Mounting Dynafits (Radical ST)

Going the DIY route for the first time, any tips for mounting Dynafits? Will I need to remove the brakes before mounting? How much beer should I have available?

Make sure you have a high quality Torx T20 driver, and an extra on hand. You don't have to remove the brakes, you can adjust the heel piece which moves the brakes to get at the mounting screws.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Look at some of the threads where jondrums has posted mini tutorials. Use his template. Measure 2 or 3 times. Do a dry mount on a 2x4 before you drill holes in your skis. You'll be fine.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Sweet, thanks. I'm planning on doing several dry mounts before the real thing. Still semi-terrified at drilling into my new Praxis

at least a 6 pack
    watch out for snakes

Yeah make sure you have the correct torx, thoes buggers strip really easy. Naturally, tighten by hand without a drill and go easy on the screws and dont over tighten

May be helpful to mount toe piece then clamp the toe of your boot and mark heel hole locations. Take time to get the toes in straight and life is much easier.
    watch out for snakes

Thanks for all the help, I have the right torx, just got the first time jitters. I think itll go smoothly but I'm taking several practice swings.

The progressive tightening of the toe screws while watching the heel alignment is key. You don't have a fifth screw, so use one of the front corner screws to start with on the Radicals.

^^^what he said.

i usually mount and fully crank down heel-piece screws first. then screw in toe-piece half-way...insert boot in toe-piece...align with heel pins...and tighten accessible screws, before removing boot to tighten the others.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

For any project like this, I think it helps to have a nice metal ruler and fine tip sharpie. Measure, Measure, Measure before you drill. I always draw a narrow, dark line straight down the very center (longitudinally) of the ski on everything I mount, it really helps as a reference and I would recommend this.

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    ^^^what he said.

i usually mount and fully crank down heel-piece screws first. then screw in toe-piece half-way...insert boot in toe-piece...align with heel pins...and tighten accessible screws, before removing boot to tighten the others.
    To the same effect, I usually mount the toe, usually with the center screw on the old pattern. Pick a hole in the new four hole pattern, mount the binding and mark the holes when the center of your heel is centered on the ski center.

I haven't had to use a paper jig for a Dynafit mount in a while (due to having a really nice German-engineered jig), but it's not rocket surgery. All tips above are good ones.

If you're in the market for a super useful tool, consider

this center punch tool

which is great for putting in a solid divot to help keep your drill from wandering.

Regarding the center line, I use a 2" wide masking tape... to I don't mark up an otherwise nice ski with Sharpie shenanigans. Finding a ski's centerline is hardly an art form, but as it greatly helps with paper jig mounts, take some care in doing so.

One more thing I would like to add: set the heel piece to where you can reach all four screws at the same time. If you adjust the forward pressure almost to the the rear limit and twist the heel into climbing mode all four screws are accessible. This way you can avoid any unneeded fiddling with the heel trying to get at the screw-heads.

My advice would be to keep the beer locked up until you are finished. Then Celebrate! But what do I know???

Quote Originally Posted by slobmonster View Post
    Regarding the center line, I use a 2" wide masking tape... to I don't mark up an otherwise nice ski with Sharpie shenanigans.
    +1 on the automatic prick punch. Those are super handy, although they can be cheaper than in the link provided. Harbor Freight has one for $3! Totally worth it. (I typically won't advocate for low-quality, i.e. HF, tools, but in this case these cheap punches can still work OK. But something like a Brown & Sharpe really is the beesknees).

Also, it's true I get some sharpie on my skis... which I have yet to bother to remove, so all my skis still have the line where it hasn't rubbed off.

Quote Originally Posted by FineGrind View Post
    My advice would be to keep the beer locked up until you are finished. Then Celebrate! But what do I know???
    This place has gone to shit.