Page 127 of 274 FirstFirst ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 6831
    lets see a demo of that thing

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

What kinda of range does that thing have? I am not seeing how you factor in, well, anything other than what appear to be pivot holes. I am not questioning its integrity. Just curious.
    Uno mas

The screws in the bottom corners move the pins that clamp the ski in and out. They're a RH and LH Acme thread rod coupled together, so they hold the ski on the centerline.

And yeah, I've only made plates for Pivots so far. I'll make more for other bindings when I get around to it. They're held down with the brass thumb screws, so they're adjustable for BSL and removable/swappable easily.

But how do you know where to set the heel and toe plates in relation to the center line for the specific bsl you’re mounting?
    Just not seeing any measurement markings.
    I’ve mounted like 50 skis, just never used a jig just assumed all setting off bsl. They seem to have lines and such.
    Uno mas

Clamp the ski in the jig. Put the plates in (loose). Put the boot on the plates, move the boot so it's wherever you want it relative to the ski, butt the pins that are sticking up out of the plates against the ends of the boot. Tighten down. Done.

Gotcha. I was sorta lost on the whole get up but all making sense now. Pretty cool if you hammer out a ton of pivot mounts.
    Uno mas

I've got a couple to do right now, but not really that many. I've survived this long doing paper templates, and could have indefinitely just fine. This was mostly just a fun shoulder season project just for the hell of it.

Now that I've got the main jig done up, it's easy to make more plates for other bindings. I'll do that as I need 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Got my homemade jig put together. Is it silly overkill? Definitely. Was it fun to build? Yep.

Attachment 305954
    Good work. Good taste.

Just a reminder to all about 3M 5200 Marine Glue.

It’s the shit for virgin holes.

All you guys having to use soldering irons and impacts to get screws out because you used some crazy epoxy... way overkill! Only epoxy if you are dealing with a spinner, insert, helicoil, etc.... everything else gets 5200. Slips right in. Stays in. Screws right out a few seasons later when you want it to...

Some genius here found that glue, early in this thread. Truly the best.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Just a reminder to all about 3M 5200 Marine Glue.

Only epoxy if you are dealing with a spinner, insert, helicoil, etc....
    Or Pure Carbon

Got my homemade jig put together. Is it silly overkill? Definitely. Was it fun to build? Yep.

Attachment 305954
    That's amazing. How many lbs of aluminum went into that beautiful thing? Did you have to reinforce your workbench to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Just a reminder to all about 3M 5200 Marine Glue
    Good stuff, IME much better than wood glue. I used it for numerous mounts. An issue: it cakes on the screw like mad, which is fine for a permanent mount, but a PITA if you want to remove the reuse the screw.

I switched back to epoxy. For touring mounts, I remove and wipe the screw after the epoxy sets but before cure, which allows a clean screw to be extracted without heat. I do that because I want the ability to remove and reuse a clean screw if there's an issue in the field.

very rad.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkbrnblm View Post
    That's amazing. How many lbs of aluminum went into that beautiful thing? Did you have to reinforce your workbench to use it?
    I haven't weighed it, but it's not that heavy. Maybe 12lb or so.

We skied some new pow yesterday in low tide conditions and buddy lost a toe piece after hitting some logs n shit. Managed to strap the boot to the ski with 3 longest voile straps and he "Terry Foxed" it out no problem, today there will be a run on long voile straps at the ski store
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So, I did a mount last night on some Icelantics with Shifts. I got a spinner on one of the little aluminum toe nubbins. Pulled the screw out, did a 75% fiberglass 25% epoxy mix, shoved that in the hole, and then threaded the screw in until flush, no tightening.

I've been reading about Shifts and how this is a fairly heavily loaded screw. Should I pull this out and insert it? Will I die?

That's what I do for spinners , I would let it cure a couple days , if you can crank the screw down like you wood screwing it into wood

What's the difference ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-13-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’d insert a single screw w that much force on it....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Taking the leap to ruin--er, I mean "insert"--my own effing skis. For STH2. Skis to be done:

1. Dynastar Powertrack, will use existing holes.
    2. Line Sick Day, new holes
    3. Liberty Origin, new holes

For 2 & 3 plan to use STH2 template from muggydude here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...45#post4970045

Will do the requesite practice jobs on a 2x4. Measure thrice, drill once.

Items gathered:

• From Binding Freedom:
      • Inserts
      • Drill Guide Block - Self Centering
      • Insert installation tool
      • Pozi-Flathead M5 screws, 12mm for heels
      • 72 hour Epoxy
      • Vibra-Tite

• Locally:
      • Center punch
      • Tap Handle
      • F type drill bit
      • 5/16-18 bottoming tap
      • Clamps for holding both skis and guide block in place

Questions:
    1. What essentials am I missing for inserts besides 20mm screws for toes?
    2. Do we have a source of the Smallhead M5, 20mm screws that Binding Freedom doesn't sell? I found a couple types of M5, 20mm screws locally. But as with others what I've found is the heads are too big to slide through the wings on the STH2 toes. Fallback is to try and grind down the heads of local sourcing. **EDIT** maybe this looks promising. https://www.mcmaster.com/94017a312
    3. For toe screws mentioned above, are we looking for thread length 20mm like on the pan head below, or total length 20mm like on the flat head below? Any comments on suitability of either of these screws is appreciated. Eyeball tells me it's thread length 20 mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M5 20mm screws.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	306066
    Last edited by dgilligan02; 12-13-2019 at 05:42 PM.

check out slidewright for fasteners if you're missing some
    terry also has some good install info there too
    https://www.slidewright.com/stainles...-installation/

also, consider doing practice install on 1/2" cabinet plywood -- practice not bottoming out

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    check out slidewright for fasteners if you're missing some
    terry also has some good install info there too
    https://www.slidewright.com/stainles...-installation/

also, consider doing practice install on 1/2" cabinet plywood -- practice not bottoming out
    Unless I’m reading it wrong Slidewright doesn’t have the 20mm smallheads or flatheads, either.

Thanks for the tip on the 1/2 inch test material, good idea. I’m thinking about using a drill stop collar too.

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    I got a spinner * * * this is a fairly heavily loaded screw. Should I pull this out and insert it?
    I'd helicoil it

Quote Originally Posted by cstefanic View Post
    Will I die?
    Yes, of course

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Unless I’m reading it wrong Slidewright doesn’t have the 20mm smallheads or flatheads, either.
    i didn't check those specifically...sorry bout that...

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    Unless I’m reading it wrong Slidewright doesn’t have the 20mm smallheads or flatheads, either. Thanks for the tip on the 1/2 inch test material, good idea. I’m thinking about using a drill stop collar too.
    We have some 18mm smallheads left. Are you sure about the needed screw length?

We also have a bunch of misc ss machine screws laying around I could dig through for longer flat heads (and several other heads) you could grind and cut to length if needed I'd just give you. Phillips and 4mm hex IIRC.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    We have some 18mm smallheads left. Are you sure about the needed screw length?

We also have a bunch of misc ss machine screws laying around I could dig through for longer flat heads (and several other heads) you could grind and cut to length if needed I'd just give you. Phillips and 4mm hex IIRC.
    Very kind offer! Both sources I’ve found are consistent on 20mm for STH2...but if anybody can confirm 18mm works that would be welcome news.

Name:	IMG_2371.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	306104

Name:	IMG_2372.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	306105