Page 246 of 275 FirstFirst ... 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 6863

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

I just don’t trust GG for any sort of ski use - repairs or mounting

I used to always use epoxy for ski mounts but now I use the SVST glue unless there’s something wrong with the holes
    I always use some sort of epoxy for repairs, mostly Hardman epoxy I get from SlideWright. I use the blue general purpose for most repairs. I have used the machinable epoxy for fucked up or overlapping holes. I carry a few blister packs of the quick set in my backcountry fix it kit and have been able to remount a ski with a dodgy screw, as well as fix a delam in the field.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

were you actulay out on piste gluing up a ski or in a hut ?

I havent used GG for many years after the bottle dried up

I had a guy come in to fix my cement foundation with a 2 part ureathane that i believe is much like GG and that stuff was amazing the way it went after the water and sealed up the wall

Now days I just use 2-part slowset and it seems to last forever in the bottle and i think you want slowset for gluing in tele binding
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

backcountry once with loose screws - I remounted two tele bindings with loose screws and one pulling out - filled most holes with steel wool I had for fire starter - one I added snapped off matchstick too since the screw was pulling out - everything worked and he never did any further repair

another was in camp on a multi day trip - glued down a tip smash / delam - clamped it with my needle nose vice grips - that one held up over the couple more days we were out in the world

I got myself and another time a buddy out using voile straps ( you need 2) but I always wondered how epoxy would set in cold weather

it worked

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Question - when would you do a base patch instead of a weld? I have a core shot I repaired with a ski mender gun, roughly about 1" x 1/2". It seems to have bonded to the ski base material around the repair, but not the wood core (it has a hollow tap when tapped with a fingernail).
    Any time there is edge damage, composite delam or even damage to the composite layer under the base. It can be hard to fill/seal the air pockets created by torn fibers. Add heat and the air in those pockets wants to expand under your repair. You can try the metal grip as Alpinord suggests, it may work, it may not. Even in the repair photo that was posted you can see a tiny pinhole where air exhausted out through the repair material.
    Ski usage might also be a determinate. Welds are not as hard and can start to 'dish' out(which is why welding rod is better than the wax content repair sticks), especially in skis used in harder snow conditions. Also patches are stronger. Most core shots happen underfoot. A patch definitely holds up better to subsequent rock shots. I've got skis that have patches within patches. Also, never weld above a repaired area as the heat can damage the bonds of the repair, especially if the repair is fresh

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Any time there is edge damage, composite delam or even damage to the composite layer under the base. It can be hard to fill/seal the air pockets created by torn fibers. Add heat and the air in those pockets wants to expand under your repair. You can try the metal grip as Alpinord suggests, it may work, it may not. Even in the repair photo that was posted you can see a tiny pinhole where air exhausted out through the repair material.
    Ski usage might also be a determinate. Welds are not as hard and can start to 'dish' out(which is why welding rod is better than the wax content repair sticks), especially in skis used in harder snow conditions. Also patches are stronger. Most core shots happen underfoot. A patch definitely holds up better to subsequent rock shots. I've got skis that have patches within patches. Also, never weld above a repaired area as the heat can damage the bonds of the repair, especially if the repair is fresh
    Good points. YMMV and as with everything several variables come into play. Dealer’s choice on patching vs welded repairs.

FWIW, that was more of a ‘pot hole’, equivalent to a small ding after a couple weld & clean up cycles. When welding, air can bubble through and you can get some tear out while removing excess material. It may require more than a couple rounds to get it done. Aesthetically, that repair was less than perfect but absolutely sound and lasted until the skis died. Patching would have been more involved and possibly ‘better’, but at the end of the day, not required.

In this video, the weld along the edge never failed after lots of vertical and over at least a few years. I do not think there was a lot of very abrasive snows which very well could have torn this one out.

https://www.slidewright.com/soldering-iron-base-repair/

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Gotcha^^^
    Pics can sometimes be misleading

Wasn't sure where to post this as I don't think it deserves its own thread. Pivot 12 GW mounted for a BSL of 315, will I be able to fit my 327 boot? I'm finding differing values for how much a pivot can be adjusted but I'm thinking its not going to work.

^^ I'm going with not likely unless the the pivot binding is set at it shortest possible BSL. I've been able to go +/- 5 when intially set to the middle of its range, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Wasn't sure where to post this as I don't think it deserves its own thread. Pivot 12 GW mounted for a BSL of 315, will I be able to fit my 327 boot? I'm finding differing values for how much a pivot can be adjusted but I'm thinking its not going to work.
    Id say you will need to remount. The best I have been able to do is +6 from center. You might be able to cram your boot into the binding but you will be hanging by one thread and the forward pressure on your toe will be all fucked up. Also, the arms that come off the turntable will be tight against the heel sides of your boot.

I have mounted many of my own fucking skis with alpine clamps but no tech bindings until today.

The Moment paper template and instructions were great and the Blizzard Zero G 95 has center marks on the top sheet. They must read this thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675459768.380805.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	445972

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1675459781.416324.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	445973

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Puuuurtty
    watch out for snakes

got some unmounted bodacious 196 that i finally have the urge to mount up, but i want to go demo bindings to play around with the mount point a bit before committing to look pivots.
    what's a good demo binding whose mount pattern won't interfere with the eventual look pivots?

Anyone have an sth2 jig in Seattle I can borrow or should I just go for the paper template option like normal?

I have some insert sized holes to plug, which is something I haven't done before.

I usually use plastic plugs and waterproof wood glue for regular screw holes.

I follow this thread and so know the answer is bamboo skewers and epoxy.. but wtf is a bamboo skewer and where do I source them? Are we literally talking about the things from the grocery store for kebabs?

Thanks folks.

yes

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I have some insert sized holes to plug, which is something I haven't done before.

I follow this thread and so know the answer is bamboo skewers and epoxy.. but wtf is a bamboo skewer and where do I source them? Are we literally talking about the things from the grocery store for kebabs?

Thanks folks.
    Craft stores will also have skinny (3/16, 1/4, etc.) dowel rods of bamboo or hardwood, or you can find them on Amazon.

or bamboo chopsticks from the Chinese restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Craft stores will also have skinny (3/16, 1/4, etc.) dowel rods of bamboo or hardwood, or you can find them on Amazon.
    Home depot probably has dowels too.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

The BBQ skewers fit regular binding screw holes, inserts would be bigger doweling probably available at a building supply or maybe chopsticks, ?

Hickory golf tees work also, get a costco sized bag of em at Wallymartz.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

Thanks folks.
    Chopsticks, utility knife, and sand paper. Make plug. 'Glue' with epoxy. Shave excess with razor blade.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Ended up at Lowes this afternoon on a totally different mission but picked up a couple of hardwood dowels while I was there. Will get em in my OG Cochise in the next couple of days to fill the big holes before remounting. Thanks guys.