Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Str8line Steeps Camp 2012 Schedule and Maggot Pricing-Also Some Questions For You

There's been an informal thread in the Padded Room(Thanks Irul) for a while now but I haven't really announced this years camps(www.straightlineadventures.com) and discounts for the maggots, so here goes:

There are currently (maggot)camps on January 6-8(Fri., Sat. Sun.) and March 9-11(Fri. Sat. Sun.) at Alta/Bird. There might be a early or late February camp as other plans get ironed out and/or as these two camps get sold out. Prices and maggot discounts are below.

Let me say thank you so much to all the maggots who have attended the camps over the years and especially to the ones who have been to multiple or even several. You know who you are and I can't tell you how honored me and the other coaches(Brant, Ben, Chris, Jeremy, Carlo, etc) are that you've taken the time and spent the money to come ski with us.

As you probably know, we lost our friend and coach Jamie Pierre recently. I just wanted to mention here that we'll miss him, as I'm sure many of you will who have gotten to know him. He never passed up the opportunity to bring out the awe factor with his groups, whether it was himself hucking or inspiring others to huck or challenge themselves on a line. He brought out the brass balls in some of you as only Jamie could. He also opened his heart to share his personality, which seemed to click with so many attendees. After every camp he would tell me how much he enjoyed coaching the maggots.

Not sure if you all noticed, but Brant, Ben and Carlo were in this years Warren Miller film, "Like there's No Tomorrow". It was a big Utah segment and they owned it. They're still the same humble down-to-earth dudes, but they've informed me that they'll now be charging for poster signings(yes, they got new posters out of the deal). In beer or bourbon.

The price for the camps is the same for the fifth straight season. Maggots get a $150 discount, which makes the price $525 for the three-day camp with all of the apres activities, including video analysis, avalanche seminar(thanks Craig Gordon from the Utah Avalanche Center) and slide shows from the badass professional photographers(Brent Benson, Adam Barker, Steve Lloyd, etc.). Returning attendees get an additional $50 off, so $475. Right now there are 6 spots left in the January camp and 7 spots left in the March camp.

There have always been 3-day Alta/Bird camps and some of you asked if there'd ever be two-day camps or even a one-day mini-clinic. I know that some people want another option to the three-day camp so I'm contemplating offering some shorter camps, especially for locals who can't do the full camp for financial reasons. Is there any interest in two-day or even one-day mini-camps with video? The cost could probably get down to a very reasonable level. If there is any interest in a shorter camp/clinic please let me know so I can gauge whether it makes sense.

Thanks.
    Last edited by str8line; 12-06-2011 at 11:46 PM.

If you've never gone and are considering it, do it. Super-highly-recommended. This will help your skiing and is a lot of fun.

I'd go again, and still might sign up if spaces are available after the new year.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I signed up for both and might even do a third if its fits.

As an out-of-towner a 2 day wouldn't be worth it.

Great experience, anyone who goes won't regret it. I could blab on and on about how good an experience it is but I think there's tons of other people who have done so already and my coffee's not working yet.

Basically you ski hard all day, they take video of you, and then at night you watch the videos and figure out a few things to change for the next day. Its a very positive and fun way to learn, and since everyone has been skiing for a while and takes it seriously, the video analysis is the best way to get coached.

Three days camps seems to be the right number for "local" camps while longer camps for Yurp or AK would make more sense. I can see some Utards doing a one or two day camp, but it doesn't seem worth it for those of us who travel a good bit to get to camp.

Another vote for those on the fence about doing Gorfy camp, it is well worth the time effort and expense.

