Page 134 of 274 FirstFirst ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 6832
    Damn, can’t believe they drilled that so close. I’d be pissed but that’s,”why I mount my own fucking skis”.
    Not sure if I’d feel confident inserting those.

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post
    Attachment 307963Attachment 307964Attachment 307965Attachment 307966Attachment 307967

Getting used to this now. Note to self don’t drink double espresso beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Espresso? I’m disappointed. Beer makes it go faster

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Well shit, went to do a simple inserting tonight using existing holes. Of course when I pulled off the heels I found the shop “tech” put the new holes real close to a prior set. Too close IMO, like it would have been that hard the give a little clearance? Such is life.

I feel like the consensus is gonna be to adjust the heel position up or back to get decent clearance of prior holes?

Or with it being 2 of the 4—would pulling the two plastic plugs and epoxying in some wood (or whatevs) give enough structure to insert using current holes?

Attachment 308073
    Ive installed inserts in a similar situation. Plugged the old holes with wood + epoxy and let it sit 24 hrs before drilling. Came out ok. Ymmv. Cleanest solution - move heel mount forwards or backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedropper View Post
    Lay the tape down, find center in three spots and connect them all with a long ruler laying down a center line for the paper templates. Tape those puppy’s down and mark with a center punch.

Quick tip that I stumble across. Use more than one sheet or paper or card stock. The punches then “sit” in the center holes much easier if your using the same temple multiple times.

Oh, and this works well for finding the center:

Attachment 307332
    Quite the opposite in my experience. Don't reuse the template for the second ski.

Use a push pin to punch holes in the template. This serves as a guide for your centerpunch.

Once you've punched through the template, the holes have widened and you lose precision. You're never perfect no matter what, but the pinholes aid in more precisely punching and you lose that benefit if you reuse the template.

BTW, I love the dual combination square method. It frees up a hand. I've been using the "square" part of a combo square in the same way that @xxx-er does, but this simplifies matters further.

Here's a good centering ruler. I picked it up for one of my other obsessions (working on guitars): https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...Shop_Rule.html

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-29-2019 at 02:56 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Well shit, went to do a simple inserting tonight using existing holes. Of course when I pulled off the heels I found the shop “tech” put the new holes real close to a prior set. Too close IMO, like it would have been that hard the give a little clearance? Such is life.

I feel like the consensus is gonna be to adjust the heel position up or back to get decent clearance of prior holes?

Or with it being 2 of the 4—would pulling the two plastic plugs and epoxying in some wood (or whatevs) give enough structure to insert using current holes?

Attachment 308073
    Hardwood dowels, a mix of fiberglass/epoxy, or @1000-oaks' technique of aluminum screws and you needn't worry about compromised ski strength.

[edit] Looking at this on a big screen, I wonder if the shop biased the mount toward better spacing on the front two of the heel holes. These would be the ones that bear the most stress. It's hard to know after the fact (not knowing the BSL they mounted for and whether the heel mount was biased in one direction or the other. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-29-2019 at 02:51 AM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Here's a good centering ruler. I picked it up for one of my other obsessions (working on guitars): https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...Shop_Rule.html

... Thom
    Oh, I certainly don’t need another 6” steel ruler, but that one makes my tool yearnings ache.

I’m all about .5mm
    My daily driver mechanical pencil...no sharpening needed
    I like precision

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Ive installed inserts in a similar situation. Plugged the old holes with wood + epoxy and let it sit 24 hrs before drilling. Came out ok. Ymmv.
    sound advice

ive had spinners and screws pull out of straight core material. i use a wood dowel/epoxy in most all old mount holes regardless of interference. on those that are close ive never had a compromise

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Oh, I certainly don’t need another 6” steel ruler, but that one makes my tool yearnings ache.
    That's what happened to me. I had to have both the Amurican & metric versions.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Hey does anyone have excess little rubber plugs they dont want? I like using them to plug existing holes but some don't.
    I got a pack of 50 and used them all up remounting bindings.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I've got a bunch of black ones I'm never going to use. PM me and I'll find a way to get 'em to you.

Going to be 35 holes in each of these fuckers once I'm done with them, so figured I better patch up the old ones.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191230_162840.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	308410

Name:  IMG_20191230_163349.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20191230_191725.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20191230_192842.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  133.4 KB

Perfecto! Wood dowels and g flex and all is good again! Love it

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Could a ski that has lived that many lives have any remaining flex or ptex?

