Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, well, I wasn't born with no silver spoon up my butt. Worked and saved, and the ex didn't hire a good lawyer.
    You ain't no Senator's son, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Jesus christ guys.

TGR = the 1%
    Ya they are arent they bunch of JONG deuche geaupers. And im with advres on I hating Christmas. I have work to do so I'm not fucked for retirement and all my whole family wants to know is if I can go to yukyuks on new years (no?) and the "tree hanging party". Quit fuckiing cutting down trees gramma. Its not good for the environment.

Ah, I love my family.

Edit to remove fbombs.

I think it's around 12-15 grand a year these days. Sucks.
    You can find health insurance much cheaper. Yes, you'll have a higher deductible.

The cost of health care has been one of the things that's held me back from planning early retirement.
    But as I've researched there are reasonably priced alternatives. A buddy a bit older than me who quit three years ago pays $145 per month.

Check out this guys take on healthcare cost for early retirement

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    So these out of pocket costs assume no medicare/medicaid naturally, which will lower the out of pocket one needs to pay once you qualify. So that 500k number will drop once one reaches the eligible ages necessary, but until then better have a cushion.
    Once one reaches that age they also make no money and get unhealthier. My father is paying $2000/week in cash for cancer treatments before prescriptions and on top of insurance. He is 66. Well over $100K a year going out with nothing coming in. Let that sink in real good when you think you have enough money saved.

And if you think it can't happen to you I think you are being very cavalier about your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Verde View Post
    You can find health insurance much cheaper. Yes, you'll have a higher deductible.

The cost of health care has been one of the things that's held me back from planning early retirement.
    But as I've researched there are reasonably priced alternatives. A buddy a bit older than me who quit three years ago pays $145 per month.

yeah we looked into all that but, if you want to maintain your health and have coverage for medical tests, and of course if you get blindsided by medical catastrophe, we decided to budget it and do it.

Physicals, bloodwork, echo cardiograms, stress tests, breast exams, colonoscopies, endoscopies can and do pop up all the time. I would rather whip out by Blue Cross card, pay my small copay and be on my happy little way. i have friends going through chemo right now. That shit can bankrupt you.

I don't know if affordable 1st class medical coverage is a pipedream but I wish someone would would try.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Once one reaches that age they also make no money and get unhealthier. My father is paying $2000/week in cash for cancer treatments before prescriptions and on top of insurance. He is 66. Let that sink in real good when you think you have enough money saved.

And if you think it can't happen to you I think you are being very cavalier about your future.
    Both of my parents had catastrophic medical care before they died. That's one reason I'm trying to take this seriously. Fortunately the VA was there for my dad for the most part but despite the skill and care of those docs (and they were great) I still wish we could've gotten the smartest guys on it, rather than the guys we could afford. Mom died really fast so while the bills were amazing they didn't have a chance to keep adding up.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Makes you feel a little dirty, eh?
    Eh, nothing a little bit of '89 bordeaux can't wash away. Still it does seem like there should be some occupy the padded room going on.

For all you guys calculating your numbers as (expenses)/(average roi), do you plan on dying with fort knox in the bank? It seems like some of your numbers could be lower if, instead of never touching the principal, you plan to have reduced the principal to something reasonable by the estimated time of your death.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    No, I meant "make" but I think we're saying the same thing. I asked b/c of the amount people said they would need to retire if everything was free and clear. Seeing how I don't make $100K/yr and I owe bills (and am not starving), I can't imagine I'd need >$100K/yr to live if I had no debt.

Therefore, I don't need to make $250K, $200K, or even $100K off of interest to live comfortably...since I currently don't make that much.
    I think your right. The more you make the more you spend for most people. If you make $250K a year you "need" a $1.5mil house which even if its paid off has high property, high heating costs etc.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

For all you guys calculating your numbers as (expenses)/(average roi), do you plan on dying with fort knox in the bank? It seems like some of your numbers could be lower if, instead of never touching the principal, you plan to have reduced the principal to something reasonable by the estimated time of your death.
    Well sure, for mere mortals. But:

I'm gonna live forever, bud.

Quote Originally Posted by jack shit View Post
    yeah we looked into all that but, if you want to maintain your health and have coverage for medical tests, and of course if you get blindsided by medical catastrophe, we decided to budget it and do it.

Physicals, bloodwork, echo cardiograms, stress tests, breast exams, colonoscopies, endoscopies can and do pop up all the time. I would rather whip out by Blue Cross card, pay my small copay and be on my happy little way. i have friends going through chemo right now. That shit can bankrupt you.

I don't know if affordable 1st class medical coverage is a pipedream but I wish someone would would try.
    Pay for it up front, or pay for it if the shit hits the fan. Either way it is $15,000 plus your deductible. What if it cost you $5,000 a year with a $10,000 max out of pocket? Europeans pay for it too, in their gas taxes amongst other things. Most of the wealthy French I know also carry supplemental insurance, and pay extra to go to the best hospitals. It all comes out in the wash.

