Page 9 of 116 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 2883
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where the climate suits my clothes.
    Posts
    4,005
    Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    pretty sure its not the template, but rather variations boot-to-boot in where the center line is marked and the geometry of the toe where it interacts with the binding. I've also seen boots marked as much as 5mm wrong on the actual BSL.
    Huh, I know skis are often marked incorrectly but I never thought of the boots midsole or bsl being off.. makes sense that it could happen I suppose

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,508
    ^^ Boot wear, swappable soles, and manufacturing tolerances all mean that BSLs are rarely the precise number written on the side of the boot.

    In my experience, it's usually within 1 or 2mm, but 5mm is not out of the realm of possibility.

    Boot center marks can vary for similar reasons. Tech fittings, especially, are sometimes farther forward or back on the toe of a boot.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Land of the LSD
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

    Also, I had the midsole of my boot about 7mm in front of the line using Dynalook plates, pivot 14 bindings and 312mm Dynafit Titans while practicing on a 1x4. I moved the template back 7mm for the real mount. The midsole of my titans is now exactly on the manufacturers line. Anyone else noticed similar discrepancies with the paper templates?
    Noticed 7 mm also on the tyrolias. Same problem, but I attributed it to sloppy measuring from my part.

    Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    pretty sure its not the template, but rather variations boot-to-boot in where the center line is marked and the geometry of the toe where it interacts with the binding. I've also seen boots marked as much as 5mm wrong on the actual BSL.
    But hey, I tried the same template with the other boot and I got a 4 mm discrepancy. I'll measure the boots, but I would have never thought of that!

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    off on yet another Tangent
    Posts
    2,700
    Good point Jon.

    Here is a quick and dirty Boot Sole Center Checker. Print, check scale and splice at the boot sole center line.

    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

    SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Missing the whiteroom...
    Posts
    874
    woohoo I did it. Mounted dukes on Jj's using jongdrums template. Money!
    was a bit of a leap of faith and confidence but i have my ticket in rulers, sharpie, masking tape and a drill so i went for it.
    didn't even need to stop for a beer.
    "Dad, I can huck that"

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere else
    Posts
    3,587
    Quote Originally Posted by spotted dogs View Post
    didn't even need to stop for a beer.
    Oh shit... you (didn't) do what?

    I can pretty much guarantee you fucked up if you didn't have a beer during the process.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Washington Grown
    Posts
    250
    The beer stop is part of the template, don't skip steps.

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Missing the whiteroom...
    Posts
    874
    I savoured a couple Shaftesbury coastal cream when I was done....
    "Dad, I can huck that"

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    12,049
    don't have power or money to buy power tools?

    use this to drill and tap


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hand-Drill-Black-Handle.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	127908



    maybe not for skis with metal...

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    monument
    Posts
    5,291
    just mounted a pair of SollyFits on my Lotus120 Pures.

    badda-boom!


    used a solly jig to mark the solly holes (thus assuring a centered mount) and then used those marks to line up the sollyfit plate.

    carbon Lhasa up for plates after dinner.



    PS center punch, then pilot hole drill, then drill.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Where the climate suits my clothes.
    Posts
    4,005
    ^^ what's your setup for teh pilot hole?

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    20sickness
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by spotted dogs View Post
    I savoured a couple Shaftesbury coastal cream when I was done....
    Who is Shaftesbury and why are you sucking sucking his cream

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    monument
    Posts
    5,291
    ... and Lhasas plated as well.

    Silverton here I come!

    Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    ^^ what's your setup for teh pilot hole?
    ^^^ just a small ~ 3/32" drill bit.
    either place tape @ 9mm or cork the bit @ 9mm.

    EDIT: and it really pays to buy a couple of clapped out drill bits from your local ski shop (the built in 9mm collars make drilling dreamy).
    i bought both 3.6 and 4.1 for $5!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    bozone
    Posts
    674
    Got a pic of those drill bits Pluff?

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    monument
    Posts
    5,291
    ^^^ i'll get some posted (probably after the 20th though (Silvy trip ).

