Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: short skis suck

anybody else?
    it doesnt realli matter as long you as you remember to wake up and go skiing

Ideal skis of current affordable construction, for a given skier and desired turn pattern, seem to have a sweet length about 10-12% shorter than before. A new 190 is like an old 210, etc. There are exceptions, such as less length reduction in DH and nordic jumping skis, but that's about it. Slalom boards OTOH went much shorter.

The reduction in pitch stability has been offset by a better progression of flex. You can find a good carve over greater range of radii than before. Plus the extra float from a net gain in contact area helps on any soft snow. Finally there is the quicker turn bite and wider speed range that comes from the softer tips and stiffer, lower-cambered middle sections of newest designs. GLM sucked.

It depends on personal style and skill. Height/weight has a little to do with it, but not much.

I like to haul ass with big open turns... So I ride 195 superbros, 191 lhasas, and 189 vcts.

If I was at a mountain with 400' vert and one skinny groomer, I would ride 170s with some nasty sidecut... But im not.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm not going to lie, this is one stupid thread. Class it up guys.

I tried to save it with naked pictures, this thing need to die.
    LET IT SNOW

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
    . . . there is the quicker turn bite and wider speed range that comes from the softer tips and stiffer, lower-cambered middle sections of newest designs.
    For sure. All that new design stuff has made things better.

Was on Head Richies at end of last season. Really versatile. Carved like GS skis on harder stuff, even ice, and floated absolutely great over the soft. Transitioned seamlessly. Great ski. Initially sucked ass in some deep end of season Sierra Cement, but detuned the tails and they worked a lot, lot better. Some young guys on rockers skied the cement like it was first runs on tightly groomed. Made the Richies look ancient. I realized the new skis are game changers. No comparison with the older skis. Just better. And you can go long on them if you want.

Not naked, but close: http://www.snowblind.ch/images/sabina/sabexpe1.jpg .

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post

relax sometimes a little stupid is ok

Quote Originally Posted by LIFEisGNAR View Post
    Why do people buy short skis? im teaching my GF how to ski and i had some 160 volkl g1s on her first day. her second day i took her out on some 175 dynastar BIGS. She did way better. i started skiing on a 170 when i was 11 years old. basicaly, ski long skis. i see so many 180s for sale on here from full grown men. come on now. putting the effort in to ski longs skis pays off. Unless yor an old fart or lazy dont buy short skis!!
    Let's see. Joined in Nov 2011. 176 posts in Dec 2011. Asperger's?
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

doesnt that make you feel BIG. 150 of those post were buying and selling gear for me and a few freinds of mine

i see so many 180s for sale on here from full grown men. come on now.
    Uh, and the skis that are so wussy? Ever tried a 178 Stockli SX? Or a 184-187 WC GS? Or a 186 iM88? Or a 181 Blizzard M-Power? And the 188 Stormriders that Scot Schmidt skied would have you looking for where you left the pieces of your knees...

You're 23 years old. You were 11 in 1998 when you learned to ski on 170s. And now you've graduated to berating everybody for skiing with too-short skis?

180 is too short? For who? How much do you weigh?
    Last edited by counterfeitfake; 12-17-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

doesnt that make you feel BIG. 150 of those post were buying and selling gear for me and a few freinds of mine
    My apologies. Obviously you've got OCD.

you guys need to take a look at mofros video of short skis suck and have a little humor in life. i was laughing when posted this and im laughing now at how serioulsy you take it. Go skiing and have fun for christs sake.

My girlfreinds not down with the naked slut thing, but she does like her skis long. For all the horney bastards out thier. shred the gnarClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8345.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	790.7 KB 
ID:	106556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8344.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	680.0 KB 
ID:	106557

Yea lay off guys! He's obviously made a good point about short skis sucking. His post per day stat has to be through the roof, his Gf obviously is almost as core as he is on those humungo sticks, and I'm sure he's purchased some super long charge master beasts on gear swap that he's been dying to tell us about.

So I ask you lifeisgnar:
    how long are your skis?

Please respond so you can finally just yell it from the roof tops and get it out.....don't worry, we will be very very impressed.

Let the cock measuring contest begin!

Ps: please also let us know how hard you do shred the gnar and kill it in anything while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfelot View Post
    Heard that. LIFEisGNAR quit flooding TGR with your weak half-assed comments. Are you trying to set some kind of "speed posting record"? Are you on crack?

first off this was never about how long anybodies cock is dude, I just dont care. Second off, im the best skier on the mountain. Third off i posted this to inspire people who havnt tired longer skis to try em. If you rip short skis do your biz, anybody who likes long skis all the time knows what im talking about.

last off get some....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8347.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	625.0 KB 
ID:	106558

i posted this thing 2 days ago. already its got all these views and posts. interesting. most of my posts are constructive and im down to share what ive learned and learn new things. and they dont get shit. also, mags have been cool with the stuff i have sold. All you dudes out there that cant stop talking shit because i dont like short skis, get a life. or because i worked hard on here selling my freinds shit so he could get some cool skis. get a life. callin dudes out on tgr for how well they ski realli shows how much of a man you are. just drink whiskey ride and love life. you will not find comments from me on here dissin people. STOP TALKING SHIT and tell people why you like short skis
    Quote Originally Posted by CMSIV View Post
    Heard that. LIFEisGNAR quit flooding TGR with your weak half-assed comments. Are you trying to set some kind of "speed posting record"? Are you on crack?

first off this was never about how long anybodies cock is dude, I just dont care. Second off, im the best skier on the mountain. Third off i posted this to inspire people who havnt tired longer skis to try em. If you rip short skis do your biz, anybody who likes long skis all the time knows what im talking about.

last off get some....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8347.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	625.0 KB 
ID:	106558
    Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!
    You might be getting some shit flicked at you dude but you're a pretty funny fellow ill give you that much. The fact that you made the best skiier on the mountain comment earns you some good gnar points in my book.
    Bravo on the response and good on you for having thick skin and mixing it up.

FWIW: Long skis rock

How come your GF's going bald?

dude im not going to lie, i love to call out a " watch me rip the shit out of this man!"

Im glad you get it man. We have 4 dogs so we are used to shit. i hope you get some good snow tymonmay. lay it down
    Quote Originally Posted by tymonmay View Post
    Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!
    You might be getting some shit flicked at you dude but you're a pretty funny fellow ill give you that much. The fact that you made the best skiier on the mountain comment earns you some good gnar points in my book.
    Bravo on the response and good on you for having thick skin and mixing it up.

FWIW: Long skis rock

you guys need to take a look at mofros video of short skis suck and have a little humor in life. i was laughing when posted this and im laughing now at how serioulsy you take it. Go skiing and have fun for christs sake.
    there is no snow. how can i ski? rub that salt wound.

^^^^^^^^ lay it down I shall.... Mainly because I'm a much better skier than you

ottime i feel your pain and didnt mean to rub it in. i blew my ankle up and didnt get to ride at all last year. Just be happy you dont have to wait untill next year ( hopefully) to ski. Ill pray for snow for you becaue i was a dick and got to ski today. And tymonmay dude, do we need to snowlerblade race? extra points for lingerie
    Last edited by LIFEisGNAR; 12-17-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMSIV View Post
    Weird how this happens: Maggot Hook Up and now we have people posting 200 posts in a month. We all knew this would happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...