Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brent "Newt" Newton, RIP

Brent was my ski idol and a good friend.
    Not only was he the most positive energy force in the valley, always smiling, laughing and living large, he was also an amazing father and husband.

He ripped lines and hucked drops that I can only dream of.
    He always inspired me to turn it up a notch, and push my own envelope.
    I always looked forward to our tours together. He always had some new route that he carefully planned and studied and wanted to hit.
    Despite his thrill seeking nature, he was an ideal backcountry companion. He respected the mountains and the snowpack, and was prepared to alter plans and routes when conditions weren't right.

Insomnia was a drop that he has done many times before, and unfortunately something went wrong this time. I wish he hadn't done it, but then he wouldn't have been true to himself. Newt was just being Newt, and that is what we all loved about him.

The great tragedy here are the survivors. Not only did he leave his mark on hundreds, if not thousands of skiers, he left behind a great and loving family.
    Brent's lovely wife Sheryl now has the burden of raising their two beautiful sons, one two and a half years old and the other two months.

In that regard, there will be a fundraiser at the Moose on Saturday. Anything you can donate will be appreciated. Newt was a skier and a fireman and not a banker, so we are really trying to take care of his two boys, now that he cannot be there for them.

[EDIT - fundraiser at Moose was Sunday, and was a great success, but we still need more!! visit www.BrentNewtonFamilyFoundation.com for more info or check the TGR summit charity thread where you can send paypal donations to fred@tetongravity.com ]

Even if you did not know him personally, you may remember that happy laughing smile from the tramdock or his uniquely original "Tweakers" sunglasses.
    You may remember him making gondola laps with his oldest son in his backpack.
    You may remember his outstanding skiing, pushing the limits in bounds and in the backcountry.
    Remember him fondly.
    Love life, live large, and ski large in his memory and in his honor.
    He would want it that way.

Rest in Peace, brother Newt, you have left a huge hole in my heart, but I am all the richer for having known you.
    Last edited by ScottG; 01-28-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Unhappy

RIP.

sincere condolences to you for the loss of your friend Scott.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Unhappy

With two young kids myself, this just rips me up. So sad.

My condolences as well. Prayers and thoughts with you and yours.
    The Griz

that is heart breaking....RIP Newt, and best to his wife, sons and friends he left behind.

All that I've heard about this guy is that he was an amazing person, the ultimate ski bum, a person that embodied the reason why we ski. The TGR boys in Squaw talked the world of this guy. Condolences and R.I.P.

Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

sorry to hear about you friend.
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

RIP Newt - Sounds like a genuine guy with character . . . thanks for sharing the more personal side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    All that I've heard about this guy is that he was an amazing person, the ultimate ski bum, a person that embodied the reason why we ski.
    That's what I got from hanging out with Newt for a few stormy runs in JH a few years ago.

R.I.P. buddy.

Big heartfelt condolences go out to you from all the TGR mags. We feel ya and only hope the best for his family. RIP

B)

I knew Newt well enough to know that he was a great guy. He would frequently come into the ski shop I worked at in the Village. I can't for the life of me remember seeing him without a smile on his face. Always upbeat and positive and just fun to be around. There is a lot of testosterone and attitude in Jackson and Newt was always somebody I was happy to see in the tram line because he was never like that. We were not close friends, but I will miss him.

heard of him, but never was lucky enough to meet him - regardless, a HUGE loss to this fine world

RIP and prayers for his wife and little ones; their losses are immeasurable.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

RIP

Summit charity possibility?

We've been looking for something to get behind for the summit charity effort, and it's always seemed like a worthwhile cause would be to help victims' families - well, here's a great opportunity. Let's do this...

RIP, Newt.
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Keep posting details for the fund raiser for those of us that are many miles from JH.
    This is very sad. He was still going big at 39 - impressive, but devastating. Us dad's who haven't given up our big mountain aspirations need to be the ones to benefit from this sad experience by staying alive.

in the immortal words of Karl Stall ... "Let's do this.."
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

RIP Newt, many thoughts and prayers to your those that have been left behind....definitely a worthy cause for the Summit Charity.
    Revenge is like the sweetest joy next to gettin pussy

Condolences & agreement!
    Calmer than you dude

ScottG starts things off with a bang:

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23402

d.

Goodbye Newt!!

I lived with Newt in Durango and and will always remember him skiing bumps on Wapiti at Purgatory and his big smile. Very sad news!!!

I don't want to claim to know Brent, I don't, but in my two weeks in Jackson Hole I did meet the nicest ripper I've ever met in my life. I figure a few more positive words can't hurt.

The first time I saw "Newt" was during my first time in Rock Springs two weeks ago. We had just gotten to the top of the traverse below the Fat Bastard cliff, when I noticed a filmer setting up. Looking back at the cliff a guy is standing on top of Fat Bastard, blury with the wind wipping and clouds, but visible none the less. As soon as the wind lulled he dropped, hanging in the air falling, falling.....right before landing he scraped the rocks along the bottom of the cliff and plowed into the snow. I was worried, but he popped his head up and raised his hand and smiled. Wow, I thought, that was crazy.

Later in the tram line I see this guy with a Jackson Hole Airforce Patch who looked like the guy who did the drop. I continued to see him throughout the week skiing pow and in the tram line, always quiet, but looking very content.

A few days later I ended up sitting across from him in the Gondola. I asked if he was the one who hit the cliff in rocks springs the other day and said I thought it was very intense. Almost shamefully with no hint of bragging, he said, "I've hit it bigger, but visibility...I don't know." and with a big smile on his face he said, "I'll be back for redemption."

I only spoke a few words to him but he seemed like the nicest guy I've ever met. For the rest of the week myself and my friends admired his skiing skill and outgoing, very kind, personality. Whenever we saw him we exclaimed, "Theres that guy!"

As I said before I didn't even know him but as a fellow skier I have been affected deeply and will try to help as much as I can.

Peace Forever
    "Stoke your own fire or burn out like the rest"

Ditto what Snowrider said. Truly sad. Saturday morning riding up the tram and seeing the tracks caused my mouth to gap open. On the next ride up there was a big "peace" sign with the infinity sign below it...that opened my eyes to tears.

Forever rip on.

Jackson Hole video of the week, 1/8/05

http://www.jacksonhole.com/movies/010705.mov

WWW.BRENTNEWTONFAMILYFOUNDATION.COM

pass it on to other maggot ski bum sites, please, so that we can maximize the fundraising for Newts wife Sheryl and little Owen and baby Warren.
    thanks
    ps fundraiser 8pm sunday at the mangy moose