Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

It never ends; My kid got run over this weekend.

My 2 year old got run over on Saturday. Her third day on skis this year and already this happens. Every time I teach a new child and have to get on the beginer slopes, this happens. She is okay and still really excited and having fun, but let me make a plea to all of you. Slow down a bit on the greens. I would hate to have to live with hurting a child. I would be okay with going to jail if you hit my kid in a slow zone and hurt him or her.

Details. Merge area at PCMR of Turtle and payday. 50+ year old snow boarder. I was three feet behind her when he came in from beside us and clocked her from behind. He didn't even stop. I chased him down to the left line after picking her up and yelled at him a bunch. A bunch of other people started going after him and I left because I recognized I was out of control, and the situation was about to turn into a riot that would not end well for the any of us.

Anyway, venting here does no good. It is a weakness in me that I let these incidents ruin a good day. I just don't understand what type of person doesn't give beginers space. They are unpredictable just by the fact that they are a gapper.

We had an almost identical experience at PCMR over the weekend as well! Everything about that zone is problematic for little kids and beginners.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Good on you, for not kicking his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    M I would be okay with going to jail if you hit my kid in a slow zone and hurt him or her.
    +1 Glad your kiddo is ok.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Sucks to hear. Sounds like you handled that about as perfect as possible. Glad your kid is okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    If you're going to ski outside your abilities you need to have the decency to own up to your mistakes when you run someone over. Especially when it's a little kid. sorry to hear this happened.

My 2 year old got run over on Saturday. Her third day on skis this year and already this happens. Every time I teach a new child and have to get on the beginer slopes, this happens. She is okay and still really excited and having fun, but let me make a plea to all of you. Slow down a bit on the greens. I would hate to have to live with hurting a child. I would be okay with going to jail if you hit my kid in a slow zone and hurt him or her.

Details. Merge area at PCMR of Turtle and payday. 50+ year old snow boarder. I was three feet behind her when he came in from beside us and clocked her from behind. He didn't even stop. I chased him down to the left line after picking her up and yelled at him a bunch. A bunch of other people started going after him and I left because I recognized I was out of control, and the situation was about to turn into a riot that would not end well for the any of us.

Anyway, venting here does no good. It is a weakness in me that I let these incidents ruin a good day. I just don't understand what type of person doesn't give beginers space. They are unpredictable just by the fact that they are a gapper.
    uncalled for. at the very least as sincere apology was MANDATORY
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

A bunch of other people started going after him and I left because I recognized I was out of control, and the situation was about to turn into a riot that would not end well for the any of us.
    That would be tough to walk away. That sucks. My kid will hopefully be old enough to ski late next season, so these stories are good to read for education.

Worst part is the guy probably didn't even hear you because he was listening to his ipod.

It sounds like they need to clean up that section of hill. Maybe put in gates?
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

Personally I ski switch almost all the time on the green runs. Then I can watch the kids an coach them and I can also see who's coming down faster and communicate. I just make eye contact and say the word kids over and over and it does help as I rarely have collisions and ski w kids on the greens a lot. Good luck. Maybe just ban snowboarding.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I propose a new ski law: When somebody hits you, you get their gear. If they hit you really hard (or they hit your kid) you even get their boots. Walking through snow in socks would teach anybody a lesson.

+ 1 for banning snowboarding fucking retard's can't look before making a heelside turn I almost splatted one this weekend myself.

It's better not to commit a violent act in front of your child but it takes a lot of restraint. I'm impressed I would have tried to cut his head off.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

He was just trying to get down fast because he needed another latte. Cut the dude some slack.

Sorry that happened but glad the kid is OK.

My wife had a bad experience at the ski area years ago before we met, she got run over unloading at the top several times and said F'this. Just this year she is letting me take her back to the lift area to start over again. She has been touring for several years now. Fingers crossed.
    watch out for snakes

When my son was two to four years, I'd take him out with some pattern based skis so he could climb, hike and slide anywhere, even on our property. In Silverton, there is a town park that has a little cable lift. It's great for avoiding the crowds and expense of larger traffic areas and super low key and great for learning and safe mileage. Anything like that around PC?

When he got bigger, due to the head walls and blind spots at Purgatory along with their stupid funneling towards the base, I felt like all I was doing was running interference all day. It was higher risk than it was worth. I started taking him over to Telluride (2 hour drive) to minimize the risk. It was worth it on several levels, including quality time, the kid pass deal ($225) and superior terrain choice.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Total bummer.

To some extent, I think that's the cost of being around novice riders; you figure a novice with headphones in is pretty much the epitome of oblivious and dangerous.

