Page 105 of 275 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 6863
    Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Mounted up some x88's for Kopi_red. Sick skis. Attachment 263483
    These skis rip! Kopi will dig them.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Mounted up some x88's for Kopi_red. Sick skis. Attachment 263483
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    These skis rip! Kopi will dig them.
    I'm excited to get these bad boys out on the snow!

It's been years since I had a sub 90 ski in the quiver. Dare I say, my quiver may be complete???

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I'm excited to get these bad boys out on the snow!

It's been years since I had a sub 90 ski in the quiver. Dare I say, my quiver may be complete???
    Those look like killers.

If I skied anything smaller than a 108 these days, they'd be so quick edge to edge that I'd be 4 turns ahead of where I actually was.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I have a pair of Blizzards with older non EPF Barons I'd like to remount with squires. Can I reuse the the Baron holes and plug the extra hole I understand the Baron has over the Royal alpine binders? Can I swap the brakes from Barons to the Squires?

Yes I know Squires are 1. Low Din and 2. Markers but they work for me.
    Definitely not. Check out Knut's templates for those bindings. Depending on BSL and how picky you are about mount point, you might be able to re-use one pair of toe holes, but heel hole width is different and fore-aft spacing of the toe holes is different. Good news is, brakes will swap.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Those look like killers.

If I skied anything smaller than a 108 these days, they'd be so quick edge to edge that I'd be 4 turns ahead of where I actually was.
    I know what you mean. My DDs the last couple of years were Dynastar Pro Riders (lp105) and before that GPOs. Last year I rode a buddy's Monster 88s and the narrow waist combined with the short turn radius took some getting used to. They were so damn quick. After that I knew I needed to get me some of that action.

Mounted my own fucking moment skis. Thanks to all in this thread that took the time to answer questions I had!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6404.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	263563

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nice setup
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by aguo5520 View Post
    Mounted my own fucking moment skis. Thanks to all in this thread that took the time to answer questions I had!

. Well those are ruined.

Better send them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aguo5520 View Post

That work bench seems a bit suspect....

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    That work bench seems a bit suspect....
    Plus the drill looks staged.

Yeah I'm calling BS on this claimed self mount.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Plus the drill looks staged.

Yeah I'm calling BS on this claimed self mount.
    There's no battery in it...?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If we could zoom in to the underfoot area, I'm certain we'd find the remnants of a ski shop sticker.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If we could zoom in to the underfoot area, I'm certain we'd find the remnants of a ski shop sticker.
    Wow, I must have done a great job mounting them.

I did my GF's new pair of skis today w/ standard pozi screws. I forgot how pain-free it can be. My usual mounts involve inserts, dodging old holes/plugging old holes with wood, endless tapping. From printing template to done it was under an hour, probably closer to 30.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    My usual mounts involve inserts, dodging old holes/plugging old holes with wood, endless tapping.
    That poor woman!

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    That poor woman!
    dying. lol.

Big thank you to all that have contributed. First time with inserts and all good. A couple of pictures for my process on a pair of Quixote from GS.

Using calipers from the bottom side with a centering ruler taped to a larger scraper.

Name:	IMG_8052.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	263980
    Using a square off the edge and dimple to mark center line. Back check the line with straight tape pull from top.

Name:	IMG_8051.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	263981
    Mark CL three times and connect marks to show CL down middle of ski

Name:	IMG_8050.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	263984
    I swear by templates printed on transparency film. Super easy to double check previous mounts.

Name:	IMG_8054.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	263985
    Using sharp awl to center punch

Name:	IMG_8055.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	263986
    Borrowed a drill press since it was inserts and would not do it another way. The Binding Freedom bit needs a stop collar or use the drill press.

Name:	IMG_8096.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	263987
    I used my drill bit guide taping

Name:	IMG_8099.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	263988
    Cleaned the inserts with a bit of acetone. Nice thing is the acetone evaporates if you leave them overnight.

Name:	IMG_8100.JPG 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	263989
    All inserts in with epoxy

Name:	IMG_8102.JPG 
Size:	243.1 KB 
ID:	263990
    Finished up with the rest of family quiver with a set of FKS 18. Eager to test at Whitewater next week and maybe Baldface. Protests are going on the heli for sure.

Name:	IMG_8106.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	272.0 KB 
ID:	263991

Clean work

Dig the transparency hack.

Ive. I like ike the calipers with centering ruler trick.

