WTB: Film Body & Lense(s)

Time to finally learn what this whole photography thing is all about. I signed up for an Intro to B&W darkroom class which will be my first photo class. I'm pumped. It's not until March but shopping for gear is super fun so I'm throwing out a feeler.

I handled a few today at a local camera shop and I'm pretty sure I'd like to go the manual route. The Canon AE-1 seemed like a good choice or maybe step it up to the F1. I'm also open to other brands (except Sony, somehow this forum has totally turned me off to Sony).

Lens choices in order of priority:
    50mm (1.4 would be awesome, 1.8 is fine too)
    100 or135mm - something in this range, f/2.8 is fine
    35mm or something a little wider

Whatcha got?

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I have a film body from just before digital came on. I haven't touched it in years and it could go away pretty easily. I am in Canada though so shipping may be slow/pricey. Should be able to mail it for 25 bucks or so I would think. I'll fish it out and get some details on it...... It may have a kit lens to go with.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    It's a Minolta HTsi 'plus',has a 35-70 kit lens f3.5-4.5. Really good shape probably under 1000 shutter cycles. Needs batteries.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Sony makes a film camera?

Pentax K1000 is the cheapest, most solid fully manual 35mm film camera. Find one on Craigslist in your area.

AE-1 is probably the cheapest way to go. If you want a better and more plentiful supply of lenses, viewfinders, etc, you can go with the Nikon F, F2, etc. If you shoot a Nikon DSLR, the glass will be mostly interchangeable. The 50mm/1.4 Nikkor-S is one of the most plentiful lenses ever. The 28mm/3.5 is cheap and easy to get. You can get an E-Series 100mm/2.8 for cheap, too. In my experience, the Nikon F is fairly indestructible, too. I bashed on the rocks all over the Sierra backcountry for years and it's still going strong.

I use two Nikon Fs and love them both. Couple one with the Nikkor-H.C. 85mm/1.8 and some T-Max P3200 and you're shooting handheld in low light (assuming you like grain).

I just so happen to have a Nikon F100 I'm wanting to part with.

I also have an 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 D lens that I'm also wanting to part with.

OR, I might be talked into parting with my 50mm f1.8 as I almost never use it on my crop-sensor digital.

How does this sound:

Deal A) Body + both lenses = $300

Deal B) Body + 50mm = $100

Deal C) Body + 18-35 = $250

Deal D) Body Only = $50

You pay shipping. Everything should fit in a USPS medium size priority mail box ($15)
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    I just so happen to have a Nikon F100 I'm wanting to part with.

I also have an 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 D lens that I'm also wanting to part with.

OR, I might be talked into parting with my 50mm f1.8 as I almost never use it on my crop-sensor digital.

How does this sound:

Deal A) Body + both lenses = $300

Deal B) Body + 50mm = $100

Deal C) Body + 18-35 = $250

Deal D) Body Only = $50

You pay shipping. Everything should fit in a USPS medium size priority mail box ($15)
    If Altmanator passes, I'll take Deal D.

outabounds - altmanater is mulling it over. If he passes you're first in line.

The 18-35 just sold on Ebay, so it's off the table (finally, been trying to sell it for months.)
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

From recent experience: I recommend getting the 50mm prime lens wether it be 1.4 or 1.8. Preferably one that is meant to be focused manually, i.e. and old one. Reasons:

A) You are already embracing technical limitations with film, go all the way.
    B) Most film is sorta slow so the wide aperture is a nice option
    C) It's a cheaper way to get that "full frame" shallow depth of field.
    D) Just having one small, simple, prime lens leads to more interesting photos.

Have fun!

If you are interested...
    Nikon F100 body, one nick, less than 500 actuations.
    Nikkor 24-120mm 1:3.5-5.6 zoom, pristine.
    Tamron 60-300 1:3.8-5.4 zoom with Adaptal mount, manual only with F100.
    Tamron is in good shape but not pristine.
    Nikon SB-28 strobe, Nikon SB-15 strobe (SB-15 does not link with all the
    advanced F100 functions.)
    Both strobes in near new condition.
    Wired cable release.
    All for $300.
    Located in Cottonwood Heights.

Would you be interested in a loaner?

I have a full manual Olympus OM-10 that I might be willing to let you use, gratis, for a few months. (It was my first camera, and I've had it for over 30 years, so obviously there is a significant amount of sentimental value attached). I have a full suite of lenses for it.

PM if interested.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

KEH Camera is a good source for old film cameras.

http://www.keh.com/

(although I'd probably buy kahunamoose's set up.)

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Chris Brady hooked me up with some lenses and through in a cannon eos
    rebel G film body your welcome to use
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I have nothing to add as far as the OP because those are some nice offers listed, but that picture above really made me nostalgic for days gone by when I lived on the NorCal coast and spent a lot of time shooting and printing B&W and fishing for steelhead. Nice.

if you are going film and wanna develop your own images you gotta go mamiya medium format. this thing has sync speed up to 1/1000 second and the mamiya lens is sharper than anything else out there.
    Attachment 106372
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-f2-8-lens-400
    Last edited by Lance_K; 12-26-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks for all the offer guys. I've got a Canon A-1 that I'm looking at with a 50 f/1.4. I think that should be a great starter kit and if I really take to it then I'd be willing to throw a little more dough at it. I've heard great things about the Mamiya MF stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Altmanator View Post
    Thanks for all the offer guys. I've got a Canon A-1 that I'm looking at with a 50 f/1.4. I think that should be a great starter kit and if I really take to it then I'd be willing to throw a little more dough at it. I've heard great things about the Mamiya MF stuff
    Nice work. The A1 is sweet. A T90 would be rad also but way more to go wrong.

I shot a LOT with Canon FD gear about 7 years ago. From my experience these lenses are good.

50/1.4 chrome nose (early production, has less coatings than later but arguably better build and glass)
    35/2.0 chrome nose (early production, has thorium glass that can yellow, KILLLER black&white lens)
    85/1.2 (FUCKING EPIC LENS)
    135/2.0 (really nice)