Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    NYSkiRat - I ski in Europe and I cannot imagine a better ski than the 99Pure for a one ski quiver. I ski the 112s but I often wish I had a little less width to deal with the ice from time to time. Also, the weight is important becuase once you get here all you will want to do is tour, your legs and back will appreciate it! Plus the Pures are in a whole other world. Bring Avy gear, a touring set-up, ask around to get in with a group to share a guide and have fun! Any further advice regarding Europe go to the Snow for Euros chain in the Ski/Snowboard forum.
    Skiah for life

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I tried the 99 and was underwhelmed. They have a decent grip on firm, but they get deflected in less than ideal conditions in wind affected or dense snow, to the point that they were scary.
    And get deflected a lot in the resort in crud, and for us at Squaw, this is after the first two runs on a powder day.
    For resort use in crud, I'd ride the W112RP, L120, RPC, or L138, not the W99. And for primarily resort use I'd look at Hybrids, not Pures, especially if you find deflection to be an issue. The W99 is a much more agile tool; you've got to change your technique to handle the terrain, not just expect a light ski to plow through it like a ski that weighs pounds heavier. It's like asking a Ninja motorbike to drive like a Hummer.

In any case I believe the OP was searching for a good touring ski, and the W99 fits the bill for many riders: strong, light, rockered, a bit of camber, etc... though I have to admit, I reach for the W112RPs 90% of the time, inbounds or out... personal preference, but I like a wider ski overall these days...
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    For resort use in crud, I'd ride the W112RP, L120, RPC, or L138, not the W99. And for primarily resort use I'd look at Hybrids, not Pures, especially if you find deflection to be an issue. The W99 is a much more agile tool; you've got to change your technique to handle the terrain, not just expect a light ski to plow through it like a ski that weighs pounds heavier. It's like asking a Ninja motorbike to drive like a Hummer.

In any case I believe the OP was searching for a good touring ski, and the W99 fits the bill for many riders: strong, light, rockered, a bit of camber, etc... though I have to admit, I reach for the W112RPs 90% of the time, inbounds or out... personal preference, but I like a wider ski overall these days...
    Just goes to show how different personal preferences & styles can be. Wifey & I were just commenting today how much we like our W99s in crud. I put in a lot of miles on the 138s during the two years Jackson Hole had no tram, and I while I loved them in the sidecountry, I absolutely hated them for the chair-to-chair inbounds crud-fest commute. I've been skiing the W99s almost exclusively for inbounds days in Jackson this year.

I'm with Suit. I ski my pures in bounds pretty much all the time. 112's have been out a handful of hours on the resort but I much prefer the 99 in all but big days in bounds.

As a biased dps fanboy mind you, I am here to say that I have been riding dps pure skis for the last three years both in bounds and touring.
    For me there is no other feeling that I want in a ski than the pure.
    FWIW, I prefer the w105 for the east coast in bounds. For big days the lotus 120.
    Touring mix it up depending on objective but usually on the 105 because I like the longer turn radius. Just my opinion. Variety is the spice of life. Get out there and ski.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

^^ Totally, I appreciate the feedback above, and it really goes to show that whatever works for you is always the right answer when it comes to getting the right planks (or boots or whatever). What I was saying was related more to rod9301's post in regards to W99s. If he doesn't dig them in crud, he'd probably appreciate a wider ski... I know I do, but I also find the W99s require more of a driving stance than I prefer too. I ski way more neutral these days and really dig the playful style of the W112RP, L138. And if Pures seem to deflect, definitely try Hybrids. (I ride Pures inbounds + out too.)

Now that said... I am just beginning to dial in the RPCs. For my style they are teaching me (anew) how to drive hard. And I have to say, I'm getting addicted to it.

I think for many of us who have skied many skis, it's more about shifting your game up. If you skied L138s for years, the W99s are a wicked different ride. For others, it's going to be the other way around. New skis teach you new tricks.

And fuckya, today was full of good skiing...
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

Been skiing the pure 99s last couple days here in big sky and bridger. They are my goto weapon. I love how you can drive them so hard.
    I really do believe of you live in the rocky region outside of alta/bird or somewhere that gets 500 regularly these are your goto all condition ski. I freakin love them.
    I'm hoping for A 184 rpc to come out. I think with the bigger turn radius it would be the bomb for the bigger days.
    All that said I haven't skied anything but spa for a while so I could be missing out on something else but I am so happy with the 99s I don't care at this time

186 rpc for next year

Beautiful !

Demoed the 184 112rp core and loved it alot. Had F12,s on them. They could slay at speed very comfortably same as my Faction 3Zeros in 3-5inches of skied out fresh snow. After trying many skis I never thought a ski could ski as good as the Factions but the DPS did pretty much the same feel over all. The DPS 112 was a little more forgiving is about all. Maybe a tiny bit softer feel going as fast as I could straight lining and slashing. I really want to try the 99rp also for inbounds. I think the two would complement each other well. I cant think of many other skis that might do it all as the 99 would because of the rocker. Most 99 waisted skis probably wouldn't handle the deeper snow if you came across some any only packed the one ski. Looks like a narrower JJ to me. My son skis those and loves them. i tryed them and liked them but love the 112 more than JJ,s. Better effective edging. i have a line on a pair of 191 99rps winter close outs Im really thinking about pulling the hammer on today or tomorrow? I really didnt mind the F12 binder on those 112,s so might just go with that binding also for an inbounds ski and dibble and dabble out of bounds once and a while. We get tons of snow up hear but my carver for in-between storms is a Nordica Jetfuel at 84 waist cambered. Great carver sucks shit in powder. it likes to find bottom:] Theres lots of days were having the ability to have the best of both worlds without a ski change would be awesome. Hit the park for a few laps and shred the pow,go rip a groomer and bomb the crud later. Throw in some tree skiing and that 99 at the waist looks like a good compromise if its colder and the snow is tight on piste.
    I think i just talked myself into these:]
    FACTION

Yup.