I couldn't find the exact template but Slidewright has one here - http://www.slidewright.com/Bindings/skicenter.pdf

yup - prob not a great called a new metal ski like this first try - but after some futzing without the right bit....got
    her done. Get the right bit.... and tap. Still -own skis f'ing mounted. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190112_151838.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	264079

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Be bold! I don't ski them with a regular mount. I just do a pilot hole then immediately follow up with the insert do bit.

Re screws...look at your binding then go to the store and look at the m5 machine screw head types. I am positive they have the right ones. There's no magic here: we are screwing metal into wood. Don't be afraid to use a lock-washer either!
    Margotron- thanks for all your posts. Spent hours combing through this treasure trove of a thread this weekend and your posts have been awesome. Definitely going to grab a die at ACE today.

That said, I’m an idiot jong and pretty lost/overwhelmed.

If I have my own skis already mounted for my BSL with Pivot 12s and 14s, and I want to install inserts in them, should I:
    1) remove screws (have BF stuff handy), check threads to make sure they’re good, and then install inserts with GFlex? Or:
    2) remove screws, plug with dowels and GFlex, and start from scratch in a day or two?

Quote Originally Posted by beasttowest View Post
    Margotron- thanks for all your posts. Spent hours combing through this treasure trove of a thread this weekend and your posts have been awesome. Definitely going to grab a die at ACE today.

That said, I’m an idiot jong and pretty lost/overwhelmed.

If I have my own skis already mounted for my BSL with Pivot 12s and 14s, and I want to install inserts in them, should I:
    1) remove screws (have BF stuff handy), check threads to make sure they’re good, and then install inserts with GFlex? Or:
    2) remove screws, plug with dowels and GFlex, and start from scratch in a day or two?
    3) Remove screws (have BF stuff handy), redrill holes with BF bit, tap with BF tap, drop of GFlex in each hole, inserts in, loosely attach bindings with machine screws.

This last step will make sure the inserts are properly aligned while the epoxy cures. You might even want to turn the skis upside down (bases up) while the epoxy cures to make it flows towards the topsheet, to better seal against water intrusion.

Inserts do not have the same outer diameter or thread as the binding screws that are currently in your skis, so it doesn't matter if the binding screw holes in your ski still have good threads. The BF bit will drill these out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    3) Remove screws (have BF stuff handy), redrill holes with BF bit, tap with BF tap, drop of GFlex in each hole, inserts in, loosely attach bindings with machine screws.

This last step will make sure the inserts are properly aligned while the epoxy cures. You might even want to turn the skis upside down (bases up) while the epoxy cures to make it flows towards the topsheet, to better seal against water intrusion.

Inserts do not have the same outer diameter or thread as the binding screws that are currently in your skis, so it doesn't matter if the binding screw holes in your ski still have good threads. The BF bit will drill these out.
    Thanks for setting me straight, toddball. You mention loosely attaching bindings. Obviously need to do that to ensure everything’s working properly. But then shouldn’t I take them off prior to flipping upside & letting the epoxy cure?

Quote Originally Posted by beasttowest View Post
    Thanks for setting me straight, toddball. You mention loosely attaching bindings. Obviously need to do that to ensure everything’s working properly. But then shouldn’t I take them off prior to flipping upside & letting the epoxy cure?
    No, leave the bindings on there. The idea here is for the binding to hold all the screws/inserts at the proper angle in the threads. If your insert can wobble a bit in the ski, and you let the epoxy cure without the binding screwed in, you might end up with an insert out of alignment. No way to correct this once the epoxy is cured.

I'm sure lots of people don't bother with this step. If you are sure you drill your holes dead straight and tap perfectly, you shouldn't need to do it. But if you bung up the threads a bit while tapping, or drill a hole slightly crooked, or even just have soft core material (looking at you Dynafit), this step ensures that when you take a binding off the ski and put it back on, you'll be able to get all the machine screws in. The first insert mount I did was two sets at once in the same pair of skis, and the set that didn't cure with a binding in it was a bit messed up.

Edit: the main disadvantage to leaving the bindings on while the epoxy cures is the binding might end up epoxied to the topsheet. This usually isn't a big deal; you should be able to pry the binding off after taking the screws out without damaging the ski. What is really bad is if you get epoxy on the insert-machine screw thread interface; when you try to take out the screw you end up taking out the insert, too. Don't use too much epoxy!