Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 LastLast
    My three deceased grandparents lived to 94-96, and my maternal grandmother is still in good shape at 97. I figure the odds of me going past 90 are high, which reading this thread feels like more curse than blessing. Maybe I'll take up wingsuiting in retirement....

If you assess the odds of you or your spouse living older than 85, be sure to have enough savings/retirement to allow you to wait until 70 to take SS

Here we go again.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

I really don't want to be 90.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Here we go again.
    It's true. $40K a year, adjusted for inflation, is not chump change.

I really don't want to be 90.
    Nor do I, and it's a very remote possibility. Nobody in my family has made it past 86. No male in my family has made it past 82.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Someday mother will die and I'll get the money
    Mom leans down and says, "My sentiments exactly, you son of a bitch"
    One of the odder TMBG lyrics.

I haven't paid into SS for almost 20 years. Although I did work more than the 40 quarters required to receive it, I know my amount is greatly reduced due to my state pension. From what I understand, my wife's SS payout is also reduced, for being married to me, although I can't find anyone who can tell me definitively how much hers is reduced. So I'm not really planning on it much, but whatever we get, I may start taking at 62.

What's the number?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I hear ya, man... I've got one in now, one heading in next fall.

I'm planning to have two kids in college at the same time for at least 4 years.
    ^^^^exact same...it’s a killer...every extra cent for the next 4 years will go to this....all of our “savings” is basically in a 403B, Roth and the kids 529 plans...just to get them through without huge loans.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    From what I understand, my wife's SS payout is also reduced, for being married to me. . . .
    You're on a government pension? If so, the applicable rule is called the Government Pension Offset.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I haven't paid into SS for almost 20 years. Although I did work more than the 40 quarters required to receive it, I know my amount is greatly reduced due to my state pension. From what I understand, my wife's SS payout is also reduced, for being married to me, although I can't find anyone who can tell me definitively how much hers is reduced. So I'm not really planning on it much, but whatever we get, I may start taking at 62.
    I'm in a similar boat. I have paid enough into SS to have a decent benefit amount, but it will be somewhat reduced if I continue with the state. I'm not counting on SS, but it will help.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    You're on a government pension? If so, the applicable rule is called the Government Pension Offset.
    Yes. Found an online calculator: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/gpo-calc.html

I'll have to dig into that a bit. Quick look shows that her "spouse's benefit" is reduced, but what about what she has earned in benefits?

Edit: Seems that WEP also comes into play?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Yeah a 401 and a pension would be great no doubt and I like Vanguard as well. The discipline part is still tough for most though. It’s just as easy to stop making those automatic deductions, or not deduct enough over the long term.

5-6 percent is over double the inflation rate. There is no fucking way they are getting that much. No one would, or should, invest in them if they were.

No doubt the small guys have higher fees.I think the new secure act has some provisions allowing smaller companies to band together now and utilize better volume for better rates.
    Google that. They are charging that much, probably because they have stupid or skimming trustees.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    And wicked

See that bulletproof dress hanging from the clothesline
    See the medical chart with the random zig-zag
    Now I'll help it decide

If I had to guess, I'd say they started with the long palindrome in the bridge, and worked their way out from there.

I'm pretty sure what you're talking about doesn't exist. Who are you "trading" with? If something isn't traded on the "open market", then you aren't invested in stocks or bonds. Maybe private equity and shares of companies that aren't public yet, like tech unicorns, but that's for really rich people.
    I wouldn't have thought I would have to explain this to a smart guy like you but the funds aren't marketed to the general public, only to the medical group. However the individual stocks and bonds in the funds are normal exchange traded stocks and bonds anyone can buy.

Edit--Jimmy Carter said the same thing about 3 pages back. (Talk about someone who refuses to die.)

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    It's true. $40K a year, adjusted for inflation, is not chump change.

Nor do I, and it's a very remote possibility. Nobody in my family has made it past 86. No male in my family has made it past 82.
    At 69 I am the oldest male on my father's side of the family for 4 generations. My dad died at 51, GF in his 40's, my younger brother at 50, and I have a living brother 2 years younger but he had a heart attack at 35. Now my dad's sister lived into her 80's but she had severe dementia for many years. I think my dad was the lucky one. (They lived longer on my mother's side; too long in fact.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I wouldn't have thought I would have to explain this to a smart guy like you but the funds aren't marketed to the general public, only to the medical group. However the individual stocks and bonds in the funds are normal exchange traded stocks and bonds anyone can buy.

Edit--Jimmy Carter said the same thing about 3 pages back. (Talk about someone who refuses to die.)
    Ok, then, that sounds like thousands of 401k plans.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    And wicked

See that bulletproof dress hanging from the clothesline
    See the medical chart with the random zig-zag
    Now I'll help it decide

If I had to guess, I'd say they started with the long palindrome in the bridge, and worked their way out from there.
    The progression of the sequence always resonated with me. A mother calling her offspring a son of a bitch to the snake head eating the head on the opposite side makes "I palindrome I" all the palindrome they needed. Sure, racecar, ABBA and "able was I ere I saw Elba" are longer than one letter, but nothing can match "I palindrome I" for emphatic self-reference.

(Sorry boomers.)

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    As long as I don't get laid off because the fucking fucks think I am not worth my salary
    Next time I'm with Nord, I'll put in a good word for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The progression of the sequence always resonated with me. A mother calling her offspring a son of a bitch to the snake head eating the head on the opposite side makes "I palindrome I" all the palindrome they needed. Sure, racecar, ABBA and "able was I ere I saw Elba" are longer than one letter, but nothing can match "I palindrome I" for emphatic self-reference.
    I agree. Flood and Apollo 18 were both quirky, cheeky, clever albums.

As in all things TGR, the correct number is 37.
    watch out for snakes

Ok, then, that sounds like thousands of 401k plans.
    Never said it wasnt. You started this food fight by claiming bs when I said my expense ratio was zero unlike your purported 4-5%. I was simply explaining how mine worked. You seem determined to keep an argument going over something, anything. Go fuck yourself.

And you too, sir.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Old guy fight. Keep it above the belt gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Old guy fight. Keep it above the belt gentlemen.
    That's a very small target
    Name:  high waist.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  85.9 KB
    Last edited by old goat; 01-03-2020 at 06:50 PM.

I’ve always pictured Benny as angry and of smaller stature.