Page 205 of 275 FirstFirst ... 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,125 of 6863
    Wrong answer, keep trying.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Ski tips always go left, always. For fucks sake man. First time that guy has held a drill? Two hand that fucker like you mean it. So much fail n that picture.
    Legitimate question: can somebody explain to me why it would matter which directions the tips are facing?

I am relatively new to mounting my own fucking skis, but have been drilling holes and using fasteners for most of my life. I can't wrap my novice brain around why it would make a difference whether the tips are facing right or left on my workbench.

Wrong answer, keep trying.
    Ski companies all make any text on the bases upright in that direction, so when I post pics of me mounting my skis on TGR and Instagram I don’t look like a jong?

Boot center mark on the ski is normally on the left side? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb0ldDad View Post
    ...maybe some people can't read upside down.
    Really? I mean I get it if the text is too dense or the person actually reading is too slow/fast.

Think about how most jigs/templates are set up...maybe some people can't read upside down.
    If I knew how most jigs/templates were set up, I wouldn’t be reading the ‘mount your own fucking skis’ thread, now would I?

PSA: Mount your own fucking skis.

The center line or the dimple on skis is always on the left, all the pertinent info about the bit size and if it needs to be tapped is facing at you, when the tips are facing left, the jig fits on the ski facing at you, when the tips are facing left. It’s been this way forever Some of y’all get a B, others get a D+.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by juanrogera View Post
    Legitimate question: can somebody explain to me why it would matter which directions the tips are facing?

I am relatively new to mounting my own fucking skis, but have been drilling holes and using fasteners for most of my life. I can't wrap my novice brain around why it would make a difference whether the tips are facing right or left on my workbench.
    AFAIU it's a way to ensure you always mount toes & heels on the correct end of the mount plate. At least a few stories here of mags mounting backwards (SUF). There's no magic reason.

I have never worked in a shop or had any desire to but it strikes me if you are mounting a doz pair in a shift its all gona blurr together so with all the skis oriented the same its less likely a binding gets mounted backward
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I've used the paper template a few times now - works mint, doesn't require any adjusting. Lay it out to your BSL and you'll have proper forward pressure at the middle mark in the heel adjustment range.

Finding centers is pretty easy with a set of digital calipers, use an awl to mark your center and drill holes. If you don't have ski specific bits you can use a drill stop collar and a set of calipers to set the depth. A tap guide can help you keep it all straight if you're worried about that. Measure it all out two or three times if you're doing it by hand. Shoot, I measure it all two or three times and I'm using a Bridgeport mill to mount.

The jig needing to be adjusted seems odd - why wouldn't Rossignol / Look have just designed it to be in the middle of the range with the BSL set? This threw me off the first time and made me second guess the paper templates - but the templates are dead on in my experience.
    They say to dial down 5mm with their official jig for metal toe models:

"NOTE for Pivot/FKS bindings: For best range and adjustability, close the template 5mm from the actual boot sole length"

(p.9 of 2019 tech manual)

The center line or the dimple on skis is always on the left, all the pertinent info about the bit size and if it needs to be tapped is facing at you, when the tips are facing left, the jig fits on the ski facing at you, when the tips are facing left. It’s been this way forever Some of y’all get a B, others get a D+.
    D+ is a pass right? Going to head to the local shop and tell them I’m accredited and would they like to hire me.

Thanks.

I'll also use this opportunity to thank everybody for the insight on mounting my own fucking skis. Technicalities and techniques aside, I have viewed this thread largely as a conversation of encouragement. So far as I'm concerned, none of this is rocket science. We're drilling holes in a substrate and perhaps tapping threads before installing some fasteners. Measure two or three times, drill once, don't fuck it up, and you can do it. Before visiting this thread I likely would've taken my skis to a shop, but with the insight and encouragement here I've been inspired to do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by juanrogera View Post
    Thanks.

I'll also use this opportunity to thank everybody for the insight on mounting my own fucking skis. Technicalities and techniques aside, I have viewed this thread largely as a conversation of encouragement. So far as I'm concerned, none of this is rocket science. We're drilling holes in a substrate and perhaps tapping threads before installing some fasteners. Measure two or three times, drill once, don't fuck it up, and you can do it. Before visiting this thread I likely would've taken my skis to a shop, but with the insight and encouragement here I've been inspired to do it myself.
    I’ve mounted two pairs due to this thread. No issues.

Don’t remember which way the tips were facing, but skis seem to work better switch?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    the original skimonster webpage cannot be accessed by me anymore for some reason - do not know if it is up.
    https://theskimonster.com/blog/posts...-ski-bindings/

Most obvious
    Adjustment handles for the clamping mechanism on jigs are situated for tips facing left.
    You only score a B as well

I was guessing that ^^ reason as well but I couldn't see any jigs to verify, obviously you don't wana open that handle inwards and knock yer can of cush all over the bench

also if yer right handed it will put your right hand/arm over the skis, so mounting tools are obviously all setup to work for a Righty
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Most obvious
    Adjustment handles for the clamping mechanism on jigs are situated for tips facing left.
    You only score a B as well
    Yeah but that’s obvious, and when I said the jig is facing you I kinda figured that was obvious.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Should get you a job anywhere but Walpole NH which is apparently a hot bed of ski tech talent.
    I work in a ski town across the river
    crab in my shoe mouth

Yeah but that’s obvious, and when I said the jig is facing you I kinda figured that was obvious.
    Yeah, it wasn't obvious, but I get it now. I understand werds aren't your strong suit.
    You still 'supervised' a mount that couldn't even correctly locate a toepiece on a center post screw.
    You now grade out @ D+

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yeah, it wasn't obvious, but I get it now. I understand werds aren't your strong suit.
    You still 'supervised' a mount that couldn't even correctly locate a toepiece on a center post screw.
    You now grade out @ D+
    buttahflake, if you and that D+ of yours want to tag along with me and mine when I head to the shop to apply, just let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    AFAIU it's a way to ensure you always mount toes & heels on the correct end of the mount plate. At least a few stories here of mags mounting backwards (SUF). There's no magic reason.
    I knew this was going to come up as soon as I saw talk of ski orientation.

Yes, I mounted a toe onto a brand new pair of Dead Chetlers backwards. Someone out there is rocking 2.25 mounts.
    swing your fucking sword.

TL/DR, but isn't easier to mount BINDINGS on my own fucking skis than it is to mount FUCKING SKIS?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I mounted one of my wife's Moment Reagans backwards (in my defense it's a pretty symmetric ski). Didn't notice until I stood it up next to the other one and the bindings were in different spots (both were mounted on the line). Fortunately it was a plate binding so most of the holes were covered by the remount.

I am looking at mounting Attacks on two pairs of skis. This will be my time with Attacks. My first question is brake size. One ski is a 102 and the other is a 120, Brake options are 95, 110 and 130. Do I go with 95s on the 102s or 110s. And 110s on the 120s or 130s?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    SFB taught me to be a good member of the community, to help others, share freely, and to most importantly not be a complete shitwipe. So far those lessons have served me really well.

The Pivot mount mentioned above will actually be my first alpine binder mount job. I've done shifts, tectons, and a ton of ATK binding mounts, but never a true alpine binder. Stoked to give it a try.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    stop by i have the jig
    pass the safety and ski tips to the left hand side
    i used to haz a safety team vest
    but we failed to pass huggy bear ran up on er
    flipped our shit and swam hells 1/2 acre
    and among other things the river took it

back to buttercunt
    doin angry sober buttercunt
    tyros brakes bend best no prob bending the smallers out
    i miss the old 97/98 and still have a few
    the new 95 dont do the 100- 105 ish as well
    oh and i rareley tap more than a couple turns to start threads thru the metal top sheet .
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno