Page 115 of 273 FirstFirst ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 6809
    yeah i don't like high heels either ...holes in the water bed eh ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Are those the Praxis Lhasas?
    7mm? lol, and I thought I was crazy with mount points.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    typicaly some fucking dentist will ask for the aforementioned (flacid ) template, drill all the holes and find something is off

BUT if you mount the heel piece dead center it is mutherfucking dead center,

then mounting the toe piece by ONE screw allows the toe piece to rotate VERY slightly around that screw/pivot to find its happy place BEFORE you drill the second screw which will fix the binding where ever you drilled screw #2

SO if you got the boot clamped down in the binding the toe piece has got to be in the exact right spot to put the heel piece at dead center on the pins

as Dee Hub points out it was standard on the 5 hole verts maybe using the center screw BUT even with one screw being off to the side on a 4 hole Rad toe piece the amount the binding will shift is actualy VERY VERY small

NOT enough to look noticeably cockeyed at the toepiece but at the heel of the boot enough to thro off the alignment of the boot into the pins

A side benefit is that if you are drilling as you go maybe with a pilot holes you got a chance to fix a minor layout fuckup ... before you fuck everything up

BTW this procedure also works for frame bindings so I have used the same method to mount an FR+

also works to get a tele boot heel sitting in the middle of the ski
    So I learned something about the Hawx Xtd. The toe pin holes are not perfectly perpendicular to center line. I did the toe hole approach and I inadvertently created a left and a right ski. It’s minor, and NBD, but happened with both skis. The outside boot hole is a millimeter back from the inside. It’s visible if you look at the boot too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    made my shop rat ass smile
    i upgraded my drill

and mounted this chicks skis for her
    Broken YouTube we want to see

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    So I learned something about the Hawx Xtd. The toe pin holes are not perfectly perpendicular to center line. I did the toe hole approach and I inadvertently created a left and a right ski. It’s minor, and NBD, but happened with both skis. The outside boot hole is a millimeter back from the inside. It’s visible if you look at the boot too.

More often than not, this is the case with tech fittings. However, it sounds like the Atomic alignment jig might be getting pretty damn worn.

Broke out these old favorites for another round of fun. Had some old FT-12's laying around. Figured why not for early season skinning missions, ie, rock skinning. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Daddy Top.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	950.6 KB 
ID:	302040 First I had to find space around the three other previous mounts. Amazingly they ended up being on the line.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Daddy Final.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	302041 Finished project. One spinner in the heal to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Broke out these old favorites for another round of fun. Had some old FT-12's laying around. Figured why not for early season skinning missions, ie, rock skinning. First I had to find space around the three other previous mounts. Amazingly they ended up being on the line.
    Finished project. One spinner in the heal to deal with.
    Nice work! Are those dowels sticking up there? What do you do to seal it off from the elements or do you just leave the exposed wood?

What glue do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Nice work! Are those dowels sticking up there? What do you do to seal it off from the elements or do you just leave the exposed wood?

What glue do you use?
    Bamboo cooking skewers and lot of Elmer's glue. But don't listen to me, I'm kindof a hack. But seriously though, the cooking skewer tip I read about in this thread. I think maybe XXX'er?

Question (disclaimer: I'm not doing this myself - just asking because I see this in buy-sell a lot): If you have the same BSL and bindings as skis that already have holes, do people generally post that info so you can go into the same holes? Is that generally safe as long as you don't strip the threads and re-glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    Question (disclaimer: I'm not doing this myself - just asking because I see this in buy-sell a lot): If you have the same BSL and bindings as skis that already have holes, do people generally post that info so you can go into the same holes? Is that generally safe as long as you don't strip the threads and re-glue?
    I think most people on here will say its safe to reuse holes, you can also put in inserts if you're worried about screws spinning. I don't think a shop will reuse holes though

I'll always use an insert if reusing holes. It's so easy to spin a screw on the second try IMO especially with many mfgrs using poplar and softer wood cores. YMMV.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    i will reuse holes, if you can crank the screw down then its like a brand new hole right

but if you are really worried chop up fibreglass matt into 1/2" pieces, mix up with 24 hr epoxy ( not too epoxy rich ) push the mix into the holes with a nail, run the screws in, after the epoxy cures those holes will be good as new

if yer really worried about spinners or even if you have a spinner just run the screws in and stop before they spin, let cure for a couple days and crank the screws down

fi you can crank the screws down after a day then thats pretty much like screwing into a brand new hole right ?

