Fishing mags, Nice spinning reel?

Looking to get my dad a new spinning reel for Christmas, I haven't fished in years, but he is really into it, I know he is probably using the same Abu Garcia I got him like 6 years ago, so it could be time for an upgrade..

Whats good? I want something nice, round $90, though less would be nice, but more is an option if it makes a big difference. It would be just a general purpose spin reel, maybe like 12lb test? He uses braided line most of the time.

Ideally I could pick it up at a local shop here, or in store at Cabelas, or less ideal Bass Pro.

So, whats good?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Fishing forum.....JONG!!

I've always been partial to anything Shimano, though.

Shimano Stradic, and i have a used one for sale if interested.

I'll echo the shimano, never had a problem with them and you can find them anywhere.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Shimano or Penn. I think Shimano has Penn covered in quality at the moment, although I do like Penn.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Shimano Stradic, and i have a used one for sale if interested.
    What size might be interested if the price is right.

Pfluger has some nice stuff but hate to say I blew out the drag on one with only 7 days on one. Didn't know if it was the massive salmon I was catching. My buddies stradic held up much better. Troll cabelas bargain cave they have some nice b stuff. The pflueger president is nice for the money nice bass walleye and smaller freshwater reel.

Fresh or Salt?
    Go Shimano. The only Penn's still made in the USA are the International's. everything else is made in China.

The stradic may be out of your price range but the sphero's are great.
    Fresh or Salt?

Anything Shimano is usually good.

Daiwa is really stepping their game up in the salt market.
    Okuma is good too.
    I stay away from Abu Garcia- always seems cheap and Walmarty to me.

Do your dad a favor, and have it spooled with some really good braided line- like 10 lb power pro. You will fit a ton more line on, and it is a casting dream. Total game changer. Have a shop do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
    What size might be interested if the price is right.

Pfluger has some nice stuff but hate to say I blew out the drag on one with only 7 days on one. Didn't know if it was the massive salmon I was catching. My buddies stradic held up much better. Troll cabelas bargain cave they have some nice b stuff. The pflueger president is nice for the money nice bass walleye and smaller freshwater reel.

I will get the size, I have the sustain also. Either one I would sell. I think the sustain is cheaper and more within the OP's range

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Shimano or Penn. I think Shimano has Penn covered in quality at the moment, although I do like Penn.
    Yeah, call me old school as I know Shimano makes great reels, but I've been using Penn's my entire life and will likely never change.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Yeah, call me old school as I know Shimano makes great reels, but I've been using Penn's my entire life and will likely never change.
    They have changed though. The only thing they make in USA anymore is their really high end stuff.

Shimano is not what they used to be....still good stuff but I feel all have caught up or bettered. IMO they were the gold standard but Daiwa drags have been killing it. Quantum stuff is nice too but the difference between low and highend is vast.

Def run braid and a mono/andy leader

Shimano for sure
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    They have changed though. The only thing they make in USA anymore is their really high end stuff.
    That's a shame to hear. I have a number of old Penn reels that are anywhere from 15-30 years old and still work flawlessly. Just gotta grease 'em up every year or two and make sure you wash off the salt water after using 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Shimano is not what they used to be....still good stuff but I feel all have caught up or bettered. IMO they were the gold standard but Daiwa drags have been killing it. Quantum stuff is nice too but the difference between low and highend is vast.

Def run braid and a mono/andy leader
    Quantum stuff is pretty spectacular, but their salt reels use a magnetic bale, and it rusts out. My Daiwa Saltist has no auto bale- it is all hand done. I prefer it, since I usually do it by hand anyway.

Shimano. The Symetre is about $100. I've got a couple that I really like, they see use in both fresh and salt. Super smooth. For 12lb braid, I'd go with the 2500 size. Suffix braid beats the crap out of Power Pro. Next model down from the Symetre is the Sahara, they're $80 and also a good choice.

+1 on the Shimano Sahara. It has to be the best spinning reel for the money. We use them in fresh and salt water.

I was gonna say Penn, but then I read a few of the posts here and discovered that they're now made in China like a bunch of other junk. The Penn reels I have are kickass but also decades old.

hey gentleman,
    look at Abel reel, made in USA by quality craftsman.
    these reels are the smoothest fishing tool i own as well as strong.
    bobbyf

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    FWIW the Shimano reels in this guys price range are likely made in Malaysia...

I don't think you're going to find a brand new quality fishing reel made in the USA for $90.

If you don't mind going used I'd go with a (made in USA) Penn Slammer of your size choice. We've fished the bigger sizes of them offshore for years with no problems.

Okuma Epixor EF40B is a great reel that can be had for $45 on ebay. I've caught many 5-15lb salmon with it and even a few 20+ kings. Fits 150yds or so of 12-lb line , has a smooth drag, and a very solid construction.

Lotta new names here. You guys know we have a fishing forum, right?
    Come on over and post something.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    hey gentleman,
    look at Abel reel, made in USA by quality craftsman.
    these reels are the smoothest fishing tool i own as well as strong.
    bobbyf
    Great reels, I own two. Still no spinning reel from them just yet. All Conventional

Edit: I read too fast and thought you said Avet.
    Don't own any abels, didn't the Madoff kids buy that company with daddy's play money?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    Edit: I read too fast and thought you said Avet.
    No spinning reels from Abel either, and the spools aren't even within the price range, so pretty much a total reading comprehension fail from Flowing Alpy.