Prophet 100?

* Apologies for the long-winded nature of this which-ski-for-me post.

More like the old 100's, but a little bit stiffer. I got the 105's to replace my old 100's as an everday ski in J Hole, and they are the shit. Everything you loved about the 100's, with a little more width and stiffness, and early rise. and they still are a great pow ski, more so then the 100's. Where they lack is really thick surfy pow, but if you have a dedicated pow ski, I think the 105 is perfect. If you liked the 100's (as I did), you'll love em.

But get em this year, cause next year they'll be totally different.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake

I have the 186 115. I use it as an every day ski in the Canadian rockies. This ski fucking rocks and much to my suprise it absolutely slays the front side.

Thanks, guys! It'll be hard to decide between the 105 and 115.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Thanks, guys! It'll be hard to decide between the 105 and 115.
    It seems like those of us who've skied the 115s haven't skied the 105s, and those of us who've skied the 105s haven't skied the 115s. So...I haven't skied the 105s yet, but what I can say is that the 115 delivers everything you say you're looking for.

And since you said that you're only reservation was about the dampness I described, I would say that they feel damp, not dead. And I'd basically agree with powder_prophet (though it seems that he is comparing the 105 to the old 100s, not the 115 to the old 100s, though I'm not certain about that...) that the feeling isn't way different than the 100s. Different, but not night and day.

the prophet 115 and the infuence 115 are not the same ski, the construction and side wall have been changed (cheapened and softened). having both the prophet 115 and mothership(@111mm waist) i find the mothership to be the go to ski

Quote Originally Posted by ski247 View Post
    the prophet 115 and the infuence 115 are not the same ski, the construction and side wall have been changed (cheapened and softened). having both the prophet 115 and mothership(@111mm waist) i find the mothership to be the go to ski
    Where are you getting your information? The 11/12 Influence 115 is the EXACT same ski as the Prophet 115.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JFE24 View Post
    It seems like those of us who've skied the 115s haven't skied the 105s, and those of us who've skied the 105s haven't skied the 115s. So...I haven't skied the 105s yet, but what I can say is that the 115 delivers everything you say you're looking for.

And since you said that you're only reservation was about the dampness I described, I would say that they feel damp, not dead. And I'd basically agree with powder_prophet (though it seems that he is comparing the 105 to the old 100s, not the 115 to the old 100s, though I'm not certain about that...) that the feeling isn't way different than the 100s. Different, but not night and day.
    Thanks, man. Also, thanks for the blister reviews, which I've read carefully. I'm leaning toward the 115s. Hopefully, the silver lining to this abysmal Tahoe winter is that there will be some ridiculous ski sales this spring.

the prophet 115 has a stacked race style sidewall and the influence has hybrid cap wall contruction, which changes the feel ....as far as dimesion go its the same ski ...but the check it out if i can get a pic for comparison i will

Are you sure you aren't comparing to the next model year of the 115? I think they are changing it for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ski247 View Post
    the prophet 115 has a stacked race style sidewall and the influence has hybrid cap wall contruction, which changes the feel ....as far as dimesion go its the same ski ...but the check it out if i can get a pic for comparison i will
    The 2011-2012 Influence 115 is not capwall. It is a full sidewall ski and is exactly the same ski as the Prophet 115. The Influence 105 is capwall, as is next year's Influence 115.

http://lineskis.com/skis/influence-115
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

My approval of a since-revamped 11/12 ski probably isn't going help many people, but I'm pretty stoked on these skis, which I picked up early this winter. They are pretty much exactly what I wanted: A daily driver for Tahoe. Other than maybe park and icy groomers, this ski does pretty much everything well--powder, crud, groomers, etc. They are heavy as hell and would make poor AT skis for that reason. But I got them for resort riding, and I've never noticed their weight while skiing.