Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I have updated the screw length chart to include Tyrolia Adrenalins. One would need to buy collars and washers in order to make the heelpiece work correctly. Luckily, McMaster Carr has exactly the right parts:
    92871A037
    93475A250

Oh, so can I buy a kit just from you? or some from you, some from McMaster Carr?

I haven't got the parts to stock a kit just yet. You can buy the special parts from McMaster Carr. You can get the screws there too if you're already paying for shipping, but you have to get a bag of 100 of each size.

OK, I"ll buy the whole kit from you, when you have everything.

Yo Jon, you getting PMs right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

The measurements for screws for NTN Freedom bindings is not correct. The correct measurement is a 12 mm flathead screw, which permits 5-6 full turns to obtain more than 4mm engagement. The chart shows an 8 mm flathead, but 8 mm will not purchase more than 3 mm of engagement. I skied 8000 easy feet in area with 8mm buttonhole screws this weekend without a problem, but am switching to longer screws to obtain minimum engagement.

The equivalent buttonhead actually sits flush in the screw hole because the Freedom screw holes are flat, not canted, and so the buttonhead engages the screw hole flange more securely than a canted flathead screw base. The screw holes on the binding are countersunk so the buttomhead sits pretty and does not interfere with the binding's operation.

Hi everybody,
    once I got the same problem as stearnsn with the re issue FKS screw, but in this case I thought to substitute the wrong pieces with screws of the right size that I found by a supplier near my house..the result was great..sometimes also the best company may have problems with the kit assemblation.

Can anyone verify the screw lengths for speed radicals on sollyfit plates?

Quote Originally Posted by antigravitypaint View Post
    The measurements for screws for NTN Freedom bindings is not correct. The correct measurement is a 12 mm flathead screw, which permits 5-6 full turns to obtain more than 4mm engagement. The chart shows an 8 mm flathead, but 8 mm will not purchase more than 3 mm of engagement.
    I agree that 8 mm flathead is too short for NTN Freedom. And I would also recommend to go with buttonhead screws.

[edit] See later post for new measurements.
    Last edited by wallander; 01-06-2014 at 07:40 AM.

For newer NTN Freeride (with pink binding plate) buttonhead screws fit better. I'd recommend 16 x 10mm buttonhead.

[edit] Don't follow this advice, please see later post below.
    Last edited by wallander; 01-06-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    Can anyone verify the screw lengths for speed radicals on sollyfit plates?
    Confirmed. 10mm smallheads for the toe, 8mm buttonheads for the heel. I use inserts instead of plates, but that doesn't change anything since my inserts are installed flush with the ski topsheet.

Quote Originally Posted by wallander View Post
    For newer NTN Freeride (with pink binding plate) buttonhead screws fit better. I'd recommend 16 x 10mm buttonhead.
    Are the plate holes smaller on the new version? The 2011 version plate has 6mm holes, so I would think if we are using M5 screws -1mm smaller than the hole- only a countersunk style head (ie smallhead or flathead) would keep the plate from moving? Or am I missing something?

And, wouldn't this apply for Freedom also?

By the way, has anyone put inserts for Freedom's on skis that already have holes for old model Freerides? the holes come pretty close to each other

-ju

I suspect the answer is "yes" but can anyone confirm whether or not a regular flathead fastener will work as well as a smallhead in Dynafit Speed Radical bindings?

I have some flat-heads lying around from old kits I'd like to re-use, if possible.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

As others have written, the listed Rottefella NTN Freedom screw lengths are no good. 8mm flathead leaves ~1.5 mm protrusion below the binding. Unfortunately I ordered the screws before reading these posts.

So in summary for NTN Freedom: 16 x 10 mm buttonhead and 2 x 12 mm buttonhead.
    That totals 18 screws, do you just skip mounting the 2 (x2) remaining screws for the pink plastic plates? These should have 8 mm screws, however 10 mm looks like works ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jaakko View Post
    ..if we are using M5 screws -1mm smaller than the hole- only a countersunk style head (ie smallhead or flathead) would keep the plate from moving? Or am I missing something?

