Page 73 of 275 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 6863
    Anybody mount Vist plates? I presume the center grey piece

Goes on boot center.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Last night's project. Xmas came early, too bad UT isn't exactly buried right now...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171208_144446.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	218337

Hey forum jongs... I got a new pair of skis for my mum for Xmas (I know I'm the best, right?) Volkl Kenja's. Anyway as it's summer here all the good techs are gone so the shop said I can use their jig and do it myself, however they dont have any tools. I am yet to get my own (next years project) but was able to borrow the right drill bit 4.1 x 9.5 and I already have a contersinking bit, but cant find a tap anywhere. Question is, if I really pressure the screws down on the first few turns will I REALLY need to tap them? I know I SHOULD but the metal in the Kenjas seems like fuck all anyway and I'm set on having them all done for Christmas. Mounting them with pivots too as she lost her right ACL this last season and it was my recommendation even though people say you cant make that claim, I say fuck em!

4.1x9.5 already has countersink. Not tapping has the potential for delam as the metal will want to climb the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    4.1x9.5 already has countersink
    My 4.1mm x 9.5mm bit has a shoulder, not a countersink. Also, trimming around the ID of the drill hole is chamfering, which is different than countersinking.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Not tapping has the potential for delam as the metal will want to climb the threads.
    Yup -- volcanoes happen when you don't tap metal top sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    My 4.1mm x 9.5mm bit has a shoulder, not a countersink. Also, trimming around the ID of the drill hole is chamfering, which is different than countersinking.
    Yep, some bits have a flat collar, some have a slight chamfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    . . . .some have a slight chamfer.
    Yeah, I've used those too. And yeah, chamfer not countersink.

Le sigh...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171210_080729.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	574.5 KB 
ID:	218426

Now that that's put to rest can we get back to the real question. I definitely SHOULDN'T, no chance in hell mount with no tap?

I suppose there are some good reasons for tapping. However I've never tapped for binding screws, titanal layers or not, and have yet to get delammed layers or other problems compromising the install. But I do keep good pressure on the screwdriver (manual, I don't use machine for my limited number of hobby installs) as the screws go in, especially the first two or so turns until the threads are thoroughly engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post

Yup -- volcanoes happen when you don't tap metal top sheets.
    Yes, it is a shoulder or step. This shoulder or step does create a countersink. This countersinks purpose is to mitigate volcanoes on ANY topsheet.
    I've never used or seen a binding mounting specific drill bit without this feature

Bought our Granddaughter a new pair of Moment 136 Carson's for Christmas, she outgrew her 115 Carsons. She is eight so I thought it was time for her to drill the holes, put the glue in the holes and put the screws in, she's earning her turns. Her dad and I supervised, made sure the Jiga-Rex was centered and helped her along the way, she thought it was pretty cool. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carson mount.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	868.6 KB 
ID:	218435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carson done.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	950.9 KB 
ID:	218436

That's how to raise 'em. Win!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Aus George View Post
    Hey forum jongs... I got a new pair of skis for my mum for Xmas (I know I'm the best, right?) Volkl Kenja's. Anyway as it's summer here all the good techs are gone so the shop said I can use their jig and do it myself, however they dont have any tools. I am yet to get my own (next years project) but was able to borrow the right drill bit 4.1 x 9.5 and I already have a contersinking bit, but cant find a tap anywhere. Question is, if I really pressure the screws down on the first few turns will I REALLY need to tap them?
    Tapping is "better" but it's certainly possible to do without tapping. Did me own Bodacious' last year without a tap. Line Influence too. [Both with metal, and lots of it.] In both cases, I carefully threaded the holes with one of the screws *before* dropping the bindings on and cranking them down.

It's a little hard on the screw, and almost certainly dulls the threads substantially. But, IMO, if you're careful, a tap isn't required. [I have one now, and it's certainly easier with one.]

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Tapping is "better" but it's certainly possible to do without tapping. Did me own Bodacious' last year without a tap. Line Influence too. [Both with metal, and lots of it.] In both cases, I carefully threaded the holes with one of the screws *before* dropping the bindings on and cranking them down.

It's a little hard on the screw, and almost certainly dulls the threads substantially. But, IMO, if you're careful, a tap isn't required. [I have one now, and it's certainly easier with one.]

-Greg
    Awesome, I can do it with a spare screw before hand! Thanks mag

For fucks sake just buy a tap for $20 instead of fucking up $500 dollar Skis (or more)

http://www.tognar.com/12ab-ski-tap-metal-top-sheet/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Name:	IMG_20171206_134929345.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	218475
    Mounted these with 4.1 bit and #12 tap and countersink drill bit. everything went smooth thanks to this thread and all the mags.

