Page 275 of 275 FirstFirst ... 270 271 272 273 274 275
Results 6,851 to 6,863 of 6863
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    Is there any merit to removing bindings and checking out your mount job at the end of the season? Still a bit new to Mounting My Own Fucking Skis, and haven’t had a catastrophe yet, but am still wondering if there would be anyway to know it’s coming.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    at some point be it the end of this season or the beginning of next season its smart to check the screws

do it now and you got more time to fix fucked up stuff

so yeah make sure they are not spinning and if they are I would do the epoxy & FG hack
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://skiandbikemag.com/tales-from-the-shop/

for your reading enjoyment, I may know the author, let me/him know what you think
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post

for your reading enjoyment, I may know the author, let me/him know what you think

I disagree, as long as the mount isn’t a tech binding or a freehand template, the shop should be covering the 20 minute mount. There are a lot of times we would throw in an edge and wax. 30 minutes of labor and minimal materials needed isn’t a lot to eat as a shop between mark up and keeping a customer happy and returning. That rule also only applies if it’s a ski and binding that were bought from the shop. I would not ever think of comping a mount if they didn’t purchase both from the shop.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

FFS. Why should a tech binding mount not be free? Tech bindings cost more that alpine bindings that doesn’t cover it?

Run your business however you want. I hope the guy is still in business charging his customers an honest price for fairly paid technicians doing good work.

And mount your own fucking skis.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post

I’ll bite. I appreciate your willingness to put this piece out there. It’s clever and humorous; I think ultimately there’s a morale that we may complicate our experience sometimes being thrifty.

I feel like I’ve been on both sides of that story after 25 years of working in the outdoor industry. I also think real friends don’t ask for deals but are willing to pay full boat to help a friend succeed. That being said, having managed a ski shop, if an actual friend bought skis and bindings I’d probably toss them a soda and put the jig on and drill and mount them myself while we shared a story or two.

As I read this I couldn’t help but cycle through the complicated feelings and love / hate relationship the ski industry has with affluence.

I often come full circle back to my initial observation of lift access skiing from when I first experienced it as 21 year old. We’re strapping two boards to our feet to slide on snow? Nothing after that is going to make much sense. The whole experience defies logic. Both the beauty and the bane of the whole endeavor.

A free mount comes with a ski/ binding purchase but if you bring in a ski or binding to be mounted you will pay is pretty standard

My store now, if you buy it here it is included. Alien gear is you pay.
    Tech bindings are a pain to mount (I'm looking at you Dynafit and your stupid Torx screws) and all the fiddly bits that were put in the box attached but fell off in transit. I say that and we sell ATK (unreadable release settings), Dynafit, G3, Fritschi, Marker and CAST.

For extra mounting pleasure every tele binding should be double the cost to mount no matter where it was purchased.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

Tele mounts might be slower but also easier? Off-center toe, or heel not exactly right, and you’re still good to go. I hate mounting alpine bindings. Too much accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Tele mounts might be slower but also easier? Off-center toe, or heel not exactly right, and you’re still good to go. I hate mounting alpine bindings. Too much accuracy.

no heelpiece so mounting tele is way faster IME so you can drink a lot of beer or do some fentanyl and it will still turn out great cuz its only tele !

Are you even a tele skier if you don't use one of these?

Mounted some new sticks. Put Salomon Strive 12s on them using Knut's Warden 11 template. I had written that the heel needed to be mounted 8mm "short" for the heel to be in the middle of the adjustment range on the template. Since I didn't remember writing that, I tested on a 2x4. Sure enough, when moving the heel forward 8mm, the heel piece was dead in the center of the adjustment range. Don't know if Knut is still following this thread but some input if you are....

To clarify, the BSL on my boot was embossed at 316mm (it's actually closer to 312mm). So I mounted the toe using the BSL listed and mounted the heel at 308mm on the template.

Would post pics but....

Yup - what you found is exactly the same as what I’ve seen on the warden 11 template for the strive. Thankfully if you mount to actual BSL the heel piece has enough room to move in and get to proper fwd pressure, but your “8mm shorter” approach would be better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ true but if you go down a shell size, you will likely have to remount to get forward pressure in range

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums