Thread: iPhone question

iPhone question

So I am currently using a iPhone 4s out of country, and had a question regarding data. I have the cellular data set to "off" but i was using google maps yesterday wih wifi and realized that it was still tracking my location thru location services. Does this use data if the cellular data isnt on? Not sure how the gps stuff works.

Thanks in advance,

-g

I think you should be fine, should be just using GPS. Isn't that sort of what turning cellular data off is all about?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

^^^^ this is what I was told by ATT

anyone know how to get the iphone 4 to rotate screens when you turn it on its side? mine stopped for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    I think you should be fine, should be just using GPS. Isn't that sort of what turning cellular data off is all about?
    So using gps while roaming won't incur extra fees?

Thanks for the help!

You shouldn't incur any charges, but they also sell prepaid SIMs which are super cheap. Throw one in so you don't get any surprises.

You should be fine. I used mine the same way in Ireland a couple of weeks ago - data off/locations on, on WiFi - and wasn't charged a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You shouldn't incur any charges, but they also sell prepaid SIMs which are super cheap. Throw one in so you don't get any surprises.
    As long as the phone is unlocked, right? Is that something you can do while you're in, say, Vietnam, or need to do before you travel?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Depends on the company you get it from Tye. Many work, others do not. Traveling Americans do this often so I would assume any cell shop in Vietnam could get you set up with something that would work.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1009225

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    ^^^^ this is what I was told by ATT

anyone know how to get the iphone 4 to rotate screens when you turn it on its side? mine stopped for some reason.
    Try double clicking the home button. Once the new menu appears, scroll to the left and see if your screen lock is enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Try double clicking the home button. Once the new menu appears, scroll to the left and see if your screen lock is enabled.
    That worked thanks!

When traveling with my iphone I usually put it in airplane mode, a $700 bill for 3 days in india was a surprise.

^does that not kind of defy the point of taking your phone with you?
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...