Page 142 of 149 FirstFirst ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 3716
    Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    Anyone got advice for mounting pin bindings? I've mounted up a handful of pivots and aaatacks without much trouble. But someone at a shop was telling me about how much trickier pin bindings are—something about how being just a bit misaligned can cause pre-releases. Got me a bit worried, but this thread has been a wealth of info.

I use paper templates and a drill (though it's possible I could get access to a drill press if I have to). Looking to mount up a pair of dynafit rotations.
    You can use a template or not but first figure out where fore/aft to mount the heel and put it at dead center, then mount the toe dead center by ONE screw only, allow the toe to VERY slightly rotate around that 1 screw, mark/drill all the rest of the toe piece screws with the boot locked into ski mode and everything should line up perfectly

this will ^^ work for any frame type AT binding where you mount the heel and toe independently but they need to lineup/mesh perfectly
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

@xxx -er's advice is the way to go (heel first, one toe screw at a time), irrespective of whether or not you use a template.

For toe holes #2-4, I've taken to using a larger drill bit (as close to a perfect fit in the toe piece holes) to "centerpunch" the holes. I drill very carefully - just enough to create a dimple.

For inserts, I've taken to screwing in the binding while the epoxy is setting (remove afterwards for inspection and Vibra-tite). It helps straighten any minor tilting during insertion.

I was always concerned that some epoxy would seep into the threads (overflow), but with care, this won't happen.

Even if you use a tap guide, you can still tilt the inserts a bit when installing them. I use the double lock nut on a screw technique to install them, even though I use BF inserts with the screw slot. It helps minimize tilt in comparison with starting the insert off with the BF tool or straight-bladed screwdriver.

I finish off with a screwdriver (blade ground "fat" to widen it for a good fit) to get the insert 1/3 to 1/2 turn below the top sheet level.

Then ... there's the end mill approach if you own one ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-10-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I fix a spinner with some chopped up 1/2 " FG cloth and 2part slow set epoxy, I wet out the FG strands with epoxy but not too resin rich, cram the mix into the hole, run the screw in till I know its about to spin and leave it to cure

After a day to cure if I can crank down the screw its no longer a spinner, a few people here on TT have fixed spinners with this method
    Anything special about what fiberglass cloth you get? I was just going to get the stuff home depot carries: https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo...0128/202077813

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

yup that stuff is fine ^^ I just cut it into 1/2 inch lengths wet it out with epoxy and cram it in the screw hole

i also used some to back up the crack in a thule box and probably some other things i don't remmeber

yup that stuff is fine ^^ I just cut it into 1/2 inch lengths wet it out with epoxy and cram it in the screw hole

i also used some to back up the crack in a thule box and probably some other things i don't remmeber
    Hmm, sounds handy. Appreciate it

I just ordered a replacement heel for a Dynafit TLT Speed Radical binding that I just broke. I donít know much about mounting bindings. Anything should know about mounting the replacement heel using the same holes? Use wood glue? Thanks in advance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1649.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	315421

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The screws might be stuck so before you strip the head use use a soldering iron on the head for 10-20 sec to loosen up the screw,

if you don't have a soldering iron turn a 1/4" drill bit backwards in the chuck, run it at high speed to heat up the screw

I would just use the same holes with slow set epoxy

if any of them strip use the FG and epoxy as per above ^^

The screws might be stuck so before you strip the head use use a soldering iron on the head for 10-20 sec to loosen up the screw,

if you don't have a soldering iron turn a 1/4" drill bit backwards in the chuck, run it at high speed to heat up the screw

I would just use the same holes with slow set epoxy

if any of them strip use the FG and epoxy as per above ^^
    Thanks! That sounds pretty simple. I don't want to invest any more than I have to for this setup since I bought it used but I'd like to ski this weekend.

One last thing, what would you recommend for slow set epoxy for this purpose? I searched for an old TGR thread and there were way too many recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    One last thing, what would you recommend for slow set epoxy for this purpose? I searched for an old TGR thread and there were way too many recommendations.
    I just use this stuff cause it's always in stock at home depot and its 24-hour cure. But do whatever XXX-er recommends.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...2001/100670610

well I use slow set from System 3 up here eh, which is I think the same as Systems West which is what a lot of folks down there will use

in general going strongest to less strongest: a 2-part 24hr slowset is the strongest, JB weld is probably about here, 5 minute 2-part about here, gorrila glue is about here, wood glue will seal the hole and is the least strong and there are more glues out there I havent covered what you use might depenf on what you can get

In reality probably all the bindings mounted by a shop will be mounted with wood glue cuz epoxy is messy more hassle takes too long to cure but any problems and you might need epoxy/FG or a heli coil

BTW don't strip the screwheads but if they come easy you don't have to heat them

well I use slow set from System 3 up here eh, which is I think the same as Systems West which is what a lot of folks down there will use

in general going strongest to less strongest: a 2-part 24hr slowset is the strongest, JB weld is probably about here, 5 minute 2-part about here, gorrila glue is about here, wood glue will seal the hole and is the least strong and there are more glues out there I havent covered what you use might depenf on what you can get

In reality probably all the bindings mounted by a shop will be mounted with wood glue cuz epoxy is messy more hassle takes too long to cure but any problems and you might need epoxy/FG or a heli coil

BTW don't strip the screwheads but if they come easy you don't have to heat them
    Don't worry, I can manage that. Thanks for the concise info. Really helpful.

G/Flex from West Marine is the same stuff.

I'll just add that the pullout strength is from the wood itself. The epoxy is to prevent water intrusion.

well if a hole is completeley stripped, so you cram it with slowset & FG cuz there isnt any wood left,

the epoxy is doing > water curtailment

Has anyone mounted a Faction Candide 2.0 using a 3.6 bit? Recommended is a 4.1 but no metal. Jus go with the 3.6?
    Last edited by Galbi; 02-13-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
    Has anyone mounted a Faction Candide 2.0 using a 3.6 bit? Recommended is a 4.1 but no metal. Jus go with the 3.6?
    Why wouldn't you use the bit that's recommended?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Why wouldn't you use the bit that's recommended?

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    I don’t have. And no time to wait for it to be shipped prior to my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbi View Post
    I don’t have. And no time to wait for it to be shipped prior to my trip.
    Drill away with 3.6. I guarantee there are tons of shops that just use 3.6 on all their mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Drill away with 3.6. I guarantee there are tons of shops that just use 3.6 on all their mounts.
    Sort of what I was leaning toward. Or 5/32 and tape.

Yup, fire away with the 3.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Yup, fire away with the 3.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    shootz

I use a 3.6 and always tap the hole. The tap will work with every ski (although it's been a while since I've had a metal top layer) and I never have to wonder about the recommended bit.

The above doesn't help the current situation, but why wait until 2 days before the next trip to have the same problem?
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Standard gorilla glue expands like a motherf*cker. Do not use. Gorilla wood glue is fine though if wood glue is your thing. I use a lepage 2 part slow cure marine epoxy. Seems to work well.

I know this is going to sound stupid, repetitive or whatnot but does the collective epoxy regular Alpine screws in virgin mounts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

I always do. Itís hardly any extra work and Iím so much more confident in epoxy than anything else. Itís probably just a peace of mind thing but I do think epoxy is superior