Taos going to get hammered out of this?

Trying to make the call whether to drive down from SLC for the week.

Looks like a remaking of the december '07 storm...but i am very very far from even a weather novice.

Thoughts?

While I do think it will be good this weekend, I don't think it's going to be so awesome that it would warrant such a long drive. I'm in Los Alamos, and it's not even hinting of snow yet (8:00 A.M.). It sounds like Juarez will open, but I doubt much else from the ridge does. My 2¢.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyBearcats View Post
    While I do think it will be good this weekend, I don't think it's going to be so awesome that it would warrant such a long drive. I'm in Los Alamos, and it's not even hinting of snow yet (8:00 A.M.). It sounds like Juarez will open, but I doubt much else from the ridge does. My 2¢.
    I'd be happy with lower fronts and some upper steeps, sounds like long horn and lorlei is also a possiblity. As much as i'd love West B, I realize that is a dream at this point...made the drive a million times at this point, goes by quickly And the skiing in LCC right now is far from exciting. If I could guarantee 16"+ come saturday night, it's a no brainer...so that's the question....

And it looks like there may be more lined up for next week...

The word I got from a friend working at the valley is 14"+ and still dumping. Headed there tomorrow, but Monday could be ideal !

Quote Originally Posted by Kreinsmart View Post
    The word I got from a friend working at the valley is 14"+ and still dumping. Headed there tomorrow, but Monday could be ideal !
    Yesterday was awesome...today should be even better. Too bad they are closed tomorrow through Wednesday. 21" on the stake in kachina. There are spots off the ridge that are pushing 36" at this point I bet. Very localized depth variations.

Yesterday was pretty good at Taos. I did not think it would keep dumping or I might have gone today. But Pajarito should be good for a tour now.

If you have the end of this week open, I would go to Taos. I like the fact that almost the whole state is pink on NOAA right now.

I am heading down this weekend. Do you think they will be opening any new terrain for the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by MJbumper1121 View Post
    I am heading down this weekend. Do you think they will be opening any new terrain for the weekend?
    Patrol will be in tomorrow (no public, still closed), so they should have a good chance to control a lot of stuff. I would anticipate out through treskow again, as long as there aren't any crazy winds.

The early season unconsolidated snow is still pretty damn rotten, i think West B is a flip of the coin. I think it's going to slide to the ground in most spots, but if not, there's plenty of coverage. It could have been opened through wonder bowl last weekend if it weren't for the avi danger. We tried to get in there to footpack some stuff last weekend, but they nixed the idea.

^^ thanks. I can guarantee the conditions will beat the hell out of anything on the epic pass (the terrain already does! ha). I can't wait to get down there.

Quote Originally Posted by MJbumper1121 View Post
    ^^ thanks. I can guarantee the conditions will beat the hell out of anything on the epic pass (the terrain already does! ha). I can't wait to get down there.
    The conditions have already been absolutely killer for this early in the season. We could not see another inch of snow and it will be worth the drive. The forecast is looking great, and we could easily see 2 feet by Saturday.

I am heading down tomorrow after work and will be skiing a full day Saturday and half day Sunday. Who will be there?

Awesome blue bird day today. Got over to chair 4 as they opened some new terrain which was fun. The ridge had great coverage and full of soft snow. Can't wait to get after it again tomorrow.

Glad you had a sweet day, MJ. Please post an update after the next one.

I leave NOLA Christmas day for CO and will probably ski 27th at Loveland (unless attainable pow is in the forecast elsewhere, Taos perhaps included) and then CB 28th +/- 29th. Based on amount of terrain open, I'll probably have some wolf creek time (as long as it's at least chalky), and that's a good launching pad for taos...

Any input on conditions around then would be awesome. Having not skied at all this year, I don't really need neck-deep blower to make me happy (although I certainly wouldnt exactly complain). Some smooth, fast chalk (anything painless and edgeable, really) on some steep terrain--like w basin--would be just peachy.

It may take some convincing my comrades if that's the case, or else I'll be posting up again to bargain for a kind soul to refresh my brain on taos's splendor...

Cheers, y'all.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived