Page 99 of 275 FirstFirst ... 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 6863
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    For the paper templates. They are marked in 5mm increments. The lines are about 1mm thick. My boots are 306mm. Line up the template right at 305 or line up bottom of toe side “305 line” and top of heel side “305 line” to get closer to 306? I guess I know the answer is “it doesn’t fucking matter it’s only a mm” just bouncing a couple thoughts off the collective.
    I am anal enough that I do mark the spot of my boot’s exact BSL

Not at all required

Sometimes you might want to mount with space at the other end of the binding fitment range, in which case, adjust the line you mount at
    (Like maybe an AT boot with slightly different BSL that can run in an appropriate multi-norm binding)

Thanks all. Beer steps were implied naturally. ClayCole thanks for the tips. I like the idea of taking the front ones out to line the holes up visually. Doing it blind is likely what screwed me up last time. I remember looking up how to set the bindings last time, but I'll look in to it again. I may stick with 305 since it's right in the middle of the BSL range for 26.5 boots.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    those look fun!
    Yeah, if they do a longer size run, like a 187 or something that would be rad.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Just mounted these last night. I did have one small problem where one screw on the heel plate wouldn't bite all the way. I put long set epoxy in the whole and went back to tighten this morning, but it won't budge.. There's a tiny gap between the plate and the ski that I can't even slide a razor under.. Rest of the plate is tight.. Think I'll have problems?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181215_153237.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	260192
    "Skiing is the easy part, Carl."

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxxx View Post
    Think I'll have problems?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181215_153237.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	260192
    Yes you'll have problems, because those skis are way too short!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Successfully mounted my Billy Goats. This process really stresses me out! Haha. Probably lack of experience and the fact I had a problem the first time I did a mount a few years ago. But this one went smooth other than a couple mini panics while screwing the bindings in. All looks good though.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Yes you'll have problems, because those skis are way too short!
    Don't worry.. I have some 250cm red skis too..

Don't worry.. I have some 250cm red skis too..
    Pfft.

These days I don't ski anything less than a 305 cm long solid iron I-beam welded directly to my ski boots.

I'm going to start a PSA: Weld Your Own Fucking Skis thread.

...I did have one small problem where one screw on the heel plate wouldn't bite all the way. I put long set epoxy in the whole and went back to tighten this morning, but it won't budge.. There's a tiny gap between the plate and the ski that I can't even slide a razor under.. Rest of the plate is tight.. Think I'll have problems?
    My prediction is: No problems.

Maybe a problem if you add a huge stack of extra risks on top of that...like if you're huge like Shaquille O'Neal, AND you huck big onto flat ice on every run, AND you soften that hole's epoxy in the hotbox right before you ski, AND...AND...AND...

BTW, I think people here say you don't just tighten an epoxied screw, because it likely won't budge that way. Instead, I think you break the seal by UNtightening that screw a half-turn or so, and THEN you RE-tighten it down after that.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Just mounted these last night. I did have one small problem where one screw on the heel plate wouldn't bite all the way. I put long set epoxy in the whole and went back to tighten this morning, but it won't budge.. There's a tiny gap between the plate and the ski that I can't even slide a razor under.. Rest of the plate is tight.. Think I'll have problems?

what I hear you saying is you had a spinner so you used slow set but now you can't tighten the screw down?

This is probably becuz you have glued the screw to the ski at what ever point you left the screw at

IME this is OK

so now if you use a little heat ( 5-10 sec with a 100W soldering iron ) it will loosen the glue from the screw but leave the threads you created in the ski so that you can crank the screw down completely and Bob's yer uncle

that hole should be a good strong water tight hole but you can use a little more epoxy on that screw if you want

if you don't have a soldering iron turn a 1/4 drill bit shank down in a electric drill so the dull end is sticking out of the drill chuck, run the drill at high speed against the screw head until it has created enough friction/heat to break the epoxy hold on the screw
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

what I hear you saying is you had a spinner so you used slow set but now you can't tighten the screw down?

This is probably becuz you have glued the screw to the ski at what ever point you left the screw at

IME this is OK

so now if you use a little heat ( 5-10 sec with a 100W soldering iron ) it will loosen the glue from the screw but leave the threads you created in the ski so that you can crank the screw down completely and Bob's yer uncle

that hole should be a good strong water tight hole but you can use a little more epoxy on that screw if you want

if you don't have a soldering iron turn a 1/4 drill bit shank down in a electric drill so the dull end is sticking out of the drill chuck, run the drill at high speed against the screw head until it has created enough friction/heat to break the epoxy hold on the screw
    Yeah, exactly. Screw won't budge either way.. After I heat it and get the screw out, should I add epoxy and screw it back in right away?

Also, do you think it'll hold as is for 2 days?

Pfft.

These days I don't ski anything less than a 305 cm long solid iron I-beam welded directly to my ski boots.

I'm going to start a PSA: Weld Your Own Fucking Skis thread.
    Nice.. Do they let you on the gondie, or is that just your touring rig?

yeah add epoxy and crank it down hard right away

if the screw doesn't spin and cranks down all the way yer good

it will probably be alright for a couple of days
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

yeah add epoxy and crank it down hard right away

if the screw doesn't spin and cranks down all the way yer good

it will probably be alright for a couple of days
    Cool thanks for the info

Nice.. Do they let you on the gondie, or is that just your touring rig?
    They do.

My touring rig is an I-beam hinged to another I-beam with my boot welded to it, so I can walk uphill.

Duh.

They do.

My touring rig is an I-beam hinged to another I-beam with my boot welded to it, so I can walk uphill.

Duh.
    Do you just use old sled tracks for skins?

Do you just use old sled tracks for skins?
    Groomer tracks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181215_201036890.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	260224

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    nother week of good 40 or so hours at the fullfilment center mount desk with an additional 25 at the brick n mortar grainery compound
    = way too fuckin many mounts
    but when my jolly redcoated bro says hes understaffed and the sfotexgroms aint gonna be as stoked on their goodkid presents
    if they cant actually use em on xmass day and his fuckin mount elves cant even do his shit right
    uncle dibs is on it and has got your back
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

From the Lhasa Pow thread, I was so careful mounting these up, as I was having issues convincing myself I had them PERFECTLY centered. So a few hours later, I finally finished the job. My only dis satisfaction is one on the heels pieces is not snug against the ski, (super slim gap) but the screw will not turn further without me using enough force to likely strip out the thread. I used waterproof wood glue and there is a nice ring of glue around the screw to seal the hole, should I just go ski or remove the heel and try it again? Pics:

Name:	template.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	260256

Name:	Lhasa's.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	260257
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Sounds like you didn’t drill the hole deep enough. Remove the screw and lightly redrill it deeper. Glue and re-install.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Sounds like you didn’t drill the hole deep enough. Remove the screw and lightly redrill it deeper. Glue and re-install.
    Rrrrggh, ok. I use a drill press to drill exactly deep enough, but I guess that is the only explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Could be that there was some sawdust or shavings in the bottom of the hole, too

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Could be that there was some sawdust or shavings in the bottom of the hole, too
    That too. I hit the holes with compressed air

Could be slight volcano at the screw.

Yeah, dental pick and air blast for clean holes.

Lastly, if using a drill press with stop collar for depth control... if you set the depth at the thicc part of the ski near the toes, the rearmost heel holes could end up being too shallow since the ski is thinner there.