    they make drilling really low stress as it's impossible to drill deeper than 9mm when using them.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    11,766
    I like to use a drill press so I can't drill to deep. Got one 2nd hand for cheap. Mounted my Guardians yesterday. Thank jeebus I mounted on a 2X4 first, as some how, in trimming down the paper templates, I cut off the front two and rear two holes Go to do the test mount and am WTF did I do. Reprint the templates and am laughing at myself for being such a dope. Guess I should not have skipped the beer step. Anyways, triple measured everything and it looks like I have a dead center mount with no heel slop some guys have mentioned. Only thing of concern is I can see just a sliver of light between the toe binding mount and the ski. I am afraid I will strip the holes if I tighten the screws more. I did put water proof glue in all the holes, so do you think I am ok? This isn't due to volcanoes, as I trimmed the excess around the holes off.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I like to use a drill press so I can't drill to deep. Got one 2nd hand for cheap. Mounted my Guardians yesterday. Thank jeebus I mounted on a 2X4 first, as some how, in trimming down the paper templates, I cut off the front two and rear two holes Go to do the test mount and am WTF did I do. Reprint the templates and am laughing at myself for being such a dope. Guess I should not have skipped the beer step. Anyways, triple measured everything and it looks like I have a dead center mount with no heel slop some guys have mentioned. Only thing of concern is I can see just a sliver of light between the toe binding mount and the ski. I am afraid I will strip the holes if I tighten the screws more. I did put water proof glue in all the holes, so do you think I am ok? This isn't due to volcanoes, as I trimmed the excess around the holes off.
    If it makes you feel any better, on my first mount I was so stressed out that I didn't realize we had put the ski back on the bench backwards. Two holes drilled before I realized. Not my brightest moment. Lesson I guess is that if I can do this it's not too hard. If you don't have any volcanoes I wouldn't worry too much about a tiny sliver of light.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    997
    Alright, so I need a check on my neurosis. Just got done marking where I'm going to drill for my dynalook plates. I checked that the template was lined up using my calipers, then made tiny pin pricks with a thin center punch. But when I went to measure those marks using the caliper there all off a tiny bit. One whole is a tiny bit over 1/2mm, the rest are under 1/2mm. Toe is off in the opposite direction of the heel, but it should be still less than 1mm off. Because I used such a small center punch I could re-do the marks, but I'm thinking this is close enough. Thoughts?

    Edit: I must be going senile as I asked this question last year, and the resounding answer was that 1/2 mm isn't going to really matter.
    Last edited by bern43; 12-18-2012 at 08:54 PM.

  19. #219
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    14,704
    moar beer
    watch out for snakes

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,271
    I am pretty sure it is in here, but I can't find it. Either that or it is in another mounting thread.

    What's the best way to pull screws out that have been epoxied? They are dynafits with that stupid screw driver Torx-20(?). I fear I am going to strip them.

    If I do strip what's best then?

    Thanks

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vinyl Valley
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    I am pretty sure it is in here, but I can't find it. Either that or it is in another mounting thread.

    What's the best way to pull screws out that have been epoxied? They are dynafits with that stupid screw driver Torx-20(?). I fear I am going to strip them.

    If I do strip what's best then?


    Thanks
    Read somewhere here some folks use a soldering iron to warm up the screw and soften the epoxy for removal.

    Since I don't have a soldering iron I've used a propane torch to heat the tip of an older, beat up #3 phillips. Rest the heated screwdriver tip on the epoxied screw for approximately a minute to soften the epoxy. Then use a #3 posidrive to remove the heated screw. Rinse and repeat.

    No suggestions for stripped screws.

  22. #222
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Back in SEA
    Posts
    9,435
    Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Alright, so I need a check on my neurosis. Just got done marking where I'm going to drill for my dynalook plates. I checked that the template was lined up using my calipers, then made tiny pin pricks with a thin center punch. But when I went to measure those marks using the caliper there all off a tiny bit. One whole is a tiny bit over 1/2mm, the rest are under 1/2mm. Toe is off in the opposite direction of the heel, but it should be still less than 1mm off. Because I used such a small center punch I could re-do the marks, but I'm thinking this is close enough. Thoughts?

    Edit: I must be going senile as I asked this question last year, and the resounding answer was that 1/2 mm isn't going to really matter.
    remeasure and mark them again... since you're doing this yourself, why not do it as close to right as you can? It's the beauty of mounting your own fucking skis - you have no one to blame but yourself!!!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

  23. #223
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    I am pretty sure it is in here, but I can't find it. Either that or it is in another mounting thread.

    What's the best way to pull screws out that have been epoxied? They are dynafits with that stupid screw driver Torx-20(?). I fear I am going to strip them.

    If I do strip what's best then?

    Thanks
    Hold that F'in driver upright and pop the shit out of it with one (maybe 2) blows with a mallet/hammer top side. I mean give it a whale that'll 'bout bust your wrist if you miss. It'll break it lose (kinda like an impact wrench) & then push down hard & untwist.

    The positive thing about Torx (& what makes it superior IMO) is when something "strips" it's usually the wrench and NOT the screw - so just regrind the tip (lightly so you don't kill the hardness) and go at it again.

    ***Wait'll you bass-turds try Torx-Plus... Jezuz!! someday american basic tech will catch up to 21 century...

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,271
    Well the "hammer-drill" worked except on one. I have a stripped screw head and that thing has to come out. Suggestions?

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    off on yet another Tangent
    Posts
    2,700
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    ***Wait'll you bass-turds try Torx-Plus... Jezuz!! someday american basic tech will catch up to 21 century...
    Will it take as long as adopting the metric system?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

    SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •