Page 137 of 275 FirstFirst ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,425 of 6863
    Can't imagine finding the ski's center being so hard. Using a paper template, haven't you geezers found that many of them have a centering scale on each end?? Use it!

Tape the toe and tail piece template together in a straight line for the corresponding bsl, cut a small hole to identify the center mark on skis. Use adhesive tape on template tip and tail end. Start with toe end. Fold template over side of ski, note where the scale folds over the steel edge, repeat on other side until fold on edge match. Tape front end. Move to heel end, repeat folding exercise and tape down. Center punch hole locations through paper template.

This procedure only requires one single mark on ski, the desired boot center location. Stop making unnecessary tools!

using the wrong template, printing it using wrong scale on printer, taping flacid pieces of paper togetehr, having it all shift ... hopefully YMMV but there is > one way to fuckup skinning that cat
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    using the wrong template, printing it using wrong scale on printer, taping flacid pieces of paper togetehr, having it all shift ... hopefully YMMV but there is > one way to fuckup skinning that cat
    And having a centerline drawn on the skis would counter what of the above?

Alright I am starting to invest in my new ski mounting setup but am going all in with a complicated setup and have got a few questions.

I am planning on mounting a new CAST system with a second ski kit for Pivot 18s, on a pair of G3 Carbon Empires, as well as on a pair of Amplid Infrablacks. Both have carbon in 'em so im buying a 4.1x9mm ski binding bit, as well as a 3.6 to just have in the quiver. I then plan on doing quiver killers/binding freedom inserts for the heel pieces. I will purchase a 20 pack of threaded inserts, a tap handle with a binding freedom installation tap, a binding freedom installation drill bit, and a center punch.

Is there a specific screw that i need to purchase to be compatible with either the CAST system or the Binding Freedom inserts? I know that binding freedom makes specific screws, but will I need to buy more for Pivot 18 heels or no?

I also plan on buying a good epoxy to lock the inserts in and to plug up some old holes. Hopefully I will have a veteran with me to help for this, but I am hoping to supply all of my own tools.

Thanks for this insightful thread, just need some more specific advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    And having a centerline drawn on the skis would counter what of the above?
    well you are still going to need to figure out ski center however you do it

so we were talking about mounting with nothing but a t-SQUARE

well you are still going to need to figure out ski center however you do it

so we were talking about mounting with nothing but a t-SQUARE
    My above described method finds the ski center with no tools but the template itself, plus a dot or line on the ski for the chosen boot center. What else was unclear?

If yer worried about taping the toe and heel template pieces crooked, then use the same ruler or straight edge that you intented to connect the ski center dots to verify the straightness of the connected template.

tape it anywhere you are marking holes, even if you cover the whole top of the ski a roll of painters tape is like 2$
    You haven't done much painting lately.

Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

well yeah but we were talking about not needing a template

In any case you hope/assume the template is right, that the scale is perfect, that it didn't shift, that it is the correct scale/size, cuz you are not gona check any thing cuz you arent using any measuring tools ( or maybe now you are ? ) so just drill all them holes and they will be perfect ... thots and prayers eh

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

yeah just cover the binding area

I buy it in 6 roll packs hopefuly for anything but painting

what do you buy it by the foot, are you fucking scottish or something ?

yeah just cover the binding area

I buy it in 6 roll packs hopefuly for anything but painting

what do you buy it by the foot, are you fucking scottish or something ?
    SCOTCH-IRISH

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    Alright I am starting to invest in my new ski mounting setup but am going all in with a complicated setup and have got a few questions.

I am planning on mounting a new CAST system with a second ski kit for Pivot 18s, on a pair of G3 Carbon Empires, as well as on a pair of Amplid Infrablacks. Both have carbon in 'em so im buying a 4.1x9mm ski binding bit, as well as a 3.6 to just have in the quiver. I then plan on doing quiver killers/binding freedom inserts for the heel pieces. I will purchase a 20 pack of threaded inserts, a tap handle with a binding freedom installation tap, a binding freedom installation drill bit, and a center punch.