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Could a ski that has lived that many lives have any remaining flex or ptex?
    Yup. Bases and edges are minty, and they've still got camber and pop. I picked them up with all those holes so I don't know the history, but the number of holes to actual usage ratio appears to be quite high.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Going to be 35 holes in each of these fuckers once I'm done with them, so figured I better patch up the old ones.
    Threaded dowels? If no, do you open up the holes at all to match the dowel size or just hammer them in there?

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    Threaded dowels? If no, do you open up the holes at all to match the dowel size or just hammer them in there?
    My technique is to dab some epoxy in the holes, and then just tap them in. They're not a super snug fit in the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    If the dowel is a little oversized, you can chuck it in a drill and sand down. Using corse sandpaper will also provide a bit more texture for the epoxy to bond to. I make mine so they are just slightly loose, dab the hole with epoxy then tap in. Also, I pre cut mine to length, a half mm below top sheet height then make sure that epoxy covers the exposed wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    If the dowel is a little oversized, you can chuck it in a drill and sand down. Using corse sandpaper will also provide a bit more texture for the epoxy to bond to. I make mine so they are just slightly loose, dab the hole with epoxy then tap in. Also, I pre cut mine to length, a half mm below top sheet height then make sure that epoxy covers the exposed wood.
    That's probably the neatest way but I'm too lazy for all that measuring and exact cutting. I just leave them long as pictured, then buzz the tops off with a hand saw once the epoxy cures, then just touch the tops down with a drill bit and guide to keep it all centred to leave a little dimple to cover with more epoxy.

I guess the downside of my method is that it involves an extra epoxy cure waiting period, but it's easy and I can do it with my brain switched off and/or full of bourbon.

You are most certainly going to die. But I'll be doing a similar thing in the next couple weeks. Are you doing anything special for the bindings you're about to mount because of all the holes? Inserts?
    How did you remove the plastic plugs? Drill them out with a drill bit or are you doing something whacky with that screw?

Had some luck last week mounting my skis.

Thanks to the PowderGuide templates!

Used Titebond III Ultimate and the wintersteiger 4.1 bit. Freehanded the holes with a drill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ski_mount.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	736.5 KB 
ID:	308492  

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    You are most certainly going to die. But I'll be doing a similar thing in the next couple weeks. Are you doing anything special for the bindings you're about to mount because of all the holes? Inserts?
    How did you remove the plastic plugs? Drill them out with a drill bit or are you doing something whacky with that screw?
    Well, they're for my girlfriend, so I'm not going to die.

I drilled a shallow pilot hole in the plugs, put the screw in, and used that to yank the plugs out. I haven't figured out exactly where my mount holes are going to land yet, but I'll either do just a normal mount or maybe helicoils in select locations if they're especially sketchy.

That's probably the neatest way but I'm too lazy for all that measuring and exact cutting. I just leave them long as pictured, then buzz the tops off with a hand saw once the epoxy cures, then just touch the tops down with a drill bit and guide to keep it all centred to leave a little dimple to cover with more epoxy.

I guess the downside of my method is that it involves an extra epoxy cure waiting period, but it's easy and I can do it with my brain switched off and/or full of bourbon.
    I'm all about easy...
    My method for cutting to size is to put the plug into the hole, spin it and scribe with a sharp xacto blade, then carefully cut just under the line with a fine coping saw blade.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I'm all about easy...
    My method for cutting to size is to put the plug into the hole, spin it and scribe with a sharp xacto blade, then carefully cut just under the line with a fine coping saw blade.
    That works too. I'm sure we're ending up with a very similar final result.

That works too. I'm sure we're ending up with a very similar final result.
    For sure...
    I just dislike working with epoxy, so I have an incentive to get it all done in a single step.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Anyone ever seen the need to grind down the head diameter on BF sourced heel screws for STH2 inserts?

Seems on heel plate rear holes the screws don’t “seat” down super well into the recess. Leaving less thread exposed vs the fronts.

First timer so I may be unnecessarily concerned; perhaps the rubbery underside compresses more than I’m thinking. Believe I read somewhere we’re looking for 4-5 threads engagement?

Screw length seems okay.

Name:	IMG_2507.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	830.9 KB 
ID:	308499

Name:	IMG_2513.JPG 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	308500

Name:	IMG_2512.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	387.3 KB 
ID:	308501

Name:	IMG_2506.JPG 
Size:	550.1 KB 
ID:	308502
    Last edited by dgilligan02; 12-31-2019 at 11:09 AM.