Page 208 of 275 FirstFirst ... 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 6863
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Question for those who mount their own fucking DPS Pure skis:

My gf just picked up a pair of older Yvettes and behind the heel it says to use a 7.5mm bit with a screw length of 6.5mm max presumably because it’s a thin carbon ski. I measured the existing screws that were in there though and they’re all ~8mm aside from the furthest back two on the heels. Probably a stupid question but should I just follow instructions and use a junior bit with short screws for all the holes, or just the two the furthest back? I don’t own a 7.5mm bit but can buy or borrow one

Also is the consensus to use epoxy for carbon vs other glue? I usually use Roo clear for bindings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I mounted a similar ski with pivots last season for my wife.

After discussing with Marshal I just used the standard alpine bit and screws. We concluded that the thin profile only really comes into play for really long mounting patterns like a frame binding. The best way to tell is to mark the mount pattern and eyeball the screws head set flush with the top sheet along the sidewall to see if you have the thickness to accommodate the hardware.

I’ve always used epoxy for pure carbon mounts, but that’s not to say something else won’t work. I think the goal is something non-water-soluble that will bond and seal the carbon fiber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63427086951__12178686-2D24-465F-B66B-C8D7D09A5DBD.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	395652

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    If you ever can get your hands on an old telemark jig, such as Black Diamond's, it works great as a center line tool. Since those bindings are discontinued, the jig has become cheap. You just use the holes for the heel piece, which slides lengthwise of the jig, to make 3 or 4 marks along your ski, and then draw the line connecting them.
    Yall are way over complicating this.
    1. Find a buddy with a 3D printer.
    2. Buy him a beer, actually more ideal is fourloko or king cobra
    3. Print this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4744005
    4. Get wasted
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Did the thing!

Attachment 395637

First time with a baby on the front!
    Attachment 395638

Turned out great!
    Attachment 395639
    Attachment 395640

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    A little heavy on the up, but I bet that makes for a killer side country setup!

I’ve had my kids mount a lot of their own skis, but never mounted skis with my kids attached to me! Good work!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Did the thing!

Attachment 395637

Attachment 395638

Turned out great!
    Attachment 395639
    Attachment 395640

"Take out that pacifier and hold this bit for a second."

Nicely done.

Did the thing!

Attachment 395637

Attachment 395638

Turned out great!
    Attachment 395639
    Attachment 395640

Bro you're making the rest of us look like chumps...Cast mount with paper template, hand drill, baby on board...tips to the left... Solid work!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Bro you're making the rest of us look like chumps...Cast mount with paper template, hand drill, baby on board...tips to the left... Solid work!

+1. Amazing work.

Question for the collective. On one of my mounts the other day I felt like I might have had a spinner. I didn't go crazy on it, and I left it to cure upside down with gflex for 72 hours. I just tested the screw again and it seems solid now - I put a decent amount of torque on the screw and it won't budge. Am I gonna die or do I need to redo the mount?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    +1. Amazing work.

Question for the collective. On one of my mounts the other day I felt like I might have had a spinner. I didn't go crazy on it, and I left it to cure upside down with gflex for 72 hours. I just tested the screw again and it seems solid now - I put a decent amount of torque on the screw and it won't budge. Am I gonna die or do I need to redo the mount?

Don’t touch it again and fuggggedaboutdit.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    A little heavy on the up, but I bet that makes for a killer side country setup!

I’ve had my kids mount a lot of their own skis, but never mounted skis with my kids attached to me! Good work!
    Exactly, doubt I’ll tour much on it, but perfect when traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    "Take out that pacifier and hold this bit for a second."

Nicely done.
    The key is finding things they are able to help with early haha.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post

Haha, with snow falling I had to interrupt my dad of daddy daycare to mount these suckers up.

^^^^^
    Good on ya SkiLyft.
    _________

Glad it helped. It's a very straight forward and efficient method. Where's the pics of the completed project?

Finally, new snow this AM and a LOT more this weekend for back door skiing! How's it looking your way?

Quote Originally Posted by juanrogera View Post
    Big thanks to Alpinord at SlideWright for sending this measuring/centering sticker with my recent order. It prompted me to pick up a new straight edge and some cheap-o vernier calipers. I find this method faster and more accurate than the folded-paper method.

Mounted up these bad ass BBR's last night... threads tapped by hand, ski tips facing opposite directions, using a high-powered drill one-handed like I meant it.

Attachment 395574

Attachment 395575
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Tips to the left!
    Killer setup man! BMT109s are amazing skis - rediculously fun.Too bad their price took a significant increase this year due to the covid driven hike in price of carbon. Their carbon heavy construction (unlike a lot of "carbon" touring skis that just run stringers) that makes them ski so well is now even more expensive to produce.

I wonder how long the BMTs will remain in the lineup - in spite of both the 90s and 109s being spectacular skis.

Did the thing! Turned out great!
    Super solid travel ski / one-ski quiver there SkiLyft.

I actually parted ways with my pair last week, together with a pair of Shifts. I would have done the same as you if I had kept mine in rotation - such a good setup, alas the 182 is not like the 192.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    duck camo mtns
    Very nice sticks!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Don't mind the moving junk.

