Page 28 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Looks like a ED commercial.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I was thinking the "before" pic in a Hair Club For Men ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    That dude in the orange and yellow... that's The Emperor, right?

Emperor of Terrace, BC.

Buncha standup mags in that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You have to get about twice that down here, just to pay for healthcare.
    yeah but you live in the excited states where Americans are actualy very lucky cuz they have the freedom to chose the HC they can't afford

whereas G is retiring to Terrace BC where they are stuck with universal HC & legal dope so besides a much lower incidence of gun violence Gary won't have to spend money on tourniquets

When you ski with Gary you don't actualy ski much because a) you are hungover b) he stops to talk to everyone on the hill and I do mean everyone, he is like the mayor of Shames,

11am on a sunday and a guy in the p-lot has a PU truck of swamp beer, it was stacked like cord wood in the bed so even tho I was hungover I had one

I seem to remember Viv telling me she is an RPF so probably it will be easy for them to PU work if they want

I did retire to the PNW 13 yars ago so I know what it costs how the game is played, at 45 K a year i'm jetsetting to yurp ( economy class eh), buying 6 K mtn bikes, hut trips and at some point you realize you bought too many skis, so now I'm spending the money on cat ski trips instead

I only have one suggestion and that is

G should really spend some money on new ski parkas
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Annual bump. Why not, the snow is marginal in Tahoe right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Enough for a modest cabin.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

^^^ Maybe if I win the lotto, otherwise I will be happy renting a condo in Mammoth for 60 days a season once the Mrs retires, as I really do not think she will be happy elsewhere, for an extended period of time. Thank DOG for her pension (teacher) and our rental properties income, as I am not making shit these days, but it can't stay that way forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Annual bump. Why not, the snow is marginal in Tahoe right now...
    Snow was good at Kwood yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    1 Mil to live on 'til death?

not enough.
    Plenty of people dying in trailer parks that would disagree.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Plenty of people dying in trailer parks that would disagree.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    At 65 with full SS that’s almost $7k a month. Ice needs to simplify his life.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Um, no. Ain't no such thing. Chances are 100-1 you're talking about a couple that remained together, before, well, one died, that reached that max. And then there's the discount of SS to pay for your Medicare, which is substantial, and if you have any other decent source of income, they discount that. Life is not easy for seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ...Gary won't have to spend money on tourniquets
    ...When you ski with Gary you don't actualy ski much because a) you are hungover b) he stops to talk to everyone on the hill and I do mean everyone,
    ... 11am on a sunday and a guy in the p-lot has a PU truck of swamp beer, it was stacked like cord wood in the bed so even tho I was hungover I had one
    ... I only have one suggestion and that is G should really spend some money on new ski parkas
    - But tourniquets prevent gun violence!!
    - WTF - not ski much??!!! WTF??!!
    - Oh the swamp recovery beer, I smile at that fond memory of beer supplied by the gods (and the herculean efforts of the Rupert-people.
    - A new jacket??? No fuck, that warranty replacement has to last me another 2 perhaps 4 years!! WTF!!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Great pic. recognize/think i've met one or two.
    Mayor of shames.
    chuckle.
    "Can't you see..."

Um, no. Ain't no such thing. Chances are 100-1 you're talking about a couple that remained together, before, well, one died, that reached that max. And then there's the discount of SS to pay for your Medicare, which is substantial, and if you have any other decent source of income, they discount that. Life is not easy for seniors.

Bullshit you dumass selfish old boomer. Full SS at 65 is around $2600 a month and $1m can yield about $40k a year. Just because you had some shit job that didn't pay enough in to get the maximum benefit. Ice said he couldn't retire on $1m:

So assuming annual inflation of, say, 2%, someone with a $1 million nest egg following that rule of thumb would draw $40,000 ($3,333 a month) the first year of retirement, and then increase that amount by 2% to $40,800 ($3,400 a month) the second year of retirement, $41,600 ($3,470 a month) the third, and so on

The maximum being paid out at 62, 65, and 70
    If you're at the maximum taxable earnings limit and you retire in 2018, then the most you can receive in monthly benefits at age 62, 65, and 70 is $2,158, $2,589, and $3,698, respectively.
    Last edited by 4matic; 12-18-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Sad little man with numbers in his head.

Life is not easy for seniors.
    As I watch people in my life age, it's those that continue to work that seem to thrive more.

Hopefully I will be able to do what I do for a long time.

No reason you cant other than after 35 years or so you are just burned out and don't want to put the energy into it anymore.
    Many careers are a young persons job (that;s what I call it) that just take an incredible amount of energy to do and over time it burns you out.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Bullshit you dumass selfish old boomer. Full SS at 65 is around $2600 a month and $1m can yield about $40k a year. Just because you had some shit job that didn't pay enough in to get the maximum benefit. Ice said he couldn't retire on $1m:

So assuming annual inflation of, say, 2%, someone with a $1 million nest egg following that rule of thumb would draw $40,000 ($3,333 a month) the first year of retirement, and then increase that amount by 2% to $40,800 ($3,400 a month) the second year of retirement, $41,600 ($3,470 a month) the third, and so on

The maximum being paid out at 62, 65, and 70
    If you're at the maximum taxable earnings limit and you retire in 2018, then the most you can receive in monthly benefits at age 62, 65, and 70 is $2,158, $2,589, and $3,698, respectively.
    Agree completely. These numbers are standard projections.

I think I posted somewhere in here about the SS "bend points", where your earnings hit certain amounts for benefits. Google it if this is unfamiliar. In brief, hitting the first bend point is most beneficial, the second bend point too (but to a lesser extent), and above that it doesn't make nearly that much difference. IOW you don't need to fill all 30 years for SS to provide a significant monthly payment.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looking at your math it appears to be closer to $6k per month initially, especially after the hit for your Medicare supplements, but ya, I think someone could live on that quite nicely if they had no bills.
    We own RE that kicks off about $4,500 a month in net income per million in value, so that is a little better return, but once I am in my seventies, I can imagine that will go down a bit, once I have to pay a property manager and their repair staff also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    As I watch people in my life age, it's those that continue to work that seem to thrive more.

Hopefully I will be able to do what I do for a long time.
    Most people hate their jobs. Which isn't good for emotional health if you do something you hate all the time.

I'm in much better shape after not working for four plus years. Sitting all the time is bad for you.

Midweek skiing is sooooo much better. A regret of mine is not owning a small condo near a mountain base. I'd work weekends for a little cash but more for a social life, and ski weekdays. Alas, the rental costs for a season are too expensive.

I think I'm pretty lucky in that I have a job that still has a defined benefit pension (although contributions are being frozen after this year). This will give me about $4k per month for life at retirement. And--at least for now--my company offers retiree medical with just a little bit more out-of-pocket than current employees. As of today I'm optimistic that I'll be able to retire at 55 or close to it, but I really haven't run the numbers. With my pension I feel like $2 million should be sufficient.