Other folks on TGR have done this and it worked for them

^ What he said. Have done that several times with no ill effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pabst View Post
    Bamboo cooking skewers and lot of Elmer's glue. But don't listen to me, I'm kindof a hack. But seriously though, the cooking skewer tip I read about in this thread. I think maybe XXX'er?
    yeah I discovered cooking skewers are the exact perfect size for filling binding holes, I needed something and they were in a kitchen drawer

I wouldn't count on a bamboo skewer to remount a binding screw into and i would use epoxy

I once tried hardwood dowel from the HW store with gorrila glue, the hardwood dowel was not quite big enough but i figured it wouldn't be a problem, the next day the expanding GG had puked the piece's of dowel up out of the holes and onto the ski top ... pretty funny

Somewhere, likely in this thread, some maggot enginerd did a pull out test comparing virgin holes and reused holes and determined that the reused ones were as tight as the virgin ones as long as they aren't stripped. Inserts are great if you're gonna be swapping bindings frequently (or seasonally) between multiple skis.

Used holes as tight as virgin holes?

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I thought this was the “mount your own fucking skis” thread. Am I mistaken?

The point is that pullout strength is not diminished by threads in the holes as long as they’re not stripped. A lot of people tap holes after they’re drilled, which is essentially the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Somewhere, likely in this thread, some maggot enginerd did a pull out test comparing virgin holes and reused holes and determined that the reused ones were as tight as the virgin ones as long as they aren't stripped. Inserts are great if you're gonna be swapping bindings frequently (or seasonally) between multiple skis.
    Awesome that's the kinda shit I'm looking for. Thanks Jack!

drill, ski, epoxy problems.

Mounted my own friggin binders. Look pivot 12 to black crows. Just wanted to add that I clamped my cambered skis flat to the bench and that made life easier.
    Also that the forward pressure setting was correct based on the little indicator, but then my boot sort of moved around and I thought the mount was frigged and loose and the holes would wallow during the day and I freaked but it turns out not enough forward pressure.

Now I want to do the inserts on a pair of skis so I can also swap for touring tech clamps while on a trip and not bring the second pair of skis.

Inserts seem kind of pricey... They should be sold in packs for a pair of skis. 8*2

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191109_121033.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	302443

Mounted my own fucking Citadels. Inserts for Jesters and now Radicals.

Shoulda mounted my own f'n skis.
    I don't have the tools or the brains.

Shop mounted one stick on the line, the other stick more than +1 from the line.
    Now telling me that 1cm minimum between holes means my choices now are -2 or +3 if i want them equal.

if I wanted a f'd up mount, I woulda mounted my own f'n skis.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post

Now telling me that 1cm minimum between holes means my choices now are -2 or +3 if i want them equal.

If the ski that’s messed up is mounted more than 1cm in front of the line, shouldn’t they be able to move that mount to the line and still maintain 1cm between holes?

FWIW I don’t follow the 1cm between holes guideline and I’m still alive

Either way sounds like they owe you a pair of skis

ETA mount your own fuckin skis next time

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post

tell the shop they can mount you closer to +0.0cm if they give you new skis, or maybe they give you a different binding model that dodges the holes (and is a binding model that you approve), or maybe the shop's very best employee can find a better way to avoid hole conflicts by using your same old skis and bindings, but this time with willingness to move an adjustable heel away from holes and then adjusting the mounted heel to compensate for a mispositioned heel mount.
    "Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality."
    Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by nwslider View Post
    If the ski that’s messed up is mounted more than 1cm in front of the line, shouldn’t they be able to move that mount to the line and still maintain 1cm between holes?

FWIW I don’t follow the 1cm between holes guideline and I’m still alive

Either way sounds like they owe you a pair of skis

ETA mount your own fuckin skis next time

-They say one whole cm of untouched based between holes. edge to edge. So maybe not quite +3? Who knows exactly where it lands when all said and done.
    I know plenty of folks who don't follow the 1cm rule and also didn't perish from it.

-I'd rather not mount my own f'n skis for the first time on a remount on a shop mistake on brand new skis, 'bending' hole proximity advice. What could go wrong.

-They are willing to buy new skis if it comes to that. Rather avoid.

-Yeah. Seriously. Mount my own f'n skis.