Page 2 of 274 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Folding paper and marking only two points?
    One a few inches ahead of the toe, one a few inches behind the heel. Draw a line between them with a straightedge.

Hey everyone, I was wondering if there are any boulder, co, area mags that mount their own skis, and would be willing to mount, or help me mount two pairs of skis?
    I'd rather not pay almost $100 to have it done at base and edge or ski deals, and don't have my own tools.

I will compensate, but sorry, no beer. I'm not 21...

Thanks!

I love where this thread has gone.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I no longer bother with a center line, as it is very difficult to do perfectly. Instead I use digital calipers to triple check the distance of each potential hole (black dots on paper templates) to the ski edge. If opposite holes are equidistant to the ski edge the binding is centered.

OK, I'll contribute something more than douche-baggery...

I pick two spots on the ski and use digital calipers to measure the width edge to edge (not the topsheet). I then approximately halve that number and lock the caliper jaws. Then put on arm of the calipers on the left edge and use the other arm to make a scratch in some masking tape that is running down the approximate centre of the ski. Repeat the same process on the ridge edge (again, not the topsheet). These marks are very rarely in the exact same spot because my calipers jaws are only set to roughly half of the ski width.

With a location in front and behind the binding location, draw a line with a straightedge that goes through these tape scratches. This is quick and gets me within 1mm (good enough for me) without trying too hard.

If you are in the Anchorage AK area, my backyard shop has all the tools to drill, tap and mount Rossignol/Look bindings. I even have jigs for fat skis to go with my skinny race jig and junior jig...

No Vermont Tester, so you are on your own for DIN testing. beer appreciated, but good will taken as well...

cheers,

Ira
    www.RoosterSkier.com Ready for snow once again! (like I ever was not ready...)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I pick two spots on the ski and use digital calipers to measure the width edge to edge (not the topsheet). I then approximately halve that number and lock the caliper jaws. Then put on arm of the calipers on the left edge and use the other arm to make a scratch in some masking tape that is running down the approximate centre of the ski. Repeat the same process on the ridge edge (again, not the topsheet). These marks are very rarely in the exact same spot because my calipers jaws are only set to roughly half of the ski width.With a location in front and behind the binding location, draw a line with a straightedge that goes through these tape scratches. This is quick and gets me within 1mm (good enough for me) without trying too hard.
    You can also take some calipers and set them to roughly 3/4 the width of the ski, then hold them on either edge and scribe an arc (ie. scratch the topsheet slightly) with the other side of the calipers - the spot where the two arcs intersect is the center. Be sure the distance setting on the calipers remains the same for both arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I pick two spots on the ski and use digital calipers to measure the width edge to edge (not the topsheet). I then approximately halve that number and lock the caliper jaws. Then put on arm of the calipers on the left edge and use the other arm to make a scratch in some masking tape that is running down the approximate centre of the ski. Repeat the same process on the ridge edge (again, not the topsheet). These marks are very rarely in the exact same spot because my calipers jaws are only set to roughly half of the ski width.
    I do exactly the same besides that I use a magic marker and don't scratch anything.

Centering rulers and combination squares also work well to quickly find center. Here is a printable centering ruler that can be used as is after trimming or tape one end to a rigid backing like a scraper or straight edge.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-01-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Updated PDF
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You can also take some calipers and set them to roughly 3/4 the width of the ski, then hold them on either edge and scribe an arc (ie. scratch the topsheet slightly) with the other side of the calipers - the spot where the two arcs intersect is the center. Be sure the distance setting on the calipers remains the same for both arcs.
    Nice... I like this idea!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i just got a special shipment of wasatch powderskis colored
    SOUL HOLE PLUGS $4.20 per mount
    special pripitory snowsliding SOUL makes these a must for the mount at home crowd
    group buy details soon
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'll take some purple nurple.
    watch out for snakes

And then there is the simplicity and accuracy of magnets and a true bar to find center:

Name:  center-rule.jpg
Views: 14135
Size:  346.9 KB

...or calipers and a true bar:

Name:  center-rule-calipers.jpg
Views: 13349
Size:  317.2 KB
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-01-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Learned my lesson yesterday on mounting your own binding. Both FKS toes are not flush with the top sheet. You can see all the through; easily several mm of clearance with one toe being visible crooked from left to right. Rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Learned my lesson yesterday on mounting your own binding.
    What lesson was that?

What lesson was that?
    Really? In the context of this thread I need answer that? Mount your own bindings.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    What lesson was that?

or don't try this at home????
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Pretty easy to pull the toes off, hit the holes with a countersink or razor blade, and screw them back in . . .

Ok, so you've found the center line, that's easy to do a number of ways, but my experience is that when I actually draw the line between the two marks it ends up being slightly off. In other words, finding the two points is easy enough, but drawing a line between them with sub millimeter precision is surprisingly easy to fuck up of one end, by a millimeter or two. And I'll be double checking with calipers anyway. So why not skip the center line all together?

Pretty easy to pull the toes off, hit the holes with a countersink or razor blade, and screw them back in . . .
    I take volcanos off with a hammer and chisel. A couple quick whacks and everything is flush.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Ok, so you've found the center line, that's easy to do a number of ways, but my experience is that when I actually draw the line between the two marks it ends up being slightly off. In other words, finding the two points is easy enough, but drawing a line between them with sub millimeter precision is surprisingly easy to fuck up of one end, by a millimeter or two. And I'll be double checking with calipers anyway. So why not skip the center line all together?
    It provides a simple benchmark. By taping a centerline based template to it, you can then remeasure at the template edges and nudge the template as needed.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Yes, this is true. To the shop's credit, there is no volcanoing (is that a word? Whatever, I just invented it.) The binding plate is just too far above the top sheet. Easily fixable.

Mainly, I just wanted to add a bunch of noise to this thread. Gnar

^^^^^
    Yep, that was noise alright.

Sounded like you were complaining that you botched a home mount.

Nope. Good.

MYOFB!!!

HAHA.... Love this thread. I mount Upwards of 300 skis a year and from all that I have been through as in fuck ups; Not paying attention, hung over as shit there is one thing that I have learned is don't swear 2mm. It is not gonna fuck with your skiing at all.

Chill buddies it, its not like you are flying into outer space its a pair of skis.

But anyone else have to mount any BBR's!! I was stressing after mounting cause the binding does not look center at all when checking teh binding position against the ski!! Small freak out ensued while I was frantically looking for the calipers on my messy as work bench. But Salomon being the freaks they are printed the parallel yellow lines on the outside of the graphics in different thicknesses. Not funny after mounting a 600 euro ski.

But I am a cheater cause I have a wall full of jigs. I still mount dynafits freestyle though.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post

or don't try this at home????
    Thanks for that, BTW. A long time favorite......which often reminds me of:

Cranking the volume at 11:20 is a rule I have.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-01-2011 at 03:16 PM.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com