Page 117 of 275 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 6863
    fill holes with a quality epoxy (not 5 minute) and you're much better off than those plastic plugs that don't do shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    fill holes with a quality epoxy (not 5 minute) and you're much better off than those plastic plugs that don't do shit.
    Ok next time... Plastic plugs came with the wintersteiger drill bits

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    I find it tough to get epoxy in the holes to completely fill them... it's tough to know whether you have an air bubble in there or not.

The plastic plugs (installed with epoxy) at least keep water out. I use them as long as the holes are sufficiently far from the new holes I want to drill I count on the ski being strong enough.

For closer hole spacing hardwood dowels.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

What’s the problem w/ plastic plugs? Lack of structural resistance?

I’ve always put in plastic plugs w/ titebond III

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I find it tough to get epoxy in the holes to completely fill them... it's tough to know whether you have an air bubble in there or not.
    1ml Plastic Disposable Graduated Transfer Pipettes Pack of 100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CHK1PLX..._DRA0Db1TM4ZD8

I mix a little sawdust in with the epoxy. Having some solid chucks in there makes it a lot easier to poke it down in the holes, and I think that in theory it might be a little stronger if I have to drill overlapping holes with some fibrous stuff in there too. No real data on that second point though.

What’s a proper epoxy? Maybe two suggestions: short and long cure? Unless no real benefit to long..

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    What’s a proper epoxy? Maybe two suggestions: short and long cure? Unless no real benefit to long..
    In my experience quick set epoxy tends to be more brittle. Long set tends to have better elasticity.

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    In my experience quick set epoxy tends to be more brittle. Long set tends to have better elasticity.
    K thx. Most all brands equal? Anybody have a strong feeling for a certain one?

K thx. Most all brands equal? Anybody have a strong feeling for a certain one?
    West System G-Flex

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    1ml Plastic Disposable Graduated Transfer Pipettes Pack of 100 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CHK1PLX..._DRA0Db1TM4ZD8
    Yup, though I get a box of 100 10cc syringes and plastic luer-lock tips. [I actually also have 3cc ones too - which I use depends on what I'm trying to do. But the 10cc ones get a lot more use.]

I would have a hard time pulling epoxy into the pipette. Especially when I use wood flour if I want to increase viscosity/fill.

https://www.amazon.com/a13042200ux03...s%2C191&sr=8-4

I use syringes for quite a few other things too, so while a box of 100 will last me decades, they're always super handy to have around.

I've used West System slow cure or T-88 from System 3. [I mostly use T-88, since it's what I'm most familiar with, and what's handy and open in the garage.] I don't recall what sizes mine were to start, though I'd guess 16oz of each hardener/resin. 4oz will last you forever, unless you do a lot of big glue-ups. For ski work, I usually mix 1-2 grams each of hardener/resin.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    West System G-Flex
    Copy that. 2nd to suggest this one. Thanks!Ordering with ^ above transfers.
    gregL- how would you most confidently fill a close hole?

gregL- how would you most confidently fill a close hole?
    I would ram some fine steel wool in the hole and use a syringe to fill with epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Yup, though I get a box of 100 10cc syringes and plastic luer-lock tips. [I actually also have 3cc ones too - which I use depends on what I'm trying to do. But the 10cc ones get a lot more use.]

I would have a hard time pulling epoxy into the pipette. Especially when I use wood flour if I want to increase viscosity/fill.

https://www.amazon.com/a13042200ux03...s%2C191&sr=8-4

I use syringes for quite a few other things too, so while a box of 100 will last me decades, they're always super handy to have around.

I've used West System slow cure or T-88 from System 3. [I mostly use T-88, since it's what I'm most familiar with, and what's handy and open in the garage.] I don't recall what sizes mine were to start, though I'd guess 16oz of each hardener/resin. 4oz will last you forever, unless you do a lot of big glue-ups. For ski work, I usually mix 1-2 grams each of hardener/resin.
    Oh, actually I use 3cc pipettes, not 1cc. Was too lazy to go look.

I use syringes with metal pinhead dispensers for delams, just because they’re skinnier. Maybe a little stronger, but they pull out if they get pinched.

Same here. I have practically a lifetime supply from some previous hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    I bought syringes years ago (and never used them) with exactly that I mind but I found the g-flex too thick to flow through it.

Maybe I just need to warm it up first?

Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I bought syringes years ago (and never used them) with exactly that I mind but I found the g-flex too thick to flow through it.

Maybe I just need to warm it up first?

I work at room temperature. It takes a minute or so to draw the G-Flex into the pipette, but I’ve never had it be too thick. I guess some pipettes could be flimsier than others?

The plastic tips make all the difference. Small gauge needles won't cut it with epoxy. [I've tried! ]
    The plastic tips can be trimmed too, to have a larger opening.

Oh, and even then, I don't *pull* the epoxy into the syringe - it's possible that would work if it were warm, but mine never is. I mix on a small piece of paper or cardboard, then use the mixing toothpick to swirl a bunch onto the toothpick. I then roll off in the open end/barrel of the 10cc syringe - repeat until all the material is transferred. Even if I do 3-4cc of material, I can still load the syringe this way. Then slide the plunger in and purge the air.

How are people extracting plastic plugs? Mine set by melamine base glue. Have tried a screw with mixed results.. maybe I’m doing it wrong

drywall screw
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

How are people extracting plastic plugs? Mine set by melamine base glue. Have tried a screw with mixed results.. maybe I’m doing it wrong
    Drill it out with your stepped ski mounting bit. Most of them will just spin out.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Thanks gents
    ETA: tried screw again first. I just wasn’t penetrating enough prior. Had good luck with 7-8 driver twists and some screw manipulation in each direction while at depth.
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 11-17-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    The plastic tips make all the difference. Small gauge needles won't cut it with epoxy. [I've tried! ]
    The plastic tips can be trimmed too, to have a larger opening.

Oh, and even then, I don't *pull* the epoxy into the syringe - it's possible that would work if it were warm, but mine never is. I mix on a small piece of paper or cardboard, then use the mixing toothpick to swirl a bunch onto the toothpick. I then roll off in the open end/barrel of the 10cc syringe - repeat until all the material is transferred. Even if I do 3-4cc of material, I can still load the syringe this way. Then slide the plunger in and purge the air.
    I use these 14 gauge steel needles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N562BFP..._vvF0DbHV8T8PG

jesus christ put your tiny dicks in there
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

and if it really matters use Hardman machinable epoxy and buy it from SlideWrite
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

For binding mounts, it doesn’t. Unless a ski has carbon i use waterproof wood glue. If carbon, 5 minute work time epoxy.
    If on a delam, locktite marine epoxy since it remains pliable as to flex with the ski. G flex is good if you have it around, if not then the marine works fine.
    I also fill the old holes with epoxy and golf tees if having to mount close to existing, if not then the plastic pound ins with some epoxy works just fine. I use a tooth pick to burp the holes if need be. Never had an issue in all my mounts over what, 20 plus years if mounting my own shit.