Skiing around Fairbanks mid-winter?

It is looking like I'll be spending January- March in the Fairbanks and points north area... I have spent a bit of time in Northwest AK (kotz, nome, barrow) so I know it is ass cold and very dark that time of year, but I was curious if there is any skiing to be had around fairbanks?

Can't make the trip to Alyeska or Thompson Pass since it looks like I will be working 6 day weeks. Anything close enough for a day ski tour?

Just wanted to check to see if anyone has done anything up there around that time of year....
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Other than the uber-gnar of Moose Mtn or SkiLand, if you're looking for turns, word seems to be to make a trip to the Delta's i.e head down the Richardson Hwy for 3hrs and ski into the AK Range. I've only ever paddled in that area in summer, but it looks to have great potential. I do know that there are some cool cabins in the White Mtns, but that's all (flat) touring. The XC skiing around Fbks sounds good. My suggestion if you don't know locals that ski is to go and talk to people at Beaver Sports near UAF.

Sadly, in my +10 trips to AK in the past 10 years I've never taken skis.... the North Slope doesn't have much vert.

Get a fur hat.

its dark and cold as hell but there is definitely skiing around. I'll be up there for the governors cup we could grab some turns...

the snow sucks a lot of the time but I think on good days it could be really good.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Get a fur hat.
    Wear the fox hat ..

If you can't leave FBX much, then bring some XC stuff. Birch Hill has some great skiing.

Can't comment on anything more vertically oriented because the only time I went up to square-banks was during my nordic racing days.

+1 on Beaver Sports, they'll help you out for sure.