Tips to the left!

mounting up your fuckin own sticks
    all coviod vacine sick
    in a clusterfuck setting

them magnets come in handy on them
    lot o option jigs
    thank dog they puts the cheat sheets in every box
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    mounting up your fuckin own sticks
    all coviod vacine sick
    in a clusterfuck setting

them magnets come in handy on them
    lot o option jigs
    thank dog they puts the cheat sheets in every box
    Thanks sfb!! Yeah the magnets are the best trick. Don't have to guess about mount holes with them when I leave my bench to grab another beer or whatever.

And kid-kapow - I now have bmt94s, bmt109s, and vwerks katanas. Most I paid for any of them was $500 (new, the bmt109s).

Question for you guys: when I got the vwerks, the original owner said that there was one mount for kingpins, but when I pulled them there were two. I'd like to put tectons in their place (not a fan of kingpins), and if I can reuse two of the toe holes for kingpins, it'll work. Kingpins are supposedly 38mm, Tectons are 39.5mm, but when I visually like them up they look damn close. Can I reuse those two holes without trouble? What's the strongest way of strengthening the other hole conflicts, in case I'm close on them?

And kid-kapow - I now have bmt94s, bmt109s, and vwerks katanas. Most I paid for any of them was $500 (new, the bmt109s).

Question for you guys: when I got the vwerks, the original owner said that there was one mount for kingpins, but when I pulled them there were two. I'd like to put tectons in their place (not a fan of kingpins), and if I can reuse two of the toe holes for kingpins, it'll work. Kingpins are supposedly 38mm, Tectons are 39.5mm, but when I visually like them up they look damn close. Can I reuse those two holes without trouble? What's the strongest way of strengthening the other hole conflicts, in case I'm close on them?
    Nice - re quiver and price. I actually much prefer BMT109s (superb ski) to KVWs (great skis, just too torsionally rigid and mount point way too far back). I've bought all of my various V Werks skis at similar discounts or better

Sure - give it a go - 1.5mm ain't much. I would just tighten the two other screws completely snug first if you can to ensure proper alignment and then screw the other two, narrower footprint screws down a bit by bit alternately.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Nice - re quiver and price. I actually much prefer BMT109s (superb ski) to KVWs (great skis, just too torsionally rigid and mount point way too far back). I've bought all of my various V Werks skis at similar discounts or better

Sure - give it a go - 1.5mm ain't much. I would just tighten the two other screws completely snug first if you can to ensure proper alignment and then screw the other two, narrower footprint screws down a bit by bit alternately.
    yeah the plan is to have the bmts as dedicated touring sticks (both pairs), and the katana's as a 50/50 ski.

good to know re: their mount point. i might just forgo reusing holes and put them as far forward as is possible.

if the bmt109 is half as good as the bmt94 i'll be beyond stoked. those little skis punch well above their weight class, outperforming their waist width and specs in all conditions.

Did the thing!

Attachment 395637

Attachment 395638

Turned out great!
    Attachment 395639
    Attachment 395640

That kid is pretty good with a drill. Nice!
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I'm convinced matching skis with bindings is like playing dress-up for ski nerds.

Name:	20211205_213313.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	865.4 KB 
ID:	395794

Name:	20211207_171436~2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	395795

Quote Originally Posted by juanrogera View Post
    Big thanks to Alpinord at SlideWright for sending this measuring/centering sticker with my recent order. It prompted me to pick up a new straight edge and some cheap-o vernier calipers. I find this method faster and more accurate than the folded-paper method.

Mounted up these bad ass BBR's last night... threads tapped by hand, ski tips facing opposite directions, using a high-powered drill one-handed like I meant it.

Attachment 395574

Attachment 395575
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    I'm convinced matching skis with bindings is like playing dress-up for ski nerds.

Name:	20211205_213313.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	865.4 KB 
ID:	395794

Name:	20211207_171436~2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	395795
    and I'm here for it

Those MB protos are sick.

I have Johnny Drama to thank for those. I knew I had to have them

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Glad it helped. It's a very straight forward and efficient method. Where's the pics of the completed project?

Finally, new snow this AM and a LOT more this weekend for back door skiing! How's it looking your way?
    Taos and my local slope are still looking quite bare. Hopefully this incoming storm cycle delivers. Pictures of the completed mount below... apparently I have some work to do if I want to keep up with Brasso on the matchy-matchy mounts.

Name:	IMG_1927.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	638.5 KB 
ID:	395823

That's a great looking setup. Ain't much to do around here except dick around with skis indoors. Hoping that changes after this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Another one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just mounted my own f*cking skis, will catch up with beer tonight!
    Thanks to the TGR forums, my mom, my boot fitter... It would not have been possible without you!

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	513.6 KB 
ID:	396067

tips left, btw.

I mounted up a pair of skis for Mrs skibummin today. These will be going under the Christmas tree. I used another 3d printed jig that I modified from rfconroy. I took some photos this time too.

This is the ski center finding tool we've talked about before. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4744005

Printed with 8mm holes, the jig is the perfect size for standard ski drill bits. It acts as a drill guide and keep the bit vertical

Time for beer.
    Last edited by skibummin; 12-10-2021 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibummin View Post
    I mounted up a pair of skis for Mrs skibummin today. These will be going under the Christmas tree. I used another 3d printed jig that I modified from rfconroy. I took some photos this time too.

Yall have no idea how stoked this makes me!
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net