Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just suffered through a kidney stone

I've read old threads where you rough and tumble guys have cried through passing a stone, here I am, a girl, who just went through it. It was awful. I was in the ER for about 12 hours or so, I had to have dilauded every hour.

Worst part is the aftermath. In all the writhing and tensing, I managed to throw out a disc, pinch a nerve, and have major muscle and nerve trauma from the sciatic on down through the thigh. Just looking for a little hand holding here, I guess. sigh.

Can't empathize, but can sympathize. I've heard it's one of the most painful things to go through. Glad you emerged on the other side in one piece. Everything else in life will seem like a cake walk now.

Damn, that sounds rough. A co-worker passed one and he said it was the most pain he'd ever experienced. At least it's early enough in the season to have the maladies heal.

Sorry to hear that, YC. Virtual hand extended. My gf mixes essential oils and I put essential oil of lemon in my water to prevent that. Supposedly it helps dissolve stones before they form and also cleanses the liver. Tastes nice, too.

Bad news is you probably have more. At least that was my experience, I passed 3 in one year, none since

I have had one and it was the worst. But the dilauded was the bomb...I was ready to go back to work.

Hang in there and we'll hope it was the only one ever!

How do you know if you have one or does it just hurt like hell one day when you pee?

I've yet to have that happen, I hope it never does. I am interested to know if it hurts worse than shingles. I've heard its about the same, and I feel really for anyone who goes through that shit. I have also heard its worse than childbirth.

I do love dilauded. Holy awesomeness.

I hope things heal up fast for you.
    I was skiing at Alpental one night and felt the need to pee but couldn't. And couldn't, and couldn't. It was pretty horrible feeling like I was going to explode. I drove down to an ER in Bellevue on my way back to Bellingham and they gave me something to keep me from feeling like I had to go. On the way home I stopped at a rest area and passed the stone. It hurt, yes it did. But it felt soooo gooood after.
    I like splat's oil of lemon idea.
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

Sounds awful. I passed a small stone a number of years ago. Didn't have nearly that much pain. Although while the stone was moving through the urinary tract area, it often felt like somebody was hitting me with a baseball bat, repeatedly and often. Fortunately I haven't had any more stones.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The stone sounds bad enough, but to add nerve pain is horrible. Hopefully, it will receed quickly with no long term after effects. With all nerve pain problems my wife has, I've gotten pretty good at hand holding. There, there, it'll be alright.

The main pain I had was it moving through/rubbing up against the kidney wall. That was brutal. Once it was moving through urinary tract and then out, there was discomfort but not like when it was in the kidney itself.

freaking ow. Heal quick YC-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

not fun. my wife had one and it did not pass. they had to go get it. it was right after our first child and she had been on prenatal vitamins...actually i think she still was for breastfeeding. anyway, it was definitely linked to that...calcium...as she was eating super healthy with whole foods, dairy, etc which added to it.

she has never had another one thankfully. i wish that for you also.

she also has had back issues...disc. unfortunately, she had to have surgery even though our Dr is set against it typically. the good news...she runs 3-4 times a week and works out to p90x or equal daily. stay possitive!

doughboyshredder Guest
    one of the most painful experiences of my life. I hope to never have to repeat it.

I have passed 4 in my time and they all sucked. Worst pain is working through the kidney but I didn't cry. Then again there was always lots of pharmy's and booze involved. Like ZZZ said , when you have one another is likely. @Crampedon - You most likely will have pain in the kidney area and not be able to piss if you have a bigun (stone that is)

A good friend of mine said it was so painful he was begging his Brother in law (who was the first on the scene) to kill him.

Staying well hydrated is supposed to help prevent them. Drink more water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    what happened to Shadam this year? Usually by now he is posting drinking reports daily.

I drink tons and tons of water (high Ph), so that's covered. I'm on my second prescription of Percocet, and I've never been a pill popper (actually never understood pills). The aftermath pain is so bad it's stupid. The low disc problem is radiating down my leg, feels like someone stuck a knife in my thigh and left it there, dangling. All this because I kept pushing the wall with my foot when the stone would strike, while twisted on the bed sideways, and managed to tear and pull muscles and nerves, and slip discs. My legs are strong, I bet I could have pushed the wall down with another hour.

Thanks for the hand holding, guys. It helps. It really does

It took me a month to pass a 4mm one. Carried this like goldfish net-like thing around for a month to catch it and determine make-up to help diagnose cause. I could feel it making its way day by day and this one morning on a job site I couldn't make it back to the truck to retrieve my net, popped into a porta-potty and sure enough, felt it go. I was relieved but strangely disappointed not catching it. 5 years ago and no repeats so far.
    There is no shame of ANY crying or otherwise embarassing actions in the throes of a stone.
    Vibes for a speedy passage.

feel better! (and nice to see you still post here, I guess)
    For some reason, I've never heard of girls getting them, but it makes sense.
    Only thing I ever saw incapacitate my father. (for a day)
    No kidding.
    He got over colon cancer in a week.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Can't they just pulverize them with ultrasound?

I'm not sure where this thread went astray, but I passed the thing in a day. It's what I did to my nerves, muscles and disc that's a mess now.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Can't they just pulverize them with ultrasound?
    I had this done with lythotrypsy (sp?) about 6-7 years ago, followed with a stent in me for 2 weeks of sheer agony.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    I hope things heal up fast for you.
    I was skiing at Alpental one night and felt the need to pee but couldn't. And couldn't, and couldn't. It was pretty horrible feeling like I was going to explode. I drove down to an ER in Bellevue on my way back to Bellingham and they gave me something to keep me from feeling like I had to go. On the way home I stopped at a rest area and passed the stone. It hurt, yes it did. But it felt soooo gooood after.
    I like splat's oil of lemon idea.
    That sounds like when one removes a splinter. Splinters hurt like hell...even the smallest ones....but then once you finally remove it (even if you'd had to have to dig out loads of flesh to get at it!), it's just a feeling of a release from pain that almost feels orgasmic. Not that the pain is even CLOSE to passing a stone, and certainly nothing like childbirth.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Ask your doc for Toradol injection to keep at home for the next time. Its not narcotic so they are more likely to give it to you,and it works (and saves $$$$ in ER bills)

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14