And, wouldn't this apply for Freedom also?
    Yes, this would apply for Freedom also, however with flathead screws there will be less contact between binding and screwhead. Is that crucial for this kind of use?

I measured both screw types, choose the one you think is best:
    Flathead: 16 x 10 mm, 4 x 8 mm and 2 x 12 mm.
    Buttonhead: 16 x 8 mm, 4 x 6 mm and 2 x 10 mm.
    If you are lazy you can probably get away with 22 x 8 mm buttonhead.
    Last edited by echoromeo; 12-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.

There is a ton of info here, but haven't been able to locate the exact length screws I need for my older Dynafit TLT binders, to get myself set up with inserts on a couple of skis that I'd like to flip them to and fro.

I am sure I could pull the bindings off of the current ski that they are on, but then I'd be SOL for any skiing until I got the set up in to install. I would be willing to bet you all could understand not wanting to be w/o a set up for any length of time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!

10mm posi-smallheads seem to be working great for my plum yak's.

On a somewhat related note, the 72 hour epoxy seems to have expanded quite a bit. I've got slightly dimpled bases now. No big deal, but I guess I used too much with most of my inserts.

Just changed two pair of skis over from touring to lock n load (both have inserted dynalook plates too but one pair was already on). Way way way easier and took about half the time! Well done jondrums!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

NTN Freedom:

I revise my previous post above and agree to
    Quote Originally Posted by echoromeo View Post
    I measured both screw types, choose the one you think is best:
    Flathead: 16 x 10 mm, 4 x 8 mm and 2 x 12 mm.
    Buttonhead: 16 x 8 mm, 4 x 6 mm and 2 x 10 mm.
    I'd go with the buttonhead, feels more secure with more surface.

NTN Freeride 2011+ (pink plate):

I revise my previous post and agree to:
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakko View Post
    Are the plate holes smaller on the new version? The 2011 version plate has 6mm holes, so I would think if we are using M5 screws -1mm smaller than the hole- only a countersunk style head (ie smallhead or flathead) would keep the plate from moving? Or am I missing something?
    I'd recommend:
    4x8 mm buttonhead (heel) and 12x10 mm flathead (base plate)

NTN Freeride 2011+ (pink plate):

I revise my previous post and agree to:

I'd recommend:
    4x8 mm buttonhead (heel) and 12x10 mm flathead (base plate)
    Agreed. On the latest Freeride's I use 12no. 10mm csk flat heads & 4no. 8mm pan heads

I have updated the NTN lines to reflect the latest discussion. I apologize to those that ordered the wrong thing based on the old info. I don't have those bindings so I wasn't able to audit that info...

New Fritschi Vipec:

14mm buttonhead for toe
    12/14mm flathead for heel

Both lengths are kind of borderline for heel. I'll probably opt for 12mm instead of risking bottoming out in the insert, but I need to play around a bit more once I install my inserts. Not a lot of clearance with heel track, but should be fine if holes/threads are straight!
    Last edited by MrSmith; 01-31-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: 14mm for toe, I was measuring buttonheads wrong

^^^ Edited because I was measuring buttonheads wrong.

Look pivot 18 (no risers)? I assume it is the same as the FKS 180 reissue...

BF says 12 10mm buttonheads and 4 16mm buttonheads. I'm not seeing any 10mm buttonheads for sale on BF.com - it says I should use lowhead.

QK says 12 10mm and 4 20mm panheads.

there seems to be some discrepancy concerning length...I don't have the tools to grind these screws down at all, so they need to be right

any advantages or disadvantages between the different screws? do any perform best?

I might just buy the fastener kit off QK and use them with my BF inserts. will a pozi 3 work with those fasteners?
    Last edited by coskiguy; 01-31-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Does anyone have screw length info for BF inserts on 7tm Tours?
    stay outta my line