Drive By Truckers.......'Gravitiy's Gone'

Been hearing a bunch of hoopla about Drive By Truckers, lately, so thought I'd check them out. Picked Gravity's Gone 'cause well, I like gravity.

The notion I get from this song and somewhat from the group as a whole, is that it and they are sort of forgettable.

I mean, it's not bad music and all....but nothing ground-shaking or thought-provoking. It just takes up residence in that huge genre of Southern Rock. I'm sorta disappointed.

Or maybe I just picked the wrong tune. 138 likes and zero dislikes (unusual to have zero dislikes on youtube!!!) so I know that people like them...and I already know they're very popular.

Anybody else have any ideas/input on Drive-by Truckers? Do they put on a good live show?

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I was never impressed. But then again I hate southern rock.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

If i just picked a song or two randomly, i wouldn't likely be much impressed either. I was first turned on to this band in '01, when i moved to Atlanta, and ended up renting part of a house from one of their biggest fans and friends. Found myself backstage at the Variety Playhouse drinking Jack with 'em, going to a bunch of concerts, and totally enjoying their music.

Part of what makes them pretty damn cool in my book is how they broke in to the industry. They came out of the Muscle Shoals Alabama area, Patterson's dad was a bass player there. He met Cooley at school in Athens, they had a band 'Horsepussy', split up, then met up again in the DBT. After a bunch of touring, they wanted to put an album out, and recorded 'Southern Rock Opera', the first serious 'rock opera' since Tommy by the Who.

No label would take a chance on them, so they started the 'Drive By Truckers Investment Club', and their fans paid for their first album. And it went big. Four star review in Rolling Stone, and band of the year from No Depression. I still have a copy of that CD from that pressing. These songs are from that album.

IMHO this band is not served too well by a song here and there, but if you take the time and energy to go back and listen to their progression, it's pretty damn cool.

And like Patterson would say................TURN IT UP!!

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

This sums them up

great band, powerful live show. i dig pretty much every one of mike cooley's songs and patterson is no slouch either. band was better imo when isbell was with them, but they definitely still bring it. go see em, then make up your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Or maybe I just picked the wrong tune.
    Yup, think so. You should get a hold of Southern Rock Opera, and as someone mentioned; listen to the entire record. I'm absolutely not a southern rock kinda guy, but that record is so good. If you like that one --> The Dirty South..and then Decoration Day.
    Those are the ones I've enjoyed, never liked the new stuff that much.
    And yes, they were great live, but I'm not sure now since I'm not into their new stuff

DBT-Easily in my top 5 bands. BTW Shonna left the band last week. I gotta say I am not particularly broken up about it either. I was not stoked on her taking up album space after Isbell left.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastside View Post
    DBT-Easily in my top 5 bands. BTW Shonna left the band last week. I gotta say I am not particularly broken up about it either. I was not stoked on her taking up album space after Isbell left.
    ouch! didn't hear that. not broken up much either...but any departure from a band is a hit in terms of the show and productivity methinks.

Pretty sure they'll find someone to fill the small void left by her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Pretty sure they'll find someone to fill the small void left by her.
    Tal!

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

As long as she continues to park her boob on her bass I am good with Tal I guess-and she is from the South (sort of)

Its all about Decoration Day. By far the best album. The Shonna songs weren't bad but they weren't good either. I'm sure they will find someone.
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

Great band. You gotta see them live. A lot of their songs are stories about the south. So some of you may not get it, as Patterson says, "it's a southern thang". They were better when Isbell was in the band. Check his stuff out (Jason Isbell & 400 unit). But as we say, to each his own.
    "... when I turn, I just hope it hits me in the face."--Shroder Baker/Under the Influence