Older Nikon lenses on DX

Anyone try using older Nikkors in manual mode on a DX body (D40)? Thinking of getting an 85mm 1.8 or 2.0 and shooting with it manual mode to catch my kid's stage performances without flash. Would end up being about a 127 tele. I'm just seeking information about experiences. For instance, any issue with using handheld?
    Thanks.

85mm/1.8 Nikkor-HC is one of my favorite lenses, although it's usually on an F body. I've shot a D40 with the 50mm/1.4 quite a bit, and lately I've been messing around with a 500mm reflex lens on it.

Shooting handheld, the main challenge you'll have is the trade-off between camera shake at low ISOs and noise when you crank it up.

You also might look into the E series 100mm/2.8. You can get them cheap because E series glass is considered lower quality, but that particular lens is pretty nice. Great portrait lens, too.

there will be some vignetting as the image from the lens will be bigger than the sensor. Having said that, what does show up on the sensor will arguably be the sharpest part of the lens (middle).

Shooting at 1.8/85mm will give you a small enough depth of field that by the time you get focused, your kid/subject might have moved on.

That might be a challenge shooting manual focus.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    there will be some vignetting as the image from the lens will be bigger than the sensor. Having said that, what does show up on the sensor will arguably be the sharpest part of the lens (middle).

Shooting at 1.8/85mm will give you a small enough depth of field that by the time you get focused, your kid/subject might have moved on.

That might be a challenge shooting manual focus.
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this concept (vignetting). Isn't the opposite usually true?

Agreed that you don't want to shoot a fast lens wide open in many cases. Not only for the dof issue, but you'll lose sharpness and contrast.

you're right. I have it absolutely backwards.

Wide open certainly loses sharpness and contrast, though I often shoot wide open on faster lenses.

I've noticed, just shooting the dogs, that the DOF is small enough that if they move much before I can get that shutter clicked after focusing, then they move out of field of focus.

I'd presume this would be exaggerated when shooting manual focus. At least, I'm not nearly as fast and accurate as the auto-focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by outabounds View Post
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this concept (vignetting). Isn't the opposite usually true?

Agreed that you don't want to shoot a fast lens wide open in many cases. Not only for the dof issue, but you'll lose sharpness and contrast.

Thanks guys - good considerations. I'll just keep shooting with my 35mm 1.8DX or borrow a 50mm 1.8 AI-S. Maybe in a couple of years I'll improve and be able to justify getting a D7000 and the appropriate lenses at that time. Or, I'll keep blowing money on skis/ski trips...

One of several factors that went into my decision to get a D7000 was it's compatibility with legacy AF lenses. I'm still waiting to stumble across some sweet old glass for cheap...
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.