Clearance between bar and stanchion on 888

Is there a recommended minimum clearance between the handlebar and the top of the fork stanchions (Marz 888 in case it matters). I recently picked up a new bar and stem to put on it. The previous combo was a 65mm stem and a 1" rise bar. I moved to a slightly shorter stem and a 1/2" rise bar, and when I bolted them up, I discovered that the bar is really close to the top of the fork stanchions. Less than 1/2". This seems rather close, but maybe it's fine. Thoughts??

~1/2" is fine. If it was less than 3mm or so, I might start worrying about the bar flexing into the stanchions, although even that probably wouldn't be a huge problem. That said, it might be inconvenient if you need to adjust things on your top caps.

Just run it. If you see some marks on your bars after some hard riding, then try a different stem, throw a spacer under your top crown, or move your fork legs down.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 12-02-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Shouldn't be a problem. And if it isn't, you won't find out in a catastrophic way.

I looked again and it's actually more like 5 mm probably. Anyway, my thoughts were the same - run it, and check the bars periodically for marks.