Is there a specific screw that i need to purchase to be compatible with either the CAST system or the Binding Freedom inserts? I know that binding freedom makes specific screws, but will I need to buy more for Pivot 18 heels or no?

I also plan on buying a good epoxy to lock the inserts in and to plug up some old holes. Hopefully I will have a veteran with me to help for this, but I am hoping to supply all of my own tools.

Thanks for this insightful thread, just need some more specific advice.
    M5 flat head pozi. And yes, you need those for any binding that will ride the ski. I don't know what length off the top of my head. Buy the ones that are made for the job. I haven't seen those locking ridges on the underside elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Probably going to mount a FKS+CAST setup in the upcoming weeks w/ a jigarex+plates.

Anything in particular I should be aware of when mounting this whether it's CAST or FKS related?

I know FKS has minimal BSL adjustment relative to others which is why I ask. Figure the Jigarex may help avoid any issues but want to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Probably going to mount a FKS+CAST setup in the upcoming weeks w/ a jigarex+plates.

Anything in particular I should be aware of when mounting this whether it's CAST or FKS related?

I know FKS has minimal BSL adjustment relative to others which is why I ask. Figure the Jigarex may help avoid any issues but want to double check.
    Setting forward pressure on them is a little fiddlier than some other bindings but it's not rocket surgery. The indicator on the heel kind of sucks and is an unreliable gauge, but there are some good guides on how to do it on here, do a search. Other than that it's not really harder than anything else.

Yeah, I know how to set the forward pressure, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some inane approach to mounting them due to their relative lack of adjustment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post
    Looks like you were shiyterz. You’ve mounted one to the bench. Double ipa no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    HUB Abominable Winter Ale. Most excellent and brewed locally. Seemed fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

No kidding. That shit is expensive. I use regular masking tape.

Has anyone mounted G3 FINDr skis? G3 is saying I should use a 3.5 mm bit, but the graphics on their site show a Titanal mounting plate in the ski, leading me to think I should use a 4.1 mm bit.

Yeah, I know how to set the forward pressure, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some inane approach to mounting them due to their relative lack of adjustment.

Thanks
    To 100% make sure it's right: test mount a 2x4, set forward pressure, measure distance between back toe holes to front heel holes, confirm where you are in the arm adjustment and adjust heel placement if necessary to get back into the middle of the adjustment range.

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    To 100% make sure it's right: test mount a 2x4, set forward pressure, measure distance between back toe holes to front heel holes, confirm where you are in the arm adjustment and adjust heel placement if necessary to get back into the middle of the adjustment range.
    Or measure off an existing mount if you are using the same boots/bindings and measure twice before you drill.

Quote Originally Posted by oetk2 View Post
    The plan was to do a 2x4 mount for sure.

I'll now do this as well.

I did pivots with a paper template no problem. First time mounting bindings myself. Just be careful go slowly.
    As stated I did a lumber mount first and that boosted my confidence.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I read up thread that someone was using acetone to degrease inserts prior to epoxying. Would wife’s nail
    polish work—curious as its already on hand. Acetone based, but not sure if the other “stuff” would render it inappropriate for the job.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2584.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	309584

Quote Originally Posted by dgilligan02 View Post
    I read up thread that someone was using acetone to degrease inserts prior to epoxying. Would wife’s nail
    polish work—curious as its already on hand. Acetone based, but not sure if the other “stuff” would render it inappropriate for the job.

Name:	IMG_2584.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	309584
    Should do fine. There's a bunch of other crap in there, but it's mostly acetone.
    Rubbing alcohol would probably do fine too, though it's not as aggressive as the acetone.

I read somewhere that the human eye is good to 2mm in offset. So centering, leveling etc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

2 of 3 insert jobs completed, thanks much for all the great info in this thread. Dynastar job was on existing holes. Liberty was virgin mount.

Name:	IMG_2585.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	1,013.5 KB 
ID:	309599