I remember getting clocked a couple of times when I was really little... probably a great rationale for more snow fences in those areas...
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Good on you for keeping the red mist at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    He was just trying to get down fast because he needed another latte. Cut the dude some slack.
    Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    real class act
    So many kooks out there. Saw plenty of folks this past weekend going way too fast for their skill, considering the mixed crowd. Also saw about 10 meat wagons go down, and averaged watching three collisions each lift ride up. I know everyone is excited for the new season, but slow down people, and respect the fact that we need to share the hill.

Bummed to hear about this. I like SheRa's suggestion, especially if you can't get to a smaller/less crowded resort. I also try to get my god son (5) and his brother (3) to dress in bright colors, as do I. Slowly, the extended family is starting to look more like skittles. Hard to not see a bunch of obnoxiously bright folks skiing in a group. And it makes finding each other a lot easier.

We were out on the WROD this past weekend, and instead opted for the thin cover one run over. Better snow. Much less crowded. And we worked on dodging rocks and brush. And found a few jumps. As we merged back onto the groomer, we stopped, looked up hill and waited for a spot in between the mayhem. And even then, we stayed along the edge and made small tight turns.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    + 1 for banning snowboarding fucking retard's can't look before making a heelside turn I almost splatted one this weekend myself.

It's better not to commit a violent act in front of your child but it takes a lot of restraint. I'm impressed I would have tried to cut his head off.
    If you're not joking, go fuck yourself.

Anybody bother to think that the boarder is probably a beginner also?

The other day i was almost taken out by an 8 year old girl straightlining down snoqualmie. I turned out of her way at the last second. Should I have cut her head off (or her parents).

You guys all need to chill the fuck out, and realize that all beginners need to be given some slack.

Also, trying to make this in to a skier / snowboarder thing is fucking stupid, and makes those that are doing that look like huge fuckwads.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Sorry that happened but glad the kid is OK.

My wife had a bad experience at the ski area years ago before we met, she got run over unloading at the top several times and said F'this. Just this year she is letting me take her back to the lift area to start over again. She has been touring for several years now. Fingers crossed.
    This time try teaching her to get out of the way of the unloading ramp. Snowboarders (especially beginners) have no control getting off the lift. This is just the way it is. You can bitch about or you can get out of the way. My friend is working really hard at not falling when she gets off the lift, but when some idiot (usually a skier) is just standing there she has no option other than intentionally falling or running in to the person. So, please, tell you wife to move away from the unload area quickly.

The whole process would be a lot easier if everyone would accept and understand that beginners don't have the same skills that we do, and instead of bitching about it, try and accommodate the beginners so that they don't get hurt.

I just love it when beginner skiers/snowboards/ cut straight across the hill from a stop, without looking uphill first. Fucking assholes need to be banned from life.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

glad to not read about a tragic incident on the hill. my boy was sideswiped 2 seasons ago and i went apeshit on dude, frothing at the mouth pyissed in his grill freakin my wife out mad. fella made his exit tail between legs headphones dragging behind him scared. damn crazy how psycho a person can get when the fruit of his loins gets jacked. needless to say, my boy was pumped from the whole incident, my wife pissed.
    bobbyf

remember this guy?

Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

glad the kid is fine. we were out on limited trails and unlimited people conditions this weekend and several times commented that it was risky to have small kids out there. I am in no way questioning your judgment or victim blaming, but it can be extra dangerous this time of year. again, glad your kid is ok.

Details. Merge area at PCMR of Turtle and payday. 50+ year old snow boarder. I was three feet behind her when he came in from beside us and clocked her from behind. He didn't even stop.
    like others have said, props for your restraint. the fact that he just kept trucking along without stopping and owning up to it would have incensed me beyond rational thought.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    This time try teaching her to get out of the way of the unloading ramp. Snowboarders (especially beginners)
    Gotta agree. Onus is on the both lift op and those teaching the newbs to stress how important it is to get fully out of the way of the off loading. All about sharing the hill here.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    glad to not read about a tragic incident on the hill. my boy was sideswiped 2 seasons ago and i went apeshit on dude, frothing at the mouth pyissed in his grill freakin my wife out mad. fella made his exit tail between legs headphones dragging behind him scared. damn crazy how psycho a person can get when the fruit of his loins gets jacked. needless to say, my boy was pumped from the whole incident, my wife pissed.
    bobbyf
    Like Bobby, i am a pretty mellow dood 99% of the time, but fuck, if someone does something that can endanger my offspring, you'd better be prepared for the primal instincts that ensue. I draw a big line between an honest accident + being apologetic and reckless indifference, which your story seems to reek of.
    Last edited by SeatownSlackey; 11-28-2011 at 11:48 PM.