Andrew

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Bought our Granddaughter a new pair of Moment 136 Carson's for Christmas, she outgrew her 115 Carsons. She is eight so I thought it was time for her to drill the holes, put the glue in the holes and put the screws in, she's earning her turns. Her dad and I supervised, made sure the Jiga-Rex was centered and helped her along the way, she thought it was pretty cool. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carson mount.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	868.6 KB 
ID:	218435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carson done.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	950.9 KB 
ID:	218436
    odouls? or cbd gummies
    strong work
    had a few mags drop by the man cave and the fuggies got his dynasoliplates on his goats
    and the cat o fu mounted up some low tide sticks

dug out some lhasa's and swapped out dyna toes
    one spinner and a helicoil led to 2
    at that point fuck it all five of you toe hole bitches are gettin coiled
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Bandit Jr wanted to mount up his new Pettitor 120’s tonight so I let him, with a little oversight...

In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    . . . how old till any youz let em mount freehand?
    I think Q is old enough, let him start mounting on some old skis or 2x4's now before he drills new ones. The new grandson at our place is still a little wet behind the ears, but he's a keen observer . . .

Name:	apprentice.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	455.7 KB 
ID:	218577

SFB, she enjoyed a Root Beer and Twizzlers...

Binding Freedom Inserts in Kastle FX104

I found a deal on a pair of FX104 and grabbed them with the intention of putting in some Binding Freedom inserts. I think they are the 2015 model if it matters. They have a sticker on there about not meeting ISO and needing to use a shorter drill bit and and binding screws (I think it says to use only a 4.1mm x 7.5mm bit and screws that insert 6mm, but I'll have to verify later). The BF inserts are 9.5mm deep so they don't work out of the box. I asked BF if the inserts could still be used with these skis if I ground them down a couple of millimeters to fit in the shallower drill hole. They didn't recommend because they had never tested it, but thought it could be possible. BF says the ideal is about 5mm of thread grab for the inserts.

A few questions:

1. Has anyone tried this?
    2. Why does Kastle recommend a 7.5mm hole but only recommends inserting the screws 6mm? Are you supposed to leave a 1.5mm of hollow space beneath the screw? Seems like I'd want to put the insert all the way to the bottom of the hole.
    3. If the insert goes in 6mm, it should allow for 1mm of excess metal at the bottom of the insert and still have the 5mm of thread grab. If the insert goes all the way to the bottom of the 7.5mm hole, it would allow 2.5mm of excess metal at the bottom of the insert. Am I missing something here or is that the right calculation?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lab View Post
    I found a deal on a pair of FX104 and grabbed them with the intention of putting in some Binding Freedom inserts. I think they are the 2015 model if it matters. They have a sticker on there about not meeting ISO and needing to use a shorter drill bit and and binding screws (I think it says to use only a 4.1mm x 7.5mm bit and screws that insert 6mm, but I'll have to verify later). The BF inserts are 9.5mm deep so they don't work out of the box. I asked BF if the inserts could still be used with these skis if I ground them down a couple of millimeters to fit in the shallower drill hole. They didn't recommend because they had never tested it, but thought it could be possible. BF says the ideal is about 5mm of thread grab for the inserts.

A few questions:

2. Why does Kastle recommend a 7.5mm hole but only recommends inserting the screws 6mm? Are you supposed to leave a 1.5mm of hollow space beneath the screw? Seems like I'd want to put the insert all the way to the bottom of the hole.
    3. If the insert goes in 6mm, it should allow for 1mm of excess metal at the bottom of the insert and still have the 5mm of thread grab. If the insert goes all the way to the bottom of the 7.5mm hole, it would allow 2.5mm of excess metal at the bottom of the insert. Am I missing something here or is that the right calculation?

Thanks.
    Different materials and fasteners = different requirements.

Alpine screws:
    "The minimum depth for a screw for a binding mount is 6mm/1/4"."

BF Inserts:
    "Fasteners should protrude 4mm MIN and 6mm MAX into a threaded insert."

If you grind off the tip of an insert to say 7mm, epoxy should seal the end.

Maybe you should perform an alpine mount first, test drive, then install inserts if the need still exists.

What's the actual ski thickness in the mounting zone?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lab View Post
    A few questions:

So, yeah - I've actually put BF inserts in a FX104. I think it was a 13-14 one - I believe it had early rise - probably a year or two before they quit making the FX104. But I doubt that there is any significant difference between any of the FX104's in terms of depth and mount details.

Nothing unusual about the ones I mounted - just did everything using the BF shouldered bit and inserted the BF inserts to flush with the top-sheet. [Which also seemed to put them very close to the bottom of the hole. I only kept the skis one year, and I found them, used, and _super_ cheap at <$150 including bindings and shipping - so I wasn't too worried about screwing them up. [Ignorance is bliss, eh!?] I really liked them a lot - and while I like what I've got now better, I'm almost sad to have let them go.

If it were me, I'd drill one hole, tap and dry fit an insert - my guess is it will be completely unremarkable and it will be bog standard.

I installed inserts in 1st gen FX94s without issues that I recall.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

^^^ BTW, in case there is a question. No, I didn't dimple the bases. Also, I ski with the new owner, and they're still just fine after two+ seasons. Perhaps the newer ones are different, but that seems really unlikely to me.