Page 68 of 274 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 6843
    Quote Originally Posted by Aus George View Post
    After cleaning up the volcano's with knife/chisel should I slightly countersink the holes to prevent more volcanoing?
    If done with a utility knife at a 45 degree angle into the hole there's no need for further countersinking.

Ah, not just cutting off flush. Got it

Name:  metal-countersinks-1733.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  10.0 KB

Help me tech jongs!

In your experience what would you do?
    I was nervous as hell my first two mounts. Most of my concerns were unfounded. You probably did a better job than most shops. Sounds like they are fine - just ski them.

If you want to remove the bindings and cleanup the volcanoes:

0) Open beer
    1) Heat up the screws with a soldering iron for a few seconds to soften up the epoxy and they will come right out

I have a beater pair of the OG Armada ARGs which have demo bindings on them now for friends and family to use if they dont have pow skis. I want to get my lady friend out for a tour this weekend but dont want to kill her skis on all the rocks we will hit, so i was thinking about just ripping the F12s off her skis and throwing them on the ARGs for the weekend, and then swapping the demo bindings back on in a few weeks.

Id like to not have to plug the demo binding holes and then redrill them... so i was thinking about just throwing some duct tape over the holes to prevent water from getting in haha. how horrible of an idea is that?

Also, how man times do you all think it is smart to rip bindings off and then reuse the same holes... basically treating the holes as inserts, without the inserts.

Hi all! This is a great forum and reading it has already given me the confidence and knowledge to mount my friend's fucking skis, and I'll be mounting my own with BF inserts when the skis arrive.

Question though - I'm in Canada (Calgary) and even though the prices from Binding Freedom are very reasonable and I've ordered a few things from there already, if I just need to order some machine screws for different bindings it can get very cost-inefficient to order from there once you account for shipping.

Does anyone know a good store to get the right machine screws from? If there is a Canadian store selling ski specific stuff that would be perfect, but would even just a hardware store sell these?

Thanks!

Help me tech jongs!

Mounted some Marker F12's on some skis (first mount) with some help from a mate who has literally mounted 100's of skis. His knowledge was great however he was busy at the time and seems pretty relaxed about things, where I am more of a perfectionist... Long story short, I/we didn't countersink the holes (I didn't know you had too) and they have all slightly volcanoed. Only 1mm-0.5mm however you can see the gap if you look closely enough. The skis have no metal and I also suspect I/we over tightened them a bit but I have no idea (first ever mount). We also just used wood glue and on further research here I will use epoxy in the future. He said to just leave them as is and see how they ski, not to remount and fix the lifting bindings as we have a really good purchase right now in the wood. Well I did tour/ski them and got home and could see water drops under the binding. Also all the wood glue has gone white. Now my worry is they will eventually rust.

My thoughts were to remove the bindings, countersink/chisel the holes then use helicoils. I am a mechanic by trade and realise that helicoiling, while a lot of work (doesn't bother me) should in theory really pull the bindings down without volcanoing. I would also use epoxy in the whole installation. I am aware you will probable never be able to remove the bindings with this method, however that is not an issue for me as I want to set and forget.

I know the easy option is to remove the bindings clean up the volcano's then just remount. The issue is one of the plates for the heel, we wound the screws in and out about 3 times as it vocanoed really bad, then on my mates advice just left it as is cause we didn't want to loose too much purchase. Like I said he is pretty casual about it all which is why I will do all my mounts myself in the future.

I think I will also drill out the screw holes on the bindings to ensure its not those plastic tabs causing the issue.
    Sorry but your buddy kinda f'd you over. What you should really do is remove the bindings and install inserts not helicoils. Go to bindingfreedom.com and purchase inserts, insert install kit, screw kit for your clamps, epoxy, and vibra-tite (locktite for the screws that doesn't melt plastic) and you will easily be able to re-mount with inserts. It will cost you some $$$ but you will have the most bomber mount and will also be able to remove your bindings at will for travel, etc. You will also be all set to mount any other skis with inserts from the get go (as god intended).

Help me tech jongs!
    Only 1mm-0.5mm however you can see the gap if you look closely enough. The skis have no metal and I also suspect I/we over tightened them a bit but I have no idea (first ever mount). We also just used wood glue and on further research here I will use epoxy in the future. He said to just leave them as is and see how they ski, not to remount and fix the lifting bindings as we have a really good purchase right now in the wood. Well I did tour/ski them and got home and could see water drops under the binding. Also all the wood glue has gone white. Now my worry is they will eventually rust.

Never been in your situation - but here's what I'd do.
    Pull and countersink.
    Use epoxy [and perhaps some filler, plastic spheres or wood "flour" mixed in the epoxy].
    [Edit: I realized I didn't say this - but I usually use a syringe with ~12ga tips to put epoxy in the hole and smear on the vertical surfaces. Toothpicks work too, but it's more fiddly, and messy. Don't fill them clear up - perhaps 1/4-1/3.]
    Remount with regular screws.
    [Go easy, while tightening the screws - especially on anything that seems dodgy.]
    Ski em and see how it goes.

If that has problems, then use BindingFreedom or QuiverKillers as the "fix."
    My guess is you won't have any issues with an epoxy re-mount. [Especially if you're a mere mortal, and not cliff bombing huge airs etc.]

Looks like you're likely NZ/Aus - so I'm not sure how easily QK/BF inserts will be to find and what the cost will be - so I'd lean toward a re-mount until you have to do something "better."

If you were near me, I'd say come on by and I've got all the tools to do the BF inserts and you'd be set, cheap-ish. Perhaps you have someone you can lean on locally...

Good luck.
    -Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Name:  metal-countersinks-1733.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  10.0 KB
    I'll probably get one of these as I need the proper stepped drill bit for my other ski mounts. Better than doing it with a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Sorry but your buddy kinda f'd you over.
    Yep, agreed! So inserts > helicoils?

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Good luck.
    -Greg
    Thanks for the offer, but yeah located down under. I do live in a ski town so have access to mounting stuffs... Good tip with the expoy syringe!

Consensus all seems the same. Pull and standard remount, give it a shot atleast. What can possibly go wrong?

So inserts > helicoils?

Yes, because (among other reasons) they keep water out.

Why risk damage to a $$$ ski for the price of a $ stepped bit?

Many/most stepped bits are flared at the top and will countersink the hole to eliminate "volcanos".

Just use the right tool for the job.

Some of you shouldn't be allowed to use power tools but you can just rotate a 3/8th inch bit by hand on a hole or even after you volcano'ed it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Remounting all my sticks with BF inserts for STH. One step closer to the one boot, one (alpine) binding quiver. Still undecided on inserts for my touring skis. Finished with the BGs and SNs. 50% through the Bonafide and just waiting on more inserts to show up in the mail. Installing the inserts was a lot easier than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Some of you shouldn't be allowed to use power tools
    QFT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how many times can you rip and remount bindings into the existing holes without totally fucking them up?

what does " rip " mean?

slow set and chopped up FG filler has let me reuse holes

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what does " rip " mean?

slow set and chopped up FG filler has let me reuse holes
    I mean unscrewing the binding from the ski, deftly and carefully. I prefer to use brobrah terms whenever possible.

Do you mean, fill the hole with slow set epoxy, and then redrill the hole? or just use the slowset when re-screwing in the bindings?

Mix fiberglass with epoxy. Stuff into holes. Mount binding. Let cure. Snug up binding screws in the morning. Tada.

Yup, slow set 2 part epoxy for previously used holes and if the holes are damaged at all chop up FG into 1/2" strands, mix with 2 part and cram it into the screw hole, let cure for 24 hrs

Thanks for all the help, TGR can be a good place haha.

Gonna use quiverkiller on my skis, they look bomber. Do you need to countersink for the inserts? I will have to anyway due to the already volcanos, but for future reference.

Do you need to countersink for the inserts? I will have to anyway due to the already volcanos, but for future reference.
    Unless the volcano is huge, the larger drill for BF/QK should remove the raised portion. I don't recall ever really countersinking any...I might have chamfered the edge slightly, just to remove any snaggy bits of top sheet etc...

Popped my cherry and mounted my own fucking skis. Got jiggy with it on Pivots, but still..
    Seems like a gateway to moar skis which didn’t require any additional motivation.
    Had a minor snafu then a vet mag provided some guidance. Thanks dude!
    I’d mention him but then y’all might bombard him with your questions.
    Getting close around here for inbounds..

Name:  mounts.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  94.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Popped my cherry and mounted my own fucking skis. Got jiggy with it on Pivots, but still..
    Seems like a gateway to moar skis which didn’t require any additional motivation.
    Had a minor snafu then a vet mag provided some guidance. Thanks dude!
    I’d mention him but then y’all might bombard him with your questions.
    Getting close around here for inbounds..

Name:  mounts.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  94.2 KB
    Have any issues with the heel pieces? The yellow looks pretty rad

The heels are a little more challenging but great advice here in the thread explains it well and correctly. After you have ski on elevated surface allowing brakes to be free. Snug up front two screws, then put on brake band to get the rears snug. Then full tight on front, then back. That's what I did anyway..

So I installed inserts on all of my skis no problems, and got started on my wife’s. Of course I messed it up. One of the inserts went too deep and dimpled (tittied, whichever term you prefer) the base. To make it worse, after a few beers last night, I told her I messed up the install - the response was as expected. I laughed, and you can imagine how the rest played out.

I tried the paper test - cut a hole in the paper around the dimple and laid a ruler on it. There’s between .5-1mm of wobble.

Any recommendations?

Opinions I’m considering:
    - back out the insert, heat dimple, bang the shit out of it, reinstall insert
    - same as above but with helicoil (is this necessary)?
    - leave as is and base grind

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums