Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    ^^^Is someone recovering from a nice new bikini wax? Try aloe.

You are correct, I didnt get the size suit that was recommended on here because I found a 30% off deal for the 654 flash bomb and went for it after getting advice from a salesman in the store. That is my winter suit now, and when spring comes I will get something lighter. And thanks for the links to those local shapers, I didnt find them when I was searching. I wasnt saying mass produced boards are bad man, just saying I wanted something a bit different and like supporting americans. Im sure your board rips as you say.

Hah. Yeah, well....

I'm not butthurt on the situation.
    Shit, I don't care. it's not my equipment. I'm just being an over-agressive responder, because, well. If you ask for advice and don't listen then what was the point of even asking.

Look, it's not a big deal.
    As someone else said if you stick with the sport you will end up with multiple boards, and multiple suits.
    It's OK, you didn't make a MAJOR mistake.

But, If you are starting out, you should start with the propper basics.
    There is a reason why you found that 6 mil on a discounted sale. No-one surfs them.

Boards, eh, whatever. It doesn't really matter what you buy. Soon as you get into this you'll learn that all "shortboards" are really and unfortunatley just disposable items.
    Skiing made me Board

Actually, the total cost, including shipping from Hawaii still saved me $160 over what a brand new Lost or Channel Island board from the local surf shop would have cost me.
    Good stuff, although buying a CI off the rack is about as expensive as it gets except LB's, SUP's and some retro fishes. Getting a custom from a local shaper is about all I've done in the past 8 years. (primarily sharp eye and back in the day christenson) for anywhere between $300 and most recently $420 out the door
    Last edited by Piggity; 01-05-2012 at 08:35 PM.

I remember when i got my first surf lesson...(2003, hawaii 25 yrs old),
    I honestly thought I would be hot shit and ripping it up like a muthafucka in no time.(ha!) I had years of experience in all the other disciplines; snowboard, skate and was was a OG wakeboarding, (bunch of flippy tricks!) wakeskating and wakesurfing, still nothing I've =ever done compares in difficulty to surfing, except maybe math.

As has been mentioned; you spend 90 percent of your time and energy just floundering around learning about wave selection, positioning, and getting out of the crash zone alive that it's hard to progress with a bunch of 15 second rides... and that is if you're lucky.

What I learned is; be humble (stupid has it's moments too), the ocean has its own vibe and karma that has to be respected, and if nothing else you'll piss off less locals and in the future this thread will prevent all of us from have'ing to say "told you so, jong!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
    Hah. Yeah, well....

I'm not butthurt on the situation.
    Shit, I don't care. it's not my equipment. I'm just being an over-agressive responder, because, well. If you ask for advice and don't listen then what was the point of even asking.

Look, it's not a big deal.
    As someone else said if you stick with the sport you will end up with multiple boards, and multiple suits.
    It's OK, you didn't make a MAJOR mistake.

But, If you are starting out, you should start with the propper basics.
    There is a reason why you found that 6 mil on a discounted sale. No-one surfs them.

Boards, eh, whatever. It doesn't really matter what you buy. Soon as you get into this you'll learn that all "shortboards" are really and unfortunatley just disposable items.
    exactly.
    extra blubber fucking sux! wait till he puts an elbow across that brand-new bad boy, and all those one-knee stand-ups? good god! it's going to look like a golf ball. and that's minimal as long as he's smart enough to stay away from the many fantastic cobblestone beaches in RI... Knowing what I know now I'd only buy used boards for the first couple years... I did better and used my buddie' LB first couple years
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    wait till he puts an elbow across that brand-new bad boy
    UPS is going to take care of that for him,
    Then he'll have to return the board half way across the earth.
    Skiing made me Board

UPS is going to take care of that for him,
    Then he'll have to return the board half way across the earth.
    Ha! Just throw it over the gate, bro!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQy6xuI8x18

that reminds me; we forgot to mention he might like the durability of an epoxy ..or was that mentioned and ignore as well?
    get paid

congrats coolieman! ping me whenever yer up this way.

rog

that reminds me; we forgot to mention he might like the durability of an epoxy ..or was that mentioned and ignore as well?
    Nothing in this thread was ignored. At least one person recommended a 5/4 'or more' rubber for north of the cape, which i will be surfing. I dont care about having to get an extra wetsuit if it means more days in the water.

I inquired about getting an XTR epoxy board, and the people at Arakawa think its too hard to repair if you do get a ding, and also has problems with bubbling/gassing over time so they dont recommend it but would do it for me if i decide to go that way when my name comes up on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    congrats coolieman! ping me whenever yer up this way.

rog

Wll do buddy. Im In a rough block at school for the next 3 weeks but then ill be up in NH every weekend and some weekdays.

Hugh Conway Guest
    they fed you a bullshit line when they told you epoxy boards are too hard to repair.

Is there anything different about an XTR epoxy from regular epoxy board? I want to avoid talking without knowing what I'm talking about.

