Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feliz Navidad! Some early season stoke from Taos

The capriciousness of La Nina apparently can't be overestimated. Last year Taos was one of the few places in the country that didn't have an epic season. Now it is having one of the best early seasons in memory, while most everyone in the mountain west, other than Wolf Creek and Silverton, seem to be having a terrible time.

Anyway, if you've never been to Taos or haven't been there is a while, now is a pretty good time for a visit.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

nice job!!! thank you for that... "switch to the road" comment was $$$$

nice!! we had the bluebird yesterday, but not quite the same fluffies up there in the trees...maybe this dump will get kachina open for the holidays...thanks for the stoke!!

taos trees rock! snowpack w/ ridge open is killer for this early in the season.

Nice! We're heading down for New Years this year.. haven't skied at Taos in 2 years... which is the longest it's been in 15 years.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

way cool to see the snow flow ....that way;maybee Ill get back there this yr.Any locals maybee send info on those huge hand made coffee mugs they sell(still) at the base
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

When the little lady finally shows up this way she's in for a hell of a gang bang that's all I can say. That and go fuck yourself.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Rad! You guys deserve it. If it keeps coming for ya I'm headed there right after New Years.

That POV shows the Taos steeps I've heard about. Usually it flattens the perspective but you can seen the roll overs where it drops off! Nice.

Wow looks like some good days

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    That POV shows the Taos steeps I've heard about. Usually it flattens the perspective but you can seen the roll overs where it drops off! Nice.
    that was NOT the steeps of taos. that was the flat to moderate shit.

Still looked like fun to me! Anyways, will any of you Taos folk throw me a bone and offer to show me around your hill if I'm in your neck of the woods? I know I'm from Flagstaff but I swear I can hang, I won't hold you back I promise.

show him a pic of the run with the self arrest dummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

thanks for that. man, i miss powder bumps!
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

By Taos standards, the stuff in my video is indeed pretty mellow. A video (not from me) that shows just how rowdy it can get is the following:

The West Basin, where this was shot, hasn't been open yet due to (no bullshit) avi-risk.
    Last edited by wcf3; 12-19-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

That looks nice. Giving serious consideration to a road trip next week.

What is all of that white stuff?

Signed,
    The East Coast

Way to get after it. Watched that storm dump on you wishin we could buy some of that.

watch out for snakes

Solid stoke!
    And I learned a new word

Nice floatation through the yummy powbumps! It was a looooong time ago that I last have been through a giant field of vw beetle sized bumps layered in 24" of freshie. Hurah!

Nicely done. Good to see someone has some snow!

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bumperski View Post
    Nice floatation through the yummy powbumps! It was a looooong time ago that I last have been through a giant field of vw beetle sized bumps layered in 24" of freshie. Hurah!
    I know "epic" conditions are all relative to certain areas, but I keep hearing numbers like this (24" of fresh) thrown around. Then I look at Taos' website and they're only reporting 4" new and and a 46" base. Most of the historically snowy western resorts that are off to such an awful start still have a 30"+ base. Kinda puts it all in perspective...

Disclaimer: I'd still rather be skiing Taos today.

http://www.skitaos.org/snow-report

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    I know "epic" conditions are all relative to certain areas, but I keep hearing numbers like this (24" of fresh) thrown around. Then I look at Taos' website and they're only reporting 4" new and and a 46" base. Most of the historically snowy western resorts that are off to such an awful start still have a 30"+ base. Kinda puts it all in perspective...

Disclaimer: I'd still rather be skiing Taos today.

http://www.skitaos.org/snow-report
    Taos is notorious for this...marketing dept needs a little help. It has been epic, period. But this is relative to the time of year more than anything else. Minus the fact that West B can't open, you couldn't really ask for more right now. We have about the same base now as anytime last year (although that doesn't say much).

At least some mags are getting some. And doing it right, nice stoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

thanks for making me jealous! nice work