Page 11 of 275 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    So the other day I'm putting my wife's skis back on the rack and for some reason I have a close look at them. Back before I mounted my own fucking bindings, I paid a shop to mount these... and I've just now noticed that they just mounted to the top-sheet mark and didn't make sure each ski was consistent.

One binding is at least 1cm back of the other! WTF? Rookie mistake.

Just re-enforces why I'll continue to mount my own fucking skis...

That is all.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjfitz View Post
    Thanks, but I meant had a hard time finding one locally. Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, True Value, etc all had nothing. Of course teh interwebz has everything. Didn't feel like waiting for it to ship, so went looking around the local stores.
    Oh, right. That is nearly impossible, even in a decent sized city.

Thanks to this thread I have successfully mounted a couple of skis.

Previous skis had the boot center clearly marked on the top sheet. I am mounting a Blizzard Bonfafide and the only mark is on the side. Can anyone confirm that the arrow in the attached pic represents boot center. These are the only markings on the sidewall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BonafideSideMarkings.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	437.1 KB 
ID:	129910

Quote Originally Posted by -Devin- View Post
    Thanks to this thread I have successfully mounted a couple of skis.

Previous skis had the boot center clearly marked on the top sheet. I am mounting a Blizzard Bonfafide and the only mark is on the side. Can anyone confirm that the arrow in the attached pic represents boot center. These are the only markings on the sidewall.

Name:	BonafideSideMarkings.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	437.1 KB 
ID:	129910

Don't just trust the markings. Do your own measurements, find true center, then go -4cm, -6cm, however much you want from there.

Quote Originally Posted by DRZ1050i View Post
    Don't just trust the markings. Do your own measurements, find true center, then go -4cm, -6cm, however much you want from there.
    Thanks. I just emailed Blizzard. I'm sit skier and split a pair with a friend. Don't have any specs on where they recommend as a start point.

If you're only mounting 1 binding I'd say you're going to be close enough to just go for it at that mark.

The recommendations to do your own measurements are more relevant when you're mounting a pair... they don't always make them the same.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    Seriously, paying someone to mount skis is like paying someone to change the windshield wipers on your vehicle.

(And no, you don't need a jig, a drill press and a shop table to do a good mount.)
    Actually it's more like you pay someone to have sex for you while you watch.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    I hate to repeat stuff that is a simple search away (probably within this exact thread), but hell with it. It has been said here many times before, but http://www.wihatools.com/indexes/indxpozi.htm is a good source for your pozidriv stuff. For more ski specific tools, Slide Wright has what you need.
    Thanks, I looked for wiha screwdrivers after I saw one of my colleague's, but I misspelled the name. Their robbies are amazing.

West germany... I guess these aren't flying off the shelves.

I had this conversation with a tech in a uk shop. He said use super glue over wood glue. On a spinning thread, its locked it down. Cyanacrylate.
    Keeping the British End Up!

A possible local source for pozidrive hand drivers: Woodcraft. They sell Wiha hand drivers and have pozidrive drivers. In store stock will vary from store to store.

Gentlemen, a question. I want to reuse some old holes, and I keep reading about using a steel wool and epoxy mixture, but haven't been able to find any details. How much steel wool should be in the epoxy, as in what is the ratio? How fine do you cut it up? Is a finer steel wool better than a coarse steel wool?

Or should I just not worry about it and just use epoxy? As far as I can tell, the holes still have good threads in them.

Cheers.

I think the epoxy wire wool mix is for if you can't tighten the reused binding holes.
    Keeping the British End Up!

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Gentlemen, a question. I want to reuse some old holes, and I keep reading about using a steel wool and epoxy mixture, but haven't been able to find any details. How much steel wool should be in the epoxy, as in what is the ratio? How fine do you cut it up? Is a finer steel wool better than a coarse steel wool?

Or should I just not worry about it and just use epoxy? As far as I can tell, the holes still have good threads in them.
    If the holes still have good threads, no need for steel wool. Glue it and screw it. Be sure to tighten by hand, and don't over-tighten.

Awesome, thanks guys! Glue and screw it is...that must apply to ladies somehow, but I can't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Awesome, thanks guys! Glue and screw it is...that must apply to ladies somehow, but I can't figure it out.
    That'd be rather unfortunate if you reached over in the dark and grabbed a bottle of glue instead of your sloppy sauce.

bump

cuz I'm mounting my kid's new fucking skis
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 02-14-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1360906013.231621.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	132723

118cm Volkl Gotama Jr with Silvretta Pure Kidz

What more could a six year old want?

He has no idea. He will be fired up when he staggers down the stairs in the morning.

Great. My kid's confidence and skills improved while riding his Got Jrs. With his touring option (barons) it was a great combo to introduce him to touring. Enjoy every moment. They grow up fast and then kick your ass.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-15-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: iPhone typos
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Owen ripped the shit outta these skis today. Carving harder. He took a step up with new boards.

Just mounted my own fucking skis. Props to Jondrums for sexy templates. Plum guide toe Bsl measurement was right on, had to measure a little extra for the heel because mine are not centered and I don't want to mess with the sider screws when switching between inserts. Just have to break out the stove fuel to scrub off the giant sharpie centerline and bootcenter cross.

Just used my jigarex for the first time. Used a stepped drill bit. Apparently the step doesn't really act like a stop. On two of the holes it countersunk a bit deeper than I would have liked. Didn't go into the core or anything, but there's more material gone than I'd like. I really wasn't pressing down hard, so I was a bit surprised. On all my previous mounts I was too shy with the countersink and had volcanos. Figures I'd end up taking too much material off this time.

I just put some waterproof glue in and screwed them down like I usually do. No spinners. Mount seems solid. Anything to worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Just used my jigarex for the first time. Used a stepped drill bit. Apparently the step doesn't really act like a stop. On two of the holes it countersunk a bit deeper than I would have liked. Didn't go into the core or anything, but there's more material gone than I'd like. I really wasn't pressing down hard, so I was a bit surprised. On all my previous mounts I was too shy with the countersink and had volcanos. Figures I'd end up taking too much material off this time.

I just put some waterproof glue in and screwed them down like I usually do. No spinners. Mount seems solid. Anything to worry about?
    The step is as much to chamfer the hole as it is a stop, so it takes a lighter touch than a "true" stop like a collar. Plus, some topsheets are softer (for lack of a better term) than others. Probably not a big deal, but if you're really worried you could pop them off and remount them with a liberal amount of epoxy.

Bumping this thread... I routinely mount my own bindings- this allows me to measure accurately, take my time, and get a perfect mount. But I was pressed for time and super busy this weekend, so I decided to take my skis and boots to a local shop for a Dynafit Mount as their prices are cheap and they have a good reputation. Shop assured me they knew how to mount them and that they'd done many before.

Long story short, came back later and they totally botched the job. Toes were crooked on both skis. Didn't bother telling me, but when I checked in the store it was obvious- boots did NOT line up with heel pins. Manager came out and said they'd plug the holes with wood dowels (which I do, no issues there) and remount to make it right, so I'm not gonna call them out, but the message stands: even if you're pressed for time, MOUNT YOUR OWN FUCKING SKIS.

That is all.

i just got done MOUNTING MY OWN FUCKING SKIS!

carry on.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...