I am on the fence about doing one this year. I am waiting to see how my knees are doing. I had to dial it back last season, but them seem to be okay, and I am just waiting for the Sierra season to get going to test them out after arthroscopy this summer. But, having been to three camps, I will gladly do my fourth when possible.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    said it before but the cool hing about gordy, brant, ben and the other great coaches is they have this way of getting the this is what you need to ski "better" advice across to each individual in a manner that works, and they are fkna good at it.
    I doubt I'll have $$$$ to participate and would love to send the mrs., but if your attending the camps and need a place to crash hit me up
    CSW was a great guest and helped me with an electrical issue. so it was a win win.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Are these clinics all in-bounds or do you venture out the beyond the gates?
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

inbounds but will play maggot tour guide before/after camp for...........
    shits and giggles
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yeah, they are in bounds, but the coaches know lots of hidden stashes that may as well be out of bounds. While not a full avi class, more of an avi awareness session, these camps work on a lot of techniques for BC skiing.

Some camps, like the euro camp are mostly lift served BC with some skinning.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

For gnarly skiers only? or can the mortals play.

^^^They let me attend, so yes.

If you can handle ungroomed black diamond slopes on your local hill you will do fine. You will be challenged and ski things that make you nervous, but the coaches have a way of getting you to comfortably ski things you might otherwise hesitate to ski.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    coaches can calm down any crazy style;some athletic ability required.....flail your soul ,not your arms
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Signed up for the January camp with a couple of buddies. Everything I've heard and read about these camps is exactly what I'm lookign for - i.e. push my boundaries, improve my skiing and genrally just ski hard on great terrain for a few days. Super stoked to get out there.

I highly recommend these camps and support this message

I would be all over a 2day or even 1day clinic like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm. It is already a killer deal, but I still don't think I could convince my wife to drop over $500 for me to get better at doing stuff she probably doesn't want me doing anyway.

Short Camp Response: Posative.perfect for the recently hobbled,maggotme.Also ,any you welcome to some cardio up summer road with
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

I'm a local who would definitely be interested in a single day session.

It's an awesome time. I'm in for the March camp (and a place for the on-site lodging, whether it's the Cliff or a Condo). If you're on the fence at all about doing it, do it. It breaks down into multiple groups, so you really don't have to worry about getting in over your head or slowing down some super gnar dudes.

Gordy's camps rule. Solid product, proven method, fun to ski with coaches who will push you, and help you get it.

The man has it dialed, and props to him for keeping the costs steady for so long.

I keep up a diet of one camp a year to help me progress...
    I try to get as many friends on board as possible

The prices are super reasonable for the quality of coaching (videoanalysis is HUGE).

I have also enjoyed skiing with mags post camp.
    It also helps to practice what was learned in the camp.

I think this is where the 2 day camps will help (allow a warm-up day and then a post-camp ski day or two).

I've met a lot of good peeps at the camps.

Gordy, I wish you continued success!

Brant, Ben and Carlo are all great coaches.
    RIP Jamie (really enjoyed him as a coach last year)

Craig Gordon's avy talks are an awesome add-on.

Thanks Gordy, you've make an awesome contribution to the community with your camps.
    Aggressive in my own mind

protip: you don't have to pay to ski with those guys if you can keep up

[QUOTE=ectreeskier11;3463126]protip: you don't have to pay to ski with those guys if you can keep up ........the decades of ski knowledge,as applied to real life circumstance,the coaches bestow, is half experience( listen well between shots&hits)

If only I wasn't so far away I'd go. An Alaska camp sans heli would be tits, I couldn't afford the heli but I sure can hike.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I'd be down for a one day and maybe a two day, it's a lot of dough to come with.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by ectreeskier11 View Post
    protip: you don't have to pay to ski with those guys if you can keep up
    ectreehucker noes and can keep up with pros
    should of guessed
    please video Craig G
    SWEET BABY JEEBUS IT HURTS MY EYES TO WATCH THAT HIPPTY HOPPITY ARMS FLAILING WIGGLE SHIZZ
    please help him

I had a great time, too. Lots of fun, great video analysis, apres laughs, etc.

With Gordy's maggot discount, it's an amazing value. Wish I was there during the camps this year, but will be one week early.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    I'd say we're mostly morals... at least I know I am. Some video footage of our group "B" filmed by Jamie... RIP

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post

I'd say we're mostly morals... at least I know I am.
    Sure......
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<