I am nothing but impressed with my 184 99 hybrids! I have had them in basically ever condition New England can throw at me and they have never let me down. What impresses me most is that they ski powder like a 110 waist ski and they rail turns on groomers like a narrower, front-side ski. Last weekend when we had 18" plus they blew my mind with how well they handled it. I really couldn't imagine a better New England ski (well, I hear the 2014 Pure 3 wailer 99 is pretty sweet!)

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Just wanted to follow up with some thoughts after ~7 days on my 192 hybrids.

I put about 6 days on them as they came from the factory and liked them but didnt love them. They seemed hooky and not very stable.

After some conversation with Marshal he suggested I detune the tips and tails in give them another shot before throwing in the towel.

I know it has been said before in this thread but these skis with detuned tips and tails are a completely different ski. These things rip.
    This.
    Demoed a pair of hybrid 99, was impressed and wanted a pair.
    BUT.... I was not happy of the 99 I got, the tails did not work well. Then I detuned tips and tails and the 99 became what I was expecting for.

Detuning with rockered skis is like waxing your bases... if you experience hookiness, get out that gummy stone.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

OK, I don't post much but love reading everyone's thoughts, so I'll pop in mine.

I've got about 10 days on this ski. 184cm Pure. Mounted with Dynafit FT12's and always ski them with Titan Ultralight AT boots. I'm 160lbs 5'10", and one of those "expert" skiers... ;-)

I've had a few days of firmer resort snow, and as much as I hate that kind of thing, they did as well as any ski at making me enjoy it. I would definitely trust them on something steep and firm that was high consequence.

What blows me away is how true some of those earlier comments were about them skiing like 110mm skis in powder. My other go to backcountry boards (now rock skis) are Volkl Nunataq's. Awesome ski, really enjoy touring the pow in them, but they just plain suck when the skiing gets firm. The Wailer 99's ski the pow just as well. Not kidding, but are much more versatile on other conditions. They butter and maneuver around anything, stay afloat in the deepest snow, definitely instilling confidence.

My old go to ski mountaineering ski was the K2 Hardside. Despite some reliability issues (I managed to delam 2 pairs of them, although K2 was good with the warranties), it railed the firm and the little bit of tip rocker made powder work. The DPS is a huge evolution of this for me. Still rails the firm, does a much better job in the pow, and does both while dropping about 2lbs for the setup! (Awesome on the uphill as well)

Only downside I see is that there's a speed limit. Not a low one, and it may be as much my boots (I don't run them with the power straps), but especially if the snow is variable, don't expect Alaska Heli Movie size turns...

Bottom line, highly recommended if like me, you do a few days in the resort, but primarily get out in the backcountry in all sorts of conditions and want a quiver of one that will be fun for any big or small mountain objective.

^^^ I've hit the speed limit on the 184s too, basically, if you want higher top end speed try the 192s...

But if you're wanting AK heli movie turns, man up for the Lotus 120 Spoon or Lotus 138 Spoons or just go for the 150mm underfoot Spoon out this Fall (and a heli budget) ;p
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post
    Detuning with rockered skis is like waxing your bases... if you experience hookiness, get out that gummy stone.
    Yes, but for the 99 it has been like jekyll and hyde. And not for hookiness. To me, it was for dull tails.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Yes, but for the 99 it has been like jekyll and hyde. And not for hookiness. To me, it was for dull tails.
    Same here. Washout city til I put a 3* SEB on them, and just detuned the tips a touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

Khyber -- I've got skis for that too. ;-) Do you find the 192s to be just as maneuverable?

^^^ The 192 W99s have a tad less sidecut than the 184s. The 192s prefer to point it down the hill, the 184 carves a bit more across the hill. In softsnow conditions the distinction is moot, however.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

Seems like there are a number of issues with the tune on these coming out of the factory.. is that common for dps? You guys putting a 3º side edge on, did you all have to trim the sidewall to do so? How are they tuned out of the plastic, 2/1?

DPS edges be 2/1.

All the skis I've seen here in BC this year have been well tuned, as in bases flat, edges sharp at 2/1, base structure, factory wax. That's what you want from the factory.

But this doesn't meant that the edges, detuning, or base structure are ideal for your region, snow conditions, average temperatures, and/or style...

Skis are like bikes, cars, or any other mechanical ride. Half the fun of owning good skis is learning how to tweak to your preference, conditions, etc...

That's how I understood the above; what is hooky for some isn't engaging for others. What is stiff for some is soft for others. There's an objective median we can talk about, like flat bases, but whether you prefer a 2 side edge or a 3 degree really comes down to preference, informed by style and your (snow) environment...
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

After a day on my 184 hybrids this weekend (finally): Yup.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

So I used the "ski finder" app on the DPS website, and the response I got back was either 176cm or 184cm. The rep who emailed me said he is 5'11" 165lbs and prefers the 176cm for ski mountaineering and bump runs, but 184cm for wide open powder skiing. I guess this is no surprise.

So I was looking for a few more points of input from guys who are about my size (6'2", 165lbs) regarding length <insert joke here>. Thanks.

185lbs, 5'11", 176cm mounted with dynafit. They r ideal for spring and a couple of days after the storm conditions. I would go longer for pow.