If no differences, then epoxy boards are very easy to fix. Same as if you are fixing the sidewall/Topsheet on your ski. Get some 24 hour slow cure epoxy, mix it, cover it with parchment paper to mold it and eliminate as much sanding as possible. I actually use Epoxy on my Poly boards if I need a quick fix. (Never put regular poly resin on an epoxy board, it will eat your board right in front of you)

Nothing in this thread was ignored. At least one person recommended a 5/4 'or more' rubber for north of the cape
    everyone recommended a 5/4 for N the Cape, no one recommended a 6/5/4, not a big deal, were just giving ya some shit.
    Im In a rough block at school for the next 3 weeks but then ill be up in NH every weekend and some weekdays.
    3 weeks? there goes your 6/5/4 window, you're gooing to need a 5/4 by then
    get paid

Just so you can read this line a second time.
    Skiing made me Board

I did say
    Rubber: Ideally hooded 5/4/3. I think a bit more of that is advised north of the cape.
    But then again, I don't surf there anymore unless it is August. I guess it depends on preferences. I don't even bother with the 5mils out here, because I prefer to paddle if I get cold. Still, paddling in a 6mil will strengthen those arms. One of my favorite things about surfing in NE from Feb-July is shedding layers and feeling like Superman paddler every time.

I also guess I should have noted "as a winter suit." But seriously, I remember dodging small icebergs when I used to surf Maine in Feb. Is 5mil enough to ward off frostbite?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    Is there anything different about an XTR epoxy from regular epoxy board? I want to avoid talking without knowing what I'm talking about.
    I'm not sure what "standard" epoxy is in the surf industry, really, there are a whole bunch of brands/variants floating around with various underspecified material properties and various working mixtures. Compared to boat epoxies the information on the surf products sucks.

XTR is a proprietary epoxy/closed cell extruded foam brand; you need some vent holes on the board to prevent delam/bubbles apparently. It gets repaired like any other epoxy board - even several years ago most surf travel destinations could repair epoxy boards if they could repair boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I'm not sure what "standard" epoxy is in the surf industry, really, there are a whole bunch of brands/variants floating around with various underspecified material properties and various working mixtures. Compared to boat epoxies the information on the surf products sucks.

XTR is a proprietary epoxy/closed cell extruded foam brand; you need some vent holes on the board to prevent delam/bubbles apparently. It gets repaired like any other epoxy board - even several years ago most surf travel destinations could repair epoxy boards if they could repair boards.
    More opinion, but the only epoxy I like is that which is laid over wood, so the epoxy brand really doesn't matter. This one happens to be resin research.

Someone was talking about wombats at some-point in the blah-blah. They are kinda-groovy, kinda Meh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0051.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	107490
    Skiing made me Board

my placebo rocket uses flexlite 2 epoxy. i love it cuz it's durable yet rides just like a good poly board does. really nice flex and rebound. not too stiff like most other epoxy and xtr boards i've tried.

rog

I surf almost every day before school on borrowed boards until mine arrive, just wont make it up to NH for a few weeks. The 6/5/4 has actually been treating me really well and doing exactly what I wanted it to do-- be warm enough that I never have to cut a session short due to being cold. Ill pick something lighter up in a couple months but Im really digging being toasty in the water.

I surf almost every day before school on borrowed boards until mine arrive, just wont make it up to NH for a few weeks. The 6/5/4 has actually been treating me really well and doing exactly what I wanted it to do-- be warm enough that I never have to cut a session short due to being cold. Ill pick something lighter up in a couple months but Im really digging being toasty in the water.
    Thats great, best thing for your surfing is to spend serious HOURS in the water, so maybe the 6 is best for you

Sent from DBT's moms house using DroidX and tons of anal lube
    get paid

Hugh Conway Guest
    More opinion, but the only epoxy I like is that which is laid over wood, so the epoxy brand really doesn't matter. This one happens to be resin research.

Someone was talking about wombats at some-point in the blah-blah. They are kinda-groovy, kinda Meh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0051.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	107490
    Nice looking board - you make it?

just wont make it up to NH for a few weeks.
    let me know when you do. if there are waves, i'll be on it. if it's dumping snow in the hills with surf at the same time, i'll be surfing. new/old rule in play this winter

rog

Nice looking board - you make it?

No, but thanks.

Palownia.
    Skiing made me Board

my EPS epoxy "point blanks" is bulletproof, albeit a bit stiff.

my XTR merrick is such a piece of shit. lots of bubbling, and rusty discoloration. all three fin boxes, and the leash plug all pulled out, and the deck is delaming mega. all within 1.5 years.

That's why I asked, ever since Clark Foam went under it seems everyone has presented the next best foam but then the truth comes out that it's brittle or there was a bad batch released. Seems like it's getting better but the first few months after the Clark Debacle was pretty bad. My old S-core was one of the strongest boards I've ever owned and the core was....well.....hollow, go figure. I rarely buy off the rack anymore though