Page 204 of 275 FirstFirst ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 6863
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    dont try that at home kids
    thats a ya wanna have some cereal time at the mount bench
    bro trick
    im not sure wtf the kids did with the one with a safety stop
    kinda nice being in retail and not production mounting for cyberspace this season
    but if ya wanna job mounting skis all day in a warehouse
    they been trying to hire since july
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Using a tap in an electric drill looks sketchy so i don't think i would let that guy touch my skis

I am curious what kind of Kush you wana be on for power screwing a ski ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-22-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    its not calgon
    nor a secret
    Confucius say
    easy on the trigger finger
    and a rainbow topper always brightens
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

SFB knows his shit, and was super helpful when teaching me to mount my own fucking skis. I would trust him with any of my skis. I've gone on and taught 6 other people to mount their own fucking skis, it's worked every time so far. Here is the most recent victim - a pair of icelantic naturals.

Does anyone have a good video on how to mount pivots? Thinking of printing one of rfconroy's templates and having a go at it myself, but I'm a little worried about setting forward pressure and getting everything right here.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

^pm'd
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    SFB knows his shit, and was super helpful when teaching me to mount my own fucking skis. I would trust him with any of my skis. I've gone on and taught 6 other people to mount their own fucking skis, it's worked every time so far. Here is the most recent victim - a pair of icelantic naturals.

Does anyone have a good video on how to mount pivots? Thinking of printing one of rfconroy's templates and having a go at it myself, but I'm a little worried about setting forward pressure and getting everything right here.

Yeah yeah we know, I couldn't help myself though. I don't have the stones or the steady hand to tap with a drill driver, especially if it was inserts or a cast mount.

So for your pivot mount the most helpful thing I've learned so far is to drill out the extra plastic in the heel screw holes just enough so that the screw threads don't engage with the binding. Then when I'm installing the binding, I set the heel on the ski and start the two front screws. Use an Irwin clamp or two to compress the brake/turntable area and hold the binding flat to the ski, then get your heel screws most of the way in. Then you can remove the clamps and do your favorite version of iteratively tightening the screws.

The drilling out the plastic part is especially helpful if you are trying to find the threads in existing holes or a new tapped hole.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Drill in left hand, ski tip going to the right, holding the jig with one hand while no pressure is being applied to top of drill, rando holding ski.
    Sick method, guy. SFB taught you well. Holy fuckballz!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Drill in left hand, ski tip going to the right, holding the jig with one hand while no pressure is being applied to top of drill, rando holding ski.
    Sick method, guy. SFB taught you well. Holy fuckballz!
    He's left handed. Jig is attached to the ski. I just had my hand on the ski for the photo.

But hey man, love your stoke and your enthusiasm, keep it up.

Just do a trail mount on a piece of wood/beater ski to see if you land perfectly in the middle using a template, adjust accordingly / ro more remounts, and do it with the ski in question. I did not the first time I used Po's template and landed +5mm, but have since figured it out (280 front + 310rear to land on the center band for a 293 mount - found through trial and error on a piece of wood ).

As for forward pressure - there is a fairly long thread on the matter, but to sum it up; the lip of the dildo and the upside of the rear lip should be parallell, and the dildo should not move to easily when yanked side to side while the forward pressure adjuster is on the line (remember to reset the mechanism by moving the heel to 90 degrees and back again between each adjustment on the dildo attachment rods). Do yes, a bit of feel and not an exact sience.

I have not seen any videos depicting this, and the original skimonster webpage cannot be accessed by me anymore for some reason - do not know if it is up.

He's left handed. Jig is attached to the ski. I just had my hand on the ski for the photo.

But hey man, love your stoke and your enthusiasm, keep it up.

Ski tips always go left, always. For fucks sake man. First time that guy has held a drill? Two hand that fucker like you mean it. So much fail n that picture.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I've used the paper template a few times now - works mint, doesn't require any adjusting. Lay it out to your BSL and you'll have proper forward pressure at the middle mark in the heel adjustment range.

