Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    40 minutes to the closest area. 30 minutes, maybe a bit less to closest back country. 1:45 door to door of my place at Schweitzer. 3 hours to the closest heli op in BC. No complaints.

About 40 minutes to Snowbird

Six minutes. Bullshit snow year. But six minutes.

One hour forty to Crystal - with rare weather or moronic driver related exceptions, it's always one hour forty. I've made that drive over a thousand times...yet I'm amazed by how often people assure me that it takes much longer than that. I generally agree, and tell them not to bother with the heinous drive.

When I was 19 it was 1 hr 20, when I was 30 it was 1 hr 30 minutes and now it's close to 2 hours.

Can ski to the base of TSV in about two minutes or skin from the front door.

You make your choices in life.

This is not next to a mountain:

I'm good with it.

How far do you live from skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Lately it's been 2-3 hours to Alta on powder weekends instead of 30 minutes.
    I've had good lucking hitting the bottom of the canyon at 8am this season. Have hit the snake at the top of the hill above La Caille sign right as it starts rolling, but few delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Nada. It's private property, technically 'closed' to public access. Definitely no snomos in this zone. But you can use them for the county roads and up Lynx & over to Gore passes, or go to Rabbit Ears East or N up Buff Pass, etc...
    I remember when it opened. Looks like a pretty nice place to live with the lake there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I remember when it opened. Looks like a pretty nice place to live with the lake there now.
    Tailwaters below the dam are so fun. Great fishing. Love being so close to the Flattops too. Still nothing commercial, gotta go to Oak Creek or Steamboat for goods. Just houses and lots of land still up for grabs. All of South Shore is off the grid. Wifi no problem, have direct line of sight from my back deck to tower across the lake. Phone...well I use Skype...can get texts but no calls usually, tried all major carriers and none get consistent service. Screw a landline, haven't had one since 1999 and ain't gonna get one now. Other than that and the occasional stray cow in middle of road, yeah, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I've had good lucking hitting the bottom of the canyon at 8am this season. Have hit the snake at the top of the hill above La Caille sign right as it starts rolling, but few delays.
    Earlier is always better.

I've also heard that people leaving at 4pm-ish, on two different weekends, had a 3 hour drive just to the bottom of the canyon.

30 minutes to Wintergreen. It's no Alta, but the kids don't know any better.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

30 minutes to crap, 60 to a little bit better, 2 hours to sometimes worth the price of a lift ticket, 3.5 hours to good. Unfortunately tix have gotten so expensive that I haven't skied lift served with the family in going on three years now. Pharted around in the local woods a bit the last two years on really good days but strangely enough not missing it much as long as the mt biking is good to go.

Jax- I had a bunch of friends that lived in the condos near where you are before I moved away from there in '96. I don't remember it being closed to public access, we used to do a fair bit of 'bc' there but without snomo's. We also rode our bikes back in those hills a lot, Sarvis (?) Creek and another I don't remember the name of and there were two that dropped off Rabbit Ears and came down almost to the lake too. Lynx rings a bell but the memory isn't what it used to be

Ice - I'm leaning sort of in that direction but somewhere near or below Marathon rather than New England so, 1000+ miles south.

Is that golf course any good?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You make your choices in life.

This is not next to a mountain:

I'm good with it.
    Last edited by skiballs; 01-27-2016 at 05:08 PM.

2.75 hrs to 12 skiable man-made acres 740 vert. 5 hrs to 1.2k vert 100 skiable acres, same man-made crap. All essentually blue runs with minimum 10m lift lines.

9hrs driving to anything that remotely resembles "real" skiing.

FML.
    "Can't you see..."

Right now? About 1 million.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    If that's Acoaxet, then yeah. Absolutely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    It's hard to imagine a more spectacular setting and I hear it's good, it's only 9 holes though.

http://www.acoaxet.com/Club/Scripts/Home/home.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    If that's Acoaxet, then yeah. Absolutely beautiful.
    oops yeah, I shoulda read to the end. It is Acoaxet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    Right now? About 1 million.
    Injury?

I'm 2 miles from a garbage dump with lifts.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Injury?

I'm 2 miles from a garbage dump with lifts.
    Count your blessings!
    Mt Brighton?
    I still call it The Jake.

1 hour to Alpental, 1 hour 40 minutes to Crustal, 20 hours to Silverton.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Pulled over twice in 25 years - one ticket, one conversation. It took an hour forty-five on those 2 days. Amortizing the cost of the ticket over the number of trips - about 10c per trip.

A buddy got a ticket for doing 45 on the boulevard from the Forest Service while trying to make CMAC on time when his daughter wouldn't get out of bed - that was a federal ticket: $270 or so, which didn't improve his father-daughter bonding experience

Quote Originally Posted by ianpnw View Post
    Pulled over twice in 25 years - one ticket, one conversation. It took an hour forty-five on those 2 days. Amortizing the cost of the ticket over the number of trips - about 10c per trip.

A buddy got a ticket for doing 45 on the boulevard from the Forest Service while trying to make CMAC on time when his daughter wouldn't get out of bed - that was a federal ticket: $270 or so, which didn't improve his father-daughter bonding experience
    Federal ticket on Blvd not such a problem these days that guy was gone away. There's a lot of backstory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

1hr to the 'good' stuff

I don't want to talk about next year.