Once one reaches that age they also make no money and get unhealthier. My father is paying $2000/week in cash for cancer treatments before prescriptions and on top of insurance. He is 66. Well over $100K a year going out with nothing coming in. Let that sink in real good when you think you have enough money saved.

I was watching Colbert last week, and his guest was a certain Pulitzer winning writer by the name of Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee who just wrote a tome about cancer. He stunned me and I'm sure others with the stat that 1 out of 2 men, 50%, will get cancer. You can pretty much blame the eradication of other diseases and lengthening of life for that. And that is one hell of an expensive disease if you catch it early. Late, well.........

Now that we're on one gruesome subject, how about something worse, like ahem, long term health care? You wanna talk about a black hole for the family money? hoo boy......

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well sure, for mere mortals. But:
    I'm gonna live forever, bud.
    I wonder what the maximum integer for the post counter is....
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Using your argument one would need 2.5 mill just to cover their health care costs.

Life is a bitch, but its a bit unrealistic to expect everyone to save that amount.

Life isnt all about a number, but if I had 2 mill, half of which is providing a 5-10% return through rental income, Ill take my chances. If that makes me cavalier, so be it.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Verde View Post

As usual, the prices are much cheaper for a 40 year old. Still, thanks for the sites.

Jesus christ guys.

TGR = the 1%
    No, we grew up skiing and snowboarding because our parents were poor.
    I've been on here and Powder for more than 10 years. In that time, I have caught up to and surpassed my father's pay grade a while back. He set the bar, as I will for my kids. That's the dream, isn't it? Your kids doing better than you did? My views back when I was 25 were a whole lot different than they are now. I would guess that a whole lot of Mags are in the same boat as me.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Using your argument one would need 2.5 mill just to cover their health care costs.

Life is a bitch, but its a bit unrealistic to expect everyone to save that amount.

Life isnt all about a number, but if I had 2 mill, half of which is providing a 5-10% return through rental income, Ill take my chances. If that makes me cavalier, so be it.
    No life is about surviving. I think my father is worth that money and I bet he thinks so too.

I was watching Colbert last week, and his guest was a certain Pulitzer winning writer by the name of Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee who just wrote a tome about cancer. He stunned me and I'm sure others with the stat that 1 out of 2 men, 50%, will get cancer. You can pretty much blame the eradication of other diseases and lengthening of life for that. And that is one hell of an expensive disease if you catch it early. Late, well.........

Now that we're on one gruesome subject, how about something worse, like ahem, long term health care? You wanna talk about a black hole for the family money? hoo boy......
    Yeah, I didn't intend to send this into the sick zone but it is something to think about for sure. I know until recently it would have never crossed my mind if asked this question. But once it hits home it makes you realize things.

There are two numbers: (a) the $$ I need to get from from now (55) to age 67; and (b) the number I need at age 66 yrs + 4 mos when I can start drawing "full" SS and be covered by Medicare.

My two numbers assume: (a) a paid for residence with low property taxes and low insurance premiums; (b) no other debt, of course; (c) ample tools and other resources to be more self-sufficient than the average American; and (d) a pact with my close doc buds who have promised that if I become afflicted with a disease for which there is no practicable cure they will drug me to a quick painless death so that I will not -- as too many do -- spend a large percentage of my wealth in the last three months of my life. Fuck that.

My two numbers are contingent upon the possibility of establishing a retirement commune with some buds. Work on the project will begin in earnest after the new year turns.

My two numbers, combined, are far less than most numbers being thrown around on this thread. A simple life works for me.

There are numerous cheapo expat options.

I don't have kids. I won't inherit a dime. I'll likely be a part-time lawyer for awhile.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 06-29-2015 at 12:41 PM.

I guess we'll see.

I plan to blow it all by Dec. 20, 2012 and I'm not shopping for xmas next year.
    Silent....but shredly.

I was watching Colbert last week, and his guest was a certain Pulitzer winning writer by the name of Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee who just wrote a tome about cancer. He stunned me and I'm sure others with the stat that 1 out of 2 men, 50%, will get cancer
    100% of men get prostate cancer if they live long enough.

focus.

Wednesday night's winning Powerball numbers are: 12, 14, 34, 39 and 46.
    The Powerball is 36
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    (4,294,967,295 - 19k) / 2000 =......... Iceman out-posts humanity in jeans

I added up my insurance costs for fun today...

$3600/month. $43,000/yr. (That's health, homeowners, renters, liability, business and cars.) Once I punt the business, my costs are still up there: $2600/mo. That's not going down, either. I will be working for many more years...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!