Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SUP?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    OR it looks like you took a closeup of a penguin after someone jacked off on your lens. YMMV.
    My bad... Somehow I posted the link to a home movie
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Sup, Homez?

Yo...I sed Sup, Homez!!

Godadamint, homey...you listen to me wen I be talking to you !!! You ain't no Blood!

Oh...you mean SUPs. Fuck em. They're the stupidest, most ridiculuous waste of money on the water. Every time I see one, I think to myself what a fucking loser (except for the hot-looking babes with bikinis and tight abs).

The first time I saw a SUP was in the movie "Waterworld", I think.

On second thought, then, they're hella better than smokers on jet-skis!

My problem with SUPs is they're so inefficient. Yeah...they'll work your a abs and work your propioreception a little, but I think you can get a far better work-out if you invest in a decent fast sea-kayak or rowing shell. They'll work your abs too.

SUPs are a fad....nothing more.

But if it's a choice between a SUP and a jet-ski...I highly endorse SUPs.

EDIT:
    But maybe I'll reserve judgement on SUPs until I rent one in a couple days for the first time. I still think they look ghey, though. But I'll report back in a few.

--
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 09-05-2012 at 10:43 AM.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

i'm a smoker on a jetski
    1994 kawasaki ts 635cc with 463 thrusting lbs. of power.
    my big floater windsurf boards make for entertaining paddling in wind chop and boat wakes, balance on your feet is much different than sitting on your ass.
    glad you like ckicks with tite asses in bikinis akr.
    bobbyf

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    propioreception
    You have "Word of the Day" toilet paper, don't you?
    I still call it The Jake.

Before long I bet some idiot campaigns to make SUP'n an Olympic sport. Thrilling.

If there is zero chance of something cathing fire and exploding or someone getting carted off in a heli, then I have no interest in watching.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    You have "Word of the Day" toilet paper, don't you?
    nice!

ok biatches! i have a couple sups (yo!) and a bunch of surfboards too. i'm kinda anti-sup and the trendy bs of it all...especially the yoga sup'n going on now too. but, hey whatever floats your...sup? doh

but on funky point breaks in a coves they are pretty nice. if the wave peters out and then picks back up you can stay with it. but for the most part i use it on flat days just f'n around. ride the tail, get the nose up in the air and spin the thing around. do the same riding the nose. it's pretty good fun and kind of like being on a slack line. i fall a lot and thats the fun part too. but ya, overall the whole trend is pretty ghey...but it's something to do.

I don't really understand why guys on a skiing forum are hating on SUP so much. Most skiers I know also fly fish, kayak, or surf in cold, sharky water. All activities where a SUP is useful. It's also a good activity for people with bad knees, bad backs, even bad shoulders. This describes about 95% of the guys I know who have been charging hard for 15+ years.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    Most skiers I know also fly fish, kayak, or surf in cold, sharky water. All activities where a SUP is useful.
    because SUPs are kinda poor craft for all of those activities listed? I mean, they are fine an all for dicking around. relatively cheap/light/easy to drag around compared to an actual boat of most kinds, but boats or surfboards smoke them for most anything.

Personally I'd take a paddleboard over a surfboard in cold, sharky waters. Also, after owning a drift boat and a float tube, I much prefer a paddleboard for fishing...granted I usually use the board for transport & fish from gravel bars. The problem with owning a drift boat is you end up doing more rowing than fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    because SUPs are kinda poor craft for all of those activities listed? I mean, they are fine an all for dicking around. relatively cheap/light/easy to drag around compared to an actual boat of most kinds, but boats or surfboards smoke them for most anything.
    You could say the same thing about telemarking compared to AT gear or snowboarding. Different conditions call for different disciplines.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    You could say the same thing about telemarking compared to AT gear or snowboarding. Different conditions call for different disciplines.
    telemarks useless - like SUPs.

Whatevers, I think some haters are losing focus of the other benefits.

Mud, you make a strong case... Well done.

SUPing leads to stuping:

Fun for the wee ones, too:

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Sup, Homez?

Yo...I sed Sup, Homez!!

Godadamint, homey...you listen to me wen I be talking to you !!! You ain't no Blood!
    AKR - you are so white it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    AKR - you are so white it hurts.
    Not just white... virgin white.

Dude's never even SUP'd, yet has a page worth of opinions. Anxiously awaiting his real report, so I'll know how I should feel.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Whatevers, I think some haters are losing focus of the other benefits.
    You get a toned ass and work on your tan?

it's a balance of many functions

I got stoked on being on the water here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...4894-TR-SUP-AK

Inspired enough to move to maui for the winter and forsake skiing for the FIRST TIME EVER!

I think it is funny coming into a sport and observe all these preconceived ideas of how things should be.

I just finished my 11' moto-surfer which is hollow wood construction with a transon for a little 4hp. You think SUP is a travesty? MotoSUPing trumps that. Oh and I can't wait to try SUKing! You know, Stand Up Kiting. TR to follow. Hugh is a gaylord.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Progress it carpathian brah! Drive the sport! Dude, none of that shit is new. Just the "label" of it as a new sport.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post

Inspired enough to move to maui for the winter and forsake skiing for the FIRST TIME !
    You'd better take up kiting or windsurfing... Best in the world there!

Great, now Hilton Head is taking on SUP refugees from GA.

Someone really needs to get this border crisis under control.

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/georgia/2-t...-island/nghFP/

The Associated Press

HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. —

Two Tennessee women are safe after a storm blew their paddleboards from a Georgia island to a South Carolina island.

Twenty-seven-year-old Cayci Underwood and 21-year-old Summer Underwood set out from Tybee Island, Georgia, when they were caught by stormy weather and spent hours on the water Tuesday.

They abandoned their paddleboard when they were is sight of Hilton Head Island and it took 45 minutes to make it ashore, nearly 8 miles from where they started.

The Island Packet of Hilton Head reported (http://bit.ly/UdDrcl ) the half-sisters from Athens, Tennessee, were sunburned, scraped and exhausted by their eight-hour ordeal.

Summer Underwood said Wednesday that people on the beach helped them out of the water and told them where they were.

Both women were wearing life jackets.

___

Information from: The Island Packet, http://www.islandpacket.com

Copyright The Associated Press
    I still call it The Jake.

I went fishing in the calm rivers of middle TN today. I saw a guy fishing from his SUP and getting to the good spots. He said he caught 8 in an hour, I left with none, but I also suck at fishing.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

What the hell happened to Iceman?

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    What the hell happened to Iceman?
    Dropped on my head as a child.

"Summer Underwood" sounds like a name from Caddyshack.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i don't care if hugh thinks i,m a fadster
    once i that permit or tarpon of my dreams eats that fly on my sup
    im doin a fuck yeahs jig on that thing if i mange to land it of course
    fishin of the sup and trying to dial that combo saved my summer in that get out of town hall passes were in short supply
    so the ease of throwin it on local waters for a few hours was great
    not super tough on still water
    throw in gradient driven flow and obstructions
    and the decision of when to cast and when to paddle and it gets interesting
    same with white water
    gotta knows when to hold em and when to fold em
    drop lower that center of gravity and dont
    get eliminated
    other than that
    the momentum is your friend
    speed kills
    lesson is important
    icemansupsindenim
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno