Page 140 of 274 FirstFirst ... 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 6834
    Mounted some Wildcat 108s last night. Besides getting the toes to slide on (got there but not easy) everything went well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wildcats.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	758.8 KB 
ID:	311200

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Mounted some Wildcat 108s last night. Besides getting the toes to slide on (got there but not easy) everything went well.

Name:	Wildcats.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	758.8 KB 
ID:	311200
    Love those graphics. They look good with the white Shift too.

My son wripped the rear binding out of a 123 line park ski. Found the ski and binding. Screws just spin the holes. Just epoxy them in? Or redrilling for fresh holes. Second mount. I could find fresh meat for drilling... I think.
    Second pair of skis this has happened. The other pair lost in the woods because brake attached to rear binding and ski shot into woods and lost.
    I can't tell him to not butter. He's 10.
    I was going to just epoxy. They will not be remounted. Ever.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    My son wripped the rear binding out of a 123 line park ski. Found the ski and binding. Screws just spin the holes. Just epoxy them in? Or redrilling for fresh holes. Second mount. I could find fresh meat for drilling... I think.
    Second pair of skis this has happened. The other pair lost in the woods because brake attached to rear binding and ski shot into woods and lost.

Helicoil/insert or fresh holes...
    Evidently the plastic inserts are actually stronger than the metal!?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post

Helicoil/Binding Freedom or remount. Doubt there's any metal, but tap the ski if there is.

Trying to remount pivots on to former demo kastle mx88’s, and I can’t find any mark indicating recommended mount line. I know the answer is “play with mount on demo clamps, mount where you like it”, but I’d like to reality check that.

Tl;dr: anyone know the recommended line for a 178cm kastle mx88?

It's on there (probably?!). Little triangle on the sidewall. Very discreet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just did these for an amigo. Helio 105s w/ Tectons. First time I’ve dealt with Tectons, those’re interesting bindings.

Name:	94535ECE-6BF5-4313-90DC-BF0D92694D22.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	313493

Quote Originally Posted by chickenNugget View Post
    Trying to remount pivots on to former demo kastle mx88’s, and I can’t find any mark indicating recommended mount line. I know the answer is “play with mount on demo clamps, mount where you like it”, but I’d like to reality check that.

Tl;dr: anyone know the recommended line for a 178cm kastle mx88?
    Triangle on left side of ski aft of serial, approximately ~100.5 on my mx98/179 s. Mine are fairly old though 2012 maybe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Snow line has been meh lately. Shop time. Pulled binders off of wife's protests. Previous mount was a little wonky and her boot maxed them out. She wanted plates, so epoxied old holes and put them on. Then put inserts in her factions and inserts in my new protests.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mounted my own fucking skis last night. Shifts on a pair of brand new MVPs. The toe screw was a spinner on one of the skis. How much stress does the toe screw of the shift get? Should I try and remedy it or not a big deal?

Needs to be fixed.

I fix a spinner with some chopped up 1/2 " FG cloth and 2part slow set epoxy, I wet out the FG strands with epoxy but not too resin rich, cram the mix into the hole, run the screw in till I know its about to spin and leave it to cure

After a day to cure if I can crank down the screw its no longer a spinner, a few people here on TT have fixed spinners with this method
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I fix a spinner with some chopped up 1/2 " FG cloth and 2part slow set epoxy, I wet out the FG strands with epoxy but not too resin rich, cram the mix into the hole, run the screw in till I know its about to spin and leave it to cure

After a day to cure if I can crank down the screw its no longer a spinner, a few people here on TT have fixed spinners with this method
    I've read this method from you a number of times. I'll just say you're a trooper for typing this out so many times. I'll give this a go and if it's still a spinner, I'll bring it into a shop for a helicoil or an insert. I don't know if I quite trust myself with that.

Question though. So you put the screw in when the epoxy is still wet and it doesn't "over-bond" with the screw? Just making sure it's possible to take the screw out someday

Nope, pulling the screw out is usually easy. If it's not, you can heat the head up (just a little, don't over-do it) with the tip of a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I've read this method from you a number of times. I'll just say you're a trooper for typing this out so many times. I'll give this a go and if it's still a spinner, I'll bring it into a shop for a helicoil or an insert. I don't know if I quite trust myself with that.

Question though. So you put the screw in when the epoxy is still wet and it doesn't "over-bond" with the screw? Just making sure it's possible to take the screw out someday
    You'll need to heat that screw up to remove it in the future.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Oops... duplicate post.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I have dealt with screws that were epoxied into a ski for a long cure period that didn't wana budge but it would seem that with a short 1 day cure the epoxy hasn't quite bonded to the screw and its possible to just crank it down. One could also rub some wax or lube on the screw threads to keep the epoxy from sticking to the screw

Just hit any stuck screw with some heat, 10-20 sec with a soldering iron, another method if you can't get a soldering iron on the screw or don't have an iron is to turn a 1/4 drillbit BACKWARDS in the drill chuck and run the shank at high speed on the screw head, the friction will heat that screw and break the epoxy bond

never done a heli coil or insert, cuz I don't have that stuff, but i got FG and epoxy, I have had to fix a lot of things with whatever was lying around, IME this is a no brainer method of fixing a spinner.

one should try to contribute to a tech tip forum eh

Mounted my skis W/ CAST system.

Semi-successfully this time. Unbeknownst to me, a Jigarex arm was slightly off so had to remount on one ski :| but that's on me.

Unfortunately, have a single spinner in a heel. Headed out a trip with these skis tomorrow so no chance to get JB+FG/Helicoil (No Helicoil or Fiberglass on hand). Besides imminent death, are there any issues with skiing this ski a couple days? Will mostly be backcountry skiing. If there is, probably will ski a day or two and then see if I can drop it off at a shop and hopefully they can do a quick remount+fix. I have JB weld so I may try that as well if I can get some fiberglass
    Last edited by nyskirat; 02-07-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

JB weld without the fibreglass would be better than nothing at all....I’d drip some in then try to snug up the screw without spinning it.

Do the JB Weld. My main concern for a few days of pow touring would be water sealing - unless you're one of those guys who cracks boots and breaks skis all the time.

The Pivot heel distributes the force amongst its 4 holes more evenly than a typical heel does (unsubstantiated guesswork on my part, BTW).

Regarding removing screws after the FG/epoxy fix I don't dee a difference between it and a regular mount with use of epoxy. I've had to use the soldering iron method on maybe 50% of the screws. The others, I could barely get by without it. G-Flex 650 is amazing stuff - very flexible after curing.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Name:	IMG_20191204_065940.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	314513Pozi w/ nut on shank makes a huge difference on stuck screws(still use heat).
    Fiberglass wool, ie insulation, works well for spinner holes too.

Folks were raving about JB weld, its always available in the cheap glue section at home hardware so I tried some and IME its shitty for filling screw holes cuz its a paste so it doesnt really drip into a screw hole , it isn't going to combine/wet out a filler, i didn't like the silver color, I imagine it wouldn't get into a ski core repair very well either if thats your application but JB would probably be great for filling gaps like that big core shot that you just gona wax right over or in this situation it might be < nothing

I don't always know how a binding was mounted but I'm pretty sure screws that were just mount ed with wood glue get stuck so I try to remember to use the heat just as soon as I realize a screw is not moving & before the head is phucked, I've stripped a screw head and had to just cut the head off flush with the ski but it was a telemark mount so moving a mount half an inch made no decernable difference and it probably skied better or worse

how many times have you heard someone say " uh, like whats a pozi-drive bra ? "

Agree about JB Weld in general.

To clarify, my only reason for saying he should do it is that he would probably use something even more subject to water penetration as a short term solution. Guys in a panicked rush on their way to pow ;-)

Poster ... maybe you have some Titebond-III (is that the indoor/outdoor version?)
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Just did these for an amigo. Helio 105s w/ Tectons. First time I’ve dealt with Tectons, those’re interesting bindings.

Name:	94535ECE-6BF5-4313-90DC-BF0D92694D22.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	313493
    Like em? Might buy some. The bindings. I’m not a fan of the skis.