Page 148 of 274 FirstFirst ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 6835

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1657.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	323228

Finally mounted these after they sat in my garage for almost a year. Still holding out hope that Snowbird will reopen for some summer laps, if not they'll be hanging in the garage till next year I guess.

I went back and forth about a CAST setup, now I'm wishing I had done it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post

Name:	IMG_1657.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	323228

Finally mounted these after they sat in my garage for almost a year. Still holding out hope that Snowbird will reopen for some summer laps, if not they'll be hanging in the garage till next year I guess.

I went back and forth about a CAST setup, now I'm wishing I had done it.
    Its not too late.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

nice!

As for Cast, I am sure you are aware - but when they get them back in stock that is a very easy change to make. Swap the front screws for the plate/mounting screws, convert the toe and drill/mount the brake holders parts. Extremely easy.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    nice!

As for Cast, I am sure you are aware - but when they get them back in stock that is a very easy change to make. Swap the front screws for the plate/mounting screws, convert the toe and drill/mount the brake holders parts. Extremely easy.
    Oh yeah! It might happen down the road.

Looking at some used skis mounted once with the same bindings and BSL I need. ON3P skis and pivot bindings. What are the thoughts of re-using all the existing holes? What are my odds of getting a spinner/problem in the set of 16 screws? The little screw keepers built in to pivots seem to prevent the ability to back-screw until the threads align and you can tighten without cross threading.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Looking at some used skis mounted once with the same bindings and BSL I need. ON3P skis and pivot bindings. What are the thoughts of re-using all the existing holes? What are my odds of getting a spinner/problem in the set of 16 screws? The little screw keepers built in to pivots seem to prevent the ability to back-screw until the threads align and you can tighten without cross threading.
    I would just install all screws with fiberglass and slow set marine epoxy per the XXX-er method

I've used this method with 3 spinners and has been bomber for me. 210lbs and 25 foot cliffs

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I would just install all screws with fiberglass and slow set marine epoxy per the XXX-er method
    +1. If you are careful, the fiberglass may not be needed but I'd at least have some on hand.

I've reused pivot holes and bindings on at least 4 pairs of skis without the screw keeper issue you refer to. But if it's a problem, you can always take the screws out of the binding and gently drill the plastic to make more room for the screws.

Also used west systems g-flex epoxy with chopped steel wool mixed in. Works like a champ for me.

Just seems like it would be so easy to cross thread without positive feel which the keepers seem to prevent. Did you just thread them in and hope they lined up or what?

Thanks for the input guys. I figured that’s the response I’d get. I’m still a ski mount newb (have done 2 pairs) so this shit still makes me nervous.

Just seems like it would be so easy to cross thread without positive feel which the keepers seem to prevent. Did you just thread them in and hope they lined up or what?
    That's what I've always done. Have reused pivot holes at least 4 times and have only had 1 or 2 spinners, which I've successfully fixed with chopped up steel wool and epoxy.

Thanks for the input guys. I figured that’s the response I’d get. I’m still a ski mount newb (have done 2 pairs) so this shit still makes me nervous.

You have it right, use the back-screw method you mentioned and hand tighten. I've had 1 screw cross thread, but not worried about it because of the epoxy and steel wool.

So epoxy and fiberglass even if no spinners? Just make that the plan? I wonder how a pre-used hole is much different than a tapped hole as far as installation goes in which install would be done with nothing but wood glue.

Pretty sure my epoxy is overkill, but it's not much hassle and it gives me peace of mind. When you get those threads lined up, the screws just roll in like the holes are tapped.

Cool. Maybe I’ll drill some holes in a 2x4 and do a couple trial runs before the real deal.

FG & epoxy is best practices. if you mess around with remounts even a little at some point you will want slowset 2 part epoxy and some filler ... get it before you actualy need it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Any marine slow set epoxy will do? I have some FG already.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    I've reused pivot holes and bindings on at least 4 pairs of skis without the screw keeper issue you refer to. But if it's a problem, you can always take the screws out of the binding and gently drill the plastic to make more room for the screws.

Also used west systems g-flex epoxy with chopped steel wool mixed in. Works like a champ for me.
    I don't remember screw keepers on the two pairs of Pivot 14s I mounted a couple of years ago, but I don't see a problem with drilling them out so the screws turn freely.

Another challenge with Pivots is finagling the half-moon/brake assembly so you can feed the screws cleanly into the holes (perpendicular to the ski). The problem lies in the half-moon / brake assembly being cocked which tends to tilt the screws.

Others may have adopted simpler techniques, but here's how I address this:

• Support the tip and tail to raise the ski 3-4" above the bench.
    • Get a small clamp to hold the half-moon / brakes down.
    • Install the two rear screws - fairly tight but not to their final tightness.
    • Install the two front screws.
    • Tighten all of the screws

The above technique should allow you to feed the screws fairly cleanly and perpendicular to the ski.

If you have a questionable hole or two, then, yes to FG/epoxy, helicoils, inserts, etc.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-02-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Yeah now that you mention it I remember having some “fun” with the brakes in previous mounts. Need to look at that closer.

Mounted a pair of Black Diamond Helio Recon 105 today for a buddy with some Radical 2's he got for super cheap. Very nice looking skis, I have to say. Total weight with bindings 2530 grams per ski. Stated length of 185 cm is actually spot on. Nice.

Bindings have 120 mm brakes, but Dynafits stow away nicely, so they fit just fine.

Name:	IMG_20200403_195953.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	323470

forgot to post of my great success in this thread. I had never done this before, but thanks to Boissal for the template + skimoco for the drill bits...

Name:	solis-2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	323472

with the orphaned Bro doing its part as a test mount ski, and some TP for your viewing pleasure

Name:	solis-1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	323473

Name:	solis-3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	843.5 KB 
ID:	323474

Name:	solis-4.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	323475

Name:	solis-5.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	726.1 KB 
ID:	323476

Name:	solis-6.jpg 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	323477

they haven't fallen off yet...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post

Name:	solis-5.jpg 
Size:	726.1 KB 
ID:	323476
    Do you always drop in with your skins on?

Get that Lhasa in the one ski thread and find it a partner.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post

Name:	solis-2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	323472
    Humble brag with all your Toilet Paper AND Paper Towels!

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Do you always drop in with your skins on?

Get that Lhasa in the one ski thread and find it a partner.
    heh, actually dropped a better line but didn't wanna give it away

it's just a lhasa topsheet, a 179 carbon bro actually. I should find it a mate, or give it away, but the topsheet is sweet and I kinda wanna just mount it on the wall above my desk (not the wife's favorite idea)

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Humble brag with all your Toilet Paper AND Paper Towels!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InGtiEXQyF0

Looking to mount/remount a couple pairs of skis due to the whole pandemic thing, but Binding Freedom seems to have stopped all orders for the time being. Anyone have a backup site I can order some inserts and plugs from?

Quote Originally Posted by tdpdx View Post
    Looking to mount/remount a couple pairs of skis due to the whole pandemic thing, but Binding Freedom seems to have stopped all orders for the time being. Anyone have a backup site I can order some inserts and plugs from?

I just successfully ordered some stuff from them