Page 103 of 275 FirstFirst ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 6863
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    That’d be a ski I’d be after. Nice range of lengths too. What length? Did you weigh them?
    Grinch, sorry to be away so long, the snow has been great here.
    191 length, stiff flex. They were just under ten pounds for the pair; mounted with CAST plates and sth16’s. I’ve got a few days on them now, I’ll bump the Lithic thread shortly with some details for the collective. The short story is that I’m very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Grinch, sorry to be away so long, the snow has been great here.
    191 length, stiff flex. They were just under ten pounds for the pair; mounted with CAST plates and sth16’s. I’ve got a few days on them now, I’ll bump the Lithic thread shortly with some details for the collective. The short story is that I’m very happy.

Ya I see that. Nice pics.

Lots of options with those cohens. Width and length and the protest like design. I’ll stay tuned to the mythic thread. Should be relatively ez to figure weights of a shorter model from yours being similar construction

Alright, so I didn’t mount my skis as this thread says.

I pulled my bindings off to put in BF inserts and noticed that 2 of the 4 binding holes for the heel piece on my skies are basically touching the plugs that were used to fill the holes from the previous mount.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2595.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	261973

Name:	56756280779__B5569758-2DE2-45FB-BD41-8FC94A1FDFD2.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	261974

If I try and do the BF inserts the edge of the insert will basically be in the middle of the plug. Which doesn’t seem safe to me.

What do you guys think? This was the third mount on these skis. Are they salvageable?

Yes. Drill and pull out plugs. Pound in hard wood plugs with epoxy, chisel flush the next day and finally mount however you want.

Quote Originally Posted by roverdoc View Post
    Yes. Drill and pull out plugs. Pound in hard wood plugs with epoxy, chisel flush the next day and finally mount however you want.
    Bingo. Feel like this should be a pinned response in this thread.

... and if you want to get fancy you can slightly countersink after chiseling and cover top of dowel with epoxy to waterproof the core and even more fancy you can add pigment to the epoxy to color match your skis....however very difficult to match red skis

Awesome. Thanks for the help. So drill the old plugs, pound in wood plugs with epoxy, chisel a day later, countersink and cover with epoxy to waterproof. Once that’s done drill the BF holes at the current mounting holes.

Idk about the coloring though, if it looks too good people may start to think I am actually decent at skiing haha.

Haha. I bought a bag of tognar plugs which are nice and already cut down but if you want to save a few bucks bamboo chopsticks etc etc have been mentioned. I eclipsed some holes on my wife moments and the mount into the plugs felt more solid than the original core. no way they are ripping out.

Haha. I bought a bag of tognar plugs which are nice and already cut down but if you want to save a few bucks bamboo chopsticks etc etc have been mentioned. I eclipsed some holes on my wife moments and the mount into the plugs felt more solid than the original core. no way they are ripping out.
    May have to grab some of the tognar plugs then. Was planning to run up to Home Depot and grab a dowel then pound it in. They are only like $0.75

I use blunted wood golf tees for hole plugs. Dremel them off, and you can use them again. Super cheap.

I dab some touch up paint on the surface of the wood plug to seal them - seems to work fine. I use some old automotive touch up paint left over from a car I no longer own.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by powderdetective View Post
    May have to grab some of the tognar plugs then. Was planning to run up to Home Depot and grab a dowel then pound it in. They are only like $0.75
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I use blunted wood golf tees for hole plugs. Dremel them off, and you can use them again. Super cheap.
    I dab some touch up paint on the surface of the wood plug to seal them - seems to work fine. I use some old automotive touch up paint left over from a car I no longer own.
    Golf tees can often be really soft and made from pressed wood dust. Hardwood dowels form home depot would be your best bet.
    The binding screw shank is 4.1 mm and the thread width is 5.4mm. I've had good results using 5/32 (3.9688mm) hard wood dowels.

Margotrons method is perfectly overkill
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    In my opinion, these are the real tools of the trade — dies. When I plug a hole I use hardwood dowels and a die. I recut the hole w/ a sharp tap, then I inject epoxy into the bottom w/ a syringe (the syringes for dogs are good. Next just screw the wooden plug in. As far as I can tell, it is literally just like new. The pics below are plugged normal and insert holes. I view that ski as brand new for mounting purposes.

I messed up an insert mount by 2mm last year and chose to plug and mount on top of the dowel. Several DIN12 ejects later, everything is rock solid.

I also highly recommend G-Flex. Pricey stuff but you get a ton of it actually and it is just unmatched. I also like gorilla glue brand epoxy better than JB weld for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Margotrons method is perfectly overkill
    Sounds like a solid method. On the topic of epoxy, should I have orange hardmann or JB Weld. Is one better than the other for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I'm just trying to prevent some guy from ruining some new to him skis by trying to remount FKS heels 1cm away from old holes.
    Not aggro, I'm just tired of seeing bad advice being given on here.
    90% of all the binding ripouts my shop fixed were FKS heels. Trying to give the right advice. If that seems aggro sorry.
    I don't really have a dawg in this fight cuz the FKS is not even on my radar but I was looking at HOW CLOSE together the screws are on the heel of an FKS compared to the spacing on the other brands and wondered if maybe that is why they pull out??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I don't really have a dawg in this fight cuz the FKS is not even on my radar but I was looking at HOW CLOSE together the screws are on the heel of an FKS compared to the spacing on the other brands and wondered if maybe that is why they pull out??
    For sure, the close mounting pattern has some negatives, and the short mounting point has some positives.
    My above points were trying to highlight some pointers on how to reduce the risk of mounting mistakes that lead to pull out.

Yeah so IME its always good in tech discussions to give valid reasons for your POV

SO you might have said to buddy

"hey you stupid cunt this is why you shouldn't move the Heel piece "

and then assuming you are Canadian you will be moved to apologize

some thing along the lines of " I'm sorry you are a stupid cunt "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

orange hardmann epoxy and or any slow set marine epoxy would be preferred.

Sounds like a solid method. On the topic of epoxy, should I have orange hardmann or JB Weld. Is one better than the other for this?

G flex

I haven't done this with many epoxies, but after finishing a job, I spread out the remaining Gflex into a thin film on the piece of cardboard I mixed it on.

After a 24 hour cure, I was amazed at how much I could flex it with no signs of cracking.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-29-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Another G Flex fan here, I switched to it five or so years ago, amazing stuff

G flex and hardman are both great stuff. I use hardman because it comes in individual packets, so I don’t have to worry about wasting a larger quantity of g flex because I use it very infrequently. I just try to do a bunch of jobs that require epoxy at the same time. If I was still in the shop, g flex is more convenient because you can mix exactly the quantity you need for each job.

those are amazing.

what size are those, as well as your other RXs?

Another mounting session in the garage. This time mounting my lady friends new touring setup.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sin7 start.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	262228

Bindings came off her 170 Volkl Kikus, which were a little to much ski for her. The sin7 should be much better for her on both the up and down.

Name:	sin7 finish.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	262229

I even got her skins re-cut and trimmed. Ready to go. Speaking of, a minor rant but not a big fan of the Black Diamond tip loop that uses the three tiny screws instead of the old fold back.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Happy 2019
    Uno mas