Page 32 of 60 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Add 60K to whatever my number is thanks to my side sewer under the road. That's a tough check to write before christmas.

Goddamn. I guess that's finally the end of it at least? What a saga. 3 years from start to finish? More?

If you're skeptical/interested in the 4% rule, I though this site's methodology was interesting in how it looked at different retirement scenarios: https://www.firecalc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Goddamn. I guess that's finally the end of it at least? What a saga. 3 years from start to finish? More?
    Well, if you are talking about the ORIGINAL Poo under house thread where we basically called in FEMA, that was the last house. Still wish we had Dave Marshack, if it was the real Dave Marshack, come and take a stab at that one. And yes, this new house has had a 3 year history where we have been fighting the city and finding various work-arounds that pacify the problem with relatively minor expenses here and there. And then last night, my neighbor who is on the same side sewer came home from picking up his Mail Order bride at the airport only to find a river of shit at his place. He has the low point so is taking the brunt of this but I can't use my water if I dont want to exacerbate his issue. My kids have never been happier to not not have to bathe.

Anyway, it's time to bite the bullet. Fucking Seattle. I "own" 100 yards of side sewer under the road and there are natural springs everywhere eroding the ground under my old concrete pipe and its likely busted up all over the place. Could be double the quote, and the city inspectors are posturing that I will have to replace an entire intersection because of where one of the breaches are. They love when side sewers break so the citizens can repair their roads. Got a better bid from a company that doesn't finance so I've got be ready to cut the feel meal deal.

Not sure why I changed my name to a shady contractor from the movie the Money Pit.

tl;dr - fuck me sideways with an Alaskan Pipeline

tl;dr - fuck me sideways with an Alaskan Pipeline
    I guess that's better than an Alaskan Pancake Upsidedown Milkmachine.

Add 60K to whatever my number is thanks to my side sewer under the road. That's a tough check to write before christmas.
    Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Wtf?
    I get to pay to replace an entire intersection for the city. My potential nut is much higher depending upon what they find under that intersection.

That's a shitty number.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I decided that neither of my daughters can get married unless somehow a dowry is involved.

I have never heard of this happening, is this a local thing or is it common other places? As far as I know, around here, if it's under their street it's theirs. On the other hand I've lived on septic for 30 years so wtf do I know?

It's not common. If I lived in the adjacent city it would be less of an issue. In Seattle, owners own the line all the way up to the city main, and sometimes those lines are very long and very much under the streets. In my case, the main is 100 yards from my house and the the side sewer lines are in the middle of the street, the break is in the middle of an intersection and it may be 30 feet long. I got a bid for 50k to simply dig and fix in a 5x5 area. Expand that to 30 feet and add on the cost of a backfilling a brand new intersection and well... The city here is crazy. They will charge you for the permits to start work, charge you to then inspect the hole, then demand that the backfill be exactly of a certain spec, then demand much more of the road be newly paved than just what covered my hole. And once I'm in for a penny, I am in for pound - I am going to have them sleeve it both directions while in there so I dont ever have to deal with this again.

It's not common. If I lived in the adjacent city it would be less of an issue. In Seattle, owners own the line all the way up to the city main, and sometimes those lines are very long and very much under the streets. In my case, the main is 100 yards from my house and the the side sewer lines are in the middle of the street, the break is in the middle of an intersection and it may be 30 feet long. I got a bid for 50k to simply dig and fix in a 5x5 area. Expand that to 30 feet and add on the cost of a backfilling a brand new intersection and well... The city here is crazy. They will charge you for the permits to start work, charge you to then inspect the hole, then demand that the backfill be exactly of a certain spec, then demand much more of the road be newly paved than just what covered my hole. And once I'm in for a penny, I am in for pound - I am going to have them sleeve it both directions while in there so I dont ever have to deal with this again.
    Dang. Seems like there would be a way to cap and tie in closer. Merry fucking Christmas. Pm your addy for some Christmas cheer.

hopefully your neighbors new wife is from India. I imagine you have gotten advice from professionals. I have installed a lot of water and sewer and the home owner was only responsible to the ROW. I imagine you already looked into boring. good luck. Any chance you can get some other neighbors involved.
    off your knees Louie

Bellingham is the same. Must be a pnw passive aggressive city thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I've been thinking about this for a long time. What the number, in the bank, free and clear, not owing shit to anyone, good to go...what's the numberthat you bag it all and live off it for the rest of your life? At what number would you feelsafe?

This assumes a lt, if you're not a peson who could walk away from the system, I really don't care what you have to say. And if you're younger, of course the number would be bigger.

But just say that you're 50, (or so) and you have a pile, but like any pile it could be smaller or bigger.What's the number you need to laugh and walk away. Confidently.
    it's like an adult undergarment: it depends

zit's also like acne creme: proactive

Art - if your lateral side sewer is relatively shallow and they just performed construction, you might have a case that they damaged it when they had the road opened up. It didn't have to be directly hit for it to have been damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Dang. Seems like there would be a way to cap and tie in closer. Merry fucking Christmas. Pm your addy for some Christmas cheer.

Missed this before. You are a good man, N, and no need to send anything my way unless it's a backhoe with 100K in the scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Art - if your lateral side sewer is relatively shallow and they just performed construction, you might have a case that they damaged it when they had the road opened up. It didn't have to be directly hit for it to have been damaged.
    No recent construction, but there are a lot of interesting angles here with the City. Sinkholes, underground springs, etc but i need to pay to figure out what's happening under there. Going to bite the bullet, document everything and then maybe fight with the city depending upon what I see.

Sorry for the thread derail. Let's get back to how everyone else is going to retire before me.

The package was going to be marked "jams and jellies" and let you drown your sorrows. Maybe another time...offer is on the table. The bourbon thread has my wheels spinning.

Also, if you are going to leave the existing pipe in place, you might as your contractor about CIPP lining the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Bellingham is the same. Must be a pnw passive aggressive city thing.

Hate to tell you this guys, but any time you have to cut a trench across a perfectly good street or heck forbid a railroad intersection, you're going to have to pay somebody.

Most cities will not come out and do that shit for free at you or your contractor's convenience, even if the city owns the road and the utility under it. [Developers typically build out, then dedicate [deed-icate] everything inside the ROW [or up to individual meter] to city and/or municipal or private utility, which is the basis for most assumptions.]

First off the street and storm drainage is but one facet of a glittering jewel of expenditure. There's gonna be other UG utilities in your way, all property of others and due the same respect you demand of your properties. Then you want to determine why the existing lines failed, particularly if components are not older than normal life.
    Then, your city may require you to pay a surveyor to locate your new shitline in three dimensions for the water company GIS before you backfill it, as well as mark construction beforehand and do a compliance as-built afterward.

Could go on, but phone's ringing...

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    The package was going to be marked "jams and jellies" and let you drown your sorrows. Maybe another time...offer is on the table. The bourbon thread has my wheels spinning.
    Well goddamn, I can't stop a man from sending Xmas cheer!

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Also, if you are going to leave the existing pipe in place, you might as your contractor about CIPP lining the whole thing.
    Yep - already quoting that out. I will not be going back under that road for anything again after this so its getting sleeved.

The city I work for recently took over ownership of wastewater laterals up to the ROW so they could deal with groundwater infiltration issues that homeowners would never fix.

But yeah, we don't like it when people damage roads with utility work.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Dude, you taking a bath on your investments recently or something? You seem quite upset
    Remember when you traded currency and I warned you that you were trading against 24 hour banks and institutions? How did you do?

I ended up starting on a roll but then tapered back to a 3 year average return of like 11 percent, which was a bit more effort than it was worrh seeing as I barely beat index funds. Wasn’t some disaster like a lot thought would happen but by no means was I rolling in it.

PS. Guess you are upset. Get over it champ, other peoples lives aren’t all about spouting off that treasury yields went up or down, we know how to google.
    Last edited by AdironRider; 12-22-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    Live Free or Die

Annual bump. Good stock market year despite trade wars etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^ sure has been! recently went from about 95% stock to the classic 60-40
    "Can't you see..."