Finding centers is pretty easy with a set of digital calipers, use an awl to mark your center and drill holes. If you don't have ski specific bits you can use a drill stop collar and a set of calipers to set the depth. A tap guide can help you keep it all straight if you're worried about that. Measure it all out two or three times if you're doing it by hand. Shoot, I measure it all two or three times and I'm using a Bridgeport mill to mount.

The jig needing to be adjusted seems odd - why wouldn't Rossignol / Look have just designed it to be in the middle of the range with the BSL set? This threw me off the first time and made me second guess the paper templates - but the templates are dead on in my experience.

Ski tips always go left, always. For fucks sake man. First time that guy has held a drill? Two hand that fucker like you mean it. So much fail n that picture.
    Love it. Love the stoke and great advice. Only way to get good at something is to suck at it and learn from your sucking, so appreciate the feedback.

--

Haven't fucked up a pair of skis yet, and I've probably done 15-20 mounts, including 4 quiver killer mounts. They all work and ski great.

Thanks for the advice on Pivot mounting, super helpful.

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

SFB taught to you point the tips right? Seriously? Do you have a binding tester also? Or do you just set them at 10 and say fuck it? If you don’t cycle the toes and heels out of the box, you’re doing it wrong.
    crab in my shoe mouth

SFB taught to you point the tips right? Seriously? Do you have a binding tester also? Or do you just set them at 10 and say fuck it? If you don’t cycle the toes and heels out of the box, you’re doing it wrong.
    SFB taught me to be a good member of the community, to help others, share freely, and to most importantly not be a complete shitwipe. So far those lessons have served me really well.

The Pivot mount mentioned above will actually be my first alpine binder mount job. I've done shifts, tectons, and a ton of ATK binding mounts, but never a true alpine binder. Stoked to give it a try.

Two-handed?
    Maybe for a paddle mixer or heavy duty hammer drilling…

“Two hand that fucker like you mean it”
    Hahahaha

No please, by all means keeping teaching that sick method, guy. Just make sure you keep taking pictures!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Two-handed?
    One on the trigger/handle and one on the top to push down. You want it to be fast and steady.
    crab in my shoe mouth

No please, by all means keeping teaching that sick method, guy. Just make sure you keep taking pictures!
    Yep absolutely will do. Keep up the super helpful feedback! Nothing like hearing from someone who has dedicated their life to a pursuit that took me an hour to learn how to do. It's like learning how to cook rice from a Japanese sushi Sensei. Or like learning how to flip burgers from someone who has spent their life working at McDonald's.

So SFB is a loser for being a shop guy? Hmmm
    crab in my shoe mouth

One on the trigger/handle and one on the top to push down. You want it to be fast and steady.
    Ahh that's actually a super helpful tip. I'll try to model it next time. Killer.

Not sure why tips to the left if you are only doing one pair at a time, but I get it in a production environment.

So SFB is a loser for being a shop guy? Hmmm
    SFB is one of the coolest, most stoked dudes I have met. He has a gear room that would make pretty much any skier jealous, a fucking amazing garden, and a beautiful home. More importantly, SFB understands the value of community, mentorship, and kindness - things that I haven't seen you demonstrate in this thread.

I don't give a rat's ass what SFB does for work, if it allows him to lead the life that he does and be the kind of person that he is, he's clearly doing something right. We could all learn from him. Even if he taps with a drill - ballsy as fuck.

Yep, keep teaching that sick method, guy. Have you ever actually looked at a ski? Tips go left on the bench for a reason. Figure it out smart guy.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb0ldDad View Post
    What if someone is ambidextrous? First ski tip to left, drill with right hand, second ski tip to right, drill with left hand?
    handle/post
    crab in my shoe mouth

Tapping with a drill is how it’s done, hand taps are prone to snapping off, when that happens, shit gets real ugly.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Yep, keep teaching that sick method, guy. Have you ever actually looked at a ski? Tips go left on the bench for a reason. Figure it out smart guy.
    I’m going to step in here and demonstrate my ignorance.

What is the reason for tips always left? I can come up with two possible answers: 1) having tips always point in the same direction makes sure you don’t accidentally mount bindings backwards (although always tips right could accomplish the same thing). Or 2) there’s an ergonomic benefit to working in that direction (but in that case it would make sense to switch